Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking to migrate from phpbb

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking to migrate from phpbb

    I have a large phpbb board that I want to migrate. I plan to install vb3 can4 on my server, get everything built, modded, tweaked, then migrate my phpbb forum database over.

    -Is there or will there be a phpbb2.0.6 to vb3 migration tool soon? I heard someone mention you have to go 2.3.4 then v3 (if so this might be a showstopper because I want to completely tweak v3 then migrate my db, not migrate to 2.3.4 then go to vb3, then tweak)
    -Is it ok to modify release cand4 templates and code now?
    -When v3 goes gold, will there be an updated files list supplied so I don't loose my hacks or templating?
    -does anyone know if photopost supports vb3 yet?
    -I would like to wait for vb3 gold but it sounds like this release is pretty much gold and I want to migrate my site within the next 3 months.

    Thanks, -love the wysiwyg editor by the way!

  • #2
    I do advice to goto 2.3.4 first
    you don't have to migrate your database at all
    When 2.3.4 is done, upgrade instantly to 3.0.0 rc4
    and you can start working.

    There really is no difference between upgrading to rc4 directly or taking a short step into 2.3.4 first. The only important thing is that the database upgrade goes properly, going from phpbb to vb2 to vb3 is the best thing to do right now to ensure it goes well.

    Good luck!



    Oh, I think photopost has vb3 integration already yes.

    And you can modify templates, and files, but when you upgrade to the next vb3 build you have to possibly revert some templates and re-apply your tweaks to get them to work properly again and definitly need to re-apply it to all the new files.php again for they are always overwritten with each upgrade. You are best of keeping track of source code hacks installed to avoid forgetting one.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks floris,

      I think it will be too much work for me to build a 2.3.4 site, then move over my active phpbb site, then upgrade to vb3, then customize the vb3 after migrating. I'm trying to make it as seemless as possible to the users with minimal downtime. I don't really want them on a 2.3.4 site, then upgraded to a v3 site, then waiting for me to get all of the mods working on v3. Ideally I would take the site down for a week and do it all but I think it's too busy for that. Maybe I could take it down for a weekend and manage to get it done. It's probably best I wait until there is a phpbb 2.0.6 to vb3 converter but I have no idea when this will be available >3 weeks 3months? I wish I could code one myself

      I suppose I could go ahead and build the vb3 site completely, then just pray a vb3 converter comes out soon and migrate then.

      Comment


      • #4
        Technically I don't think you would have to install any modifications of vB3. You've got so much in vB3 that I think it will be quite a while before you install any modifications.

        A possible idea is you can make a backup of your current phpBB board, and run tests on the import procedure. If everything goes fine, close your board down for a while, and make the necessary conversion over on a clean install of vB3 again. This way, you minimize downtime
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by sross
          Thanks floris,

          I think it will be too much work for me to build a 2.3.4 site, then move over my active phpbb site, then upgrade to vb3, then customize the vb3 after migrating. I'm trying to make it as seemless as possible to the users with minimal downtime. I don't really want them on a 2.3.4 site, then upgraded to a v3 site, then waiting for me to get all of the mods working on v3. Ideally I would take the site down for a week and do it all but I think it's too busy for that. Maybe I could take it down for a weekend and manage to get it done. It's probably best I wait until there is a phpbb 2.0.6 to vb3 converter but I have no idea when this will be available >3 weeks 3months? I wish I could code one myself

          I suppose I could go ahead and build the vb3 site completely, then just pray a vb3 converter comes out soon and migrate then.
          It takes 3 minutes to do a fresh install of 2.3.4 and then 3 more minutes to setup some forums.

          Then run the importer and get that done.

          Then upgrade to version 3.0.0 which takes another 5 minutes tops and you are done.

          After which you can build up the final site as you please.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by floris
            It takes 3 minutes to do a fresh install of 2.3.4 and then 3 more minutes to setup some forums.

            Then run the importer and get that done.

            Then upgrade to version 3.0.0 which takes another 5 minutes tops and you are done.

            After which you can build up the final site as you please.
            Sounds very doable then. So one last thing, you said take a backup of my phpbb db and then run the vb import. Will the phpbb to vb import script impact my phpbb data? I am hoping the import script only has read access and doesn't actually manipulate any phpbb data. Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              I think the phpBB import script comes with a small manual or instructions, I have never run it, so I didn't read that part. I don't think it does though.

              Comment


              • #8
                It's not really necessary to backup your phpBB database although in general principle you should always backup everything anyway.

                The import script reads the phpBB db, but it doesn't touch it or modify it in any way. You should make sure your phpBB forum is turned off during the import though.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                Steve Machol Photography


                Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  The import script reads the phpBB db, but it doesn't touch it or modify it in any way. You should make sure your phpBB forum is turned off during the import though.
                  Userid #'s are changed during import and the original poster asked about PhotoPost. Yes, PhotoPost now supports VB3 however... if you have a current gallery and current forum to convert to VB you will completely ruin your gallery. I've just been through this process and know of 4 others that have lost all their images because of it.

                  phpBB2 sets admin as user#2 > VB uses #1. Any deleted members from your current list have left missing userid #'s > VB will renumber them sequentially. Once converted you end up with a gallery with every single image, comment, and profile linked to the wrong user or no user at all.

                  To VB's credit I have heard from a developer for the import scripts and have provided him before and after user tables as reference to find a solution. PhotoPost considers it as "not their problem" at this time. Starting with a new install of either one and you are fine to integrate.
                  Bryan Ex
                  Member
                  Last edited by Bryan Ex; Mon 8 Mar '04, 9:05pm.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bryan Ex
                    Userid #'s are changed during import and the original poster asked about PhotoPost. .
                    I was responding to this question:

                    Originally posted by sross
                    Will the phpbb to vb import script impact my phpbb data?
                    The answer to this is no. The import script does not alter the actual phpBB database in any way.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                    Steve Machol Photography


                    Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have phpbb 2.0.6

                      Where can I get the converter at to get all my stuff over to my VB3?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There isn't one for VB3 yet. You have to convert to VB2 first, then upgrade but I believe they are getting close. There's the "official" converter available from the jelsoft members area or a good hacked version on vbulletin.org from "Nubula" that carries over more data (like custom avatars for example).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As far as avatars and sigs..im not worried about that. Just members/posts/and counts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Go with the jelsoft version then... available for download from the members area.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X