No announcement yet.

NuHit users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did any large board admins try Vaultwiki?

If yes, then what was your experience?
    I buy 420 forums

I've decided to go ahead and give it an honest, open-minded try now on our production site. We will be testing it over the next week or so and I will let you know!

Comment

Thats great to read. I will be following your updates with interest.
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

We did the initial installation yesterday, and so far, surprisingly, so good. The conversion of NuWiki articles (we had around 2,000 of them) was a snap. That said, the software is pretty buggy. There are a lot of untested issues -- the software could use with a thorough code/bug audit -- and we have encountered and reported about a half dozen bugs (mostly with the installation/upgrade process, but also with things like the Template bbcode parser). We are also noticing a definite added strain on our server and are tracing it to how VaultWiki builds linking between articles and caches/uncaches them. We're going to continue testing it, but so far, the added features and functionality seem like a solid trade-off for the added performance hit, despite how buggy the software is.

Comment

After a few days of working with VaultWiki, I'd have to say it is definitely a mixed bag. I do not regret my purchase, because the added features and functionality are well worth it, as is the fact that this is being maintained by a very active, responsive, and professional developer.

That said, I re-affirm my assertion that the code is very buggy. We've run across dozens of errors over the weekend, many of them are trivial malformed queries that break entire functions; some of them create incompatibilities between NuWiki and VaultWiki during the conversion process. To pegasus' credit, he gets fixes out usually same-day (though sometimes the fixes themselves have typos). While the code integrity of the VaultWiki product can be rated as mediocre at best, I think that the overall status of the project is in fairly good hands, especially if pegasus keeps up his commitment and continues building the product as he has maintained and demonstrated over the past few months.

Comment

Performance wise, VaultWiki will hit dedicated enterprise platforms a bit harder than NuWiki did -- the added features/functionality will do that. I recommend disabling Auto Linking and Headers, including AJAX functions, to reduce (but not totally eliminate) the added processing footprint that VaultWiki places on your servers.

I will continue using VaultWiki (as I am now committed to seeing it a success on our forums), and report back with any other perspectives. For now, I suggest that Big Board Admins who are taking a "wait and see" approach to give this a try on a non-production environment, given how buggy and disruptive some of the errors/issues might be.

Comment

Your conclusion so far indicates to me that Vaultwiki is in need of another developer, to support Pegasus for code integrity and stability of the one-man project. Or at least someone that will audit the complete code.
              Please keep us updated with any news, further information and thoughts. I am very interested and am checking back daily.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

All in all, I think the prospects for this product are very good. Even though it is clear that pegasus is a one-man show with regards to development, he is very responsive, professional, and attentive and it is clear that he wants this product to succeed. He is using a standard developmental methodology (instead of an Agile approach), based around the vB Project Tool, but it is serving him very well with regards to issue-tracking, milestone-setting, and problem mitigation.

I definitely encourage admins wanting to try this out to do so cautiously, but comfortably. I have personally already ditched NuWiki altogether and have reported a high number of bugs and gotten fixes mostly within the same-day, making my VaultWiki run fairly well. I plan to roll this out to our users this week.

Comment

I see you've been checking the VaultWiki forums frequently. You will see that pegasus has been very responsive and helping us address some of the numerous unforeseen bugs. Each Release Candidate appears to have significant new features (such as RC2 will have a complete rewrite of the parser), so one quick take-away from his design/development methodology is not to consider Release Candidates as RC's which follow the industry standard definition; in many cases, these are still Betas given the number of brand new, untested features/functionality he is including in them. That said, I am pretty excited about the direction of VaultWiki and Pegasus seems to incorporate most sensible performance-minded suggestions.

Comment

Yes, I am keeping a close eye on it. I dont think we should expect something from IB anytime soon. My site gets 5-10k concurrent users at any given time and I am not confident enough to try vaultwiki out yet. I'd love to give the functionality to my members, but IF Vaultwiki would fail on my site, then I would not have a clue how to get back to NuWiki, except restore an old backup and thereby loosing all posted content between the backup date and the date that Vaulwiki would turn out to be a impossibility for my site.
                    Your trials are very hopeful as you have a very large database.
                    I buy 420 forums

Comment

Yes, I definitely think that VaultWiki is not for the faint of heart, but if you have a lot of courage, you can make it out-perform (feature-and-functionality-wise) NuWiki easily.

Comment

I am still going to say that VaultWiki, as it stands now, is a mixed bag for an out-of-box installation, but if you are patient and willing to undergo a couple of perilous days, you should be able to have a fairly low-risk upgrade to the system. Just be prepared for a lot of bugs that may not become apparent until the product is actually installed on your configuration. And be prepared for somewhat of a transition to get your NuWiki documents looking like they should.

Comment

I see Kmike is now also experimenting with Vaultwiki for his big board.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

I am installing Vaultwiki on a copy of my big board. I will report back.
                            I buy 420 forums

Comment

I migrated from NuWiki to Vaultwiki when I went to vB4. The migration was not without it's difficulties. However, Pegasus over at Vaultwiki.org is very responsive to questions and bug reports. I have been very impressed with his response time for critical bugs.

I will note that while my migration was a PITA, Pegasus has fixed several bugs that were affecting the migration script. Please NOTE that right now, only the latest version of each wiki entry is imported. I've heard that you can import all of the edits, but that's a discussion best left to a private conversation between you and Pegasus.

Once you understand the categories feature of Vaultwiki and you don't have to worry about the hard limit of entries per forum like NuWiki had, all sorts of possibilities open up. My users have finally started forgive me for upgrading to vB4, and a large part of that was Pegasus over at Vaultwiki being so responsive to my requests and bug reports.

Comment

NuHit users

About this Group

This group is dedicated to NuHit users that want to stay in touch with their products if anything goes wrong with NuHit site.
                              Type: Public
                              Topics: 17
                              Comments: 103

Owner

Latest Group Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X