Nuke6.8 with phpBB -> vB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuke6.8 with phpBB -> vB?

Well I'm thinking of converting my forums to vB and had a couple of questions.

• I guess my main concern is importing all my current users and their forum posts from my current db (Nuke 6.8 w/ phpBB forums - phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner'sphpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4). Is this possible? Is this importer come with vb or do I have to find an unsupported importer for this task?
    • What is the banning like in vB? I've only had to ban one person in the 2+ years my forums have been up but you never know when you will need to ban a troublemaker. Can I ban by IP,hostname, username, and or email?
    • What are some good front end CMS that work well for vB. I'm a little tired of all the patching Nuke requires and am looking to raise the look of my site.
    • As I understand it, you receive a lic. for the domain you purchase vB for. How do I go about setting up a test forum on another box?
    • Are the beta versions also locked to a domain when testing?
    Thanks for your time, Looking forward to porting my 4000+ members to vB.
    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

The license is a per instance.
    If you run 500 domains that point to 1 directory with vbulletin files, (one instance) you have to have 1 license for that instance.

If you run 3 instances, you are required to have 3 licenses.

IF you own a license, you are allowed to make a private (and temporary!) test forum for development in a directory called testvb/ or vbtest/

You can ban a user account by username, he can't login to the site no more using that username/password combination anymore. He could log out and clear his cookies and register on a new username again. But you can also ban on email and even host address. Which makes it harder for the user to register again. Of course, .. a user who wants to bypass bans can always try to cycle proxies as much as possible and use unknown free email accounts to bypass any set ban. But .. you can try your best

For the CMS, Jelsoft has one in development for version 3.x right now - but you can't download that yet. cPublish is also in development, but that one is not freeware I think - nor downloadable yet. vB Index and vB Advanced and a few others are free for download I think through vBulletin.org and vBulletin.nl

Some hint more towards being a portal then cms, some are more frontpages then a cms or portal. You just have to browse around
    Last edited by Floris; Mon 23 Feb '04, 12:21pm.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to see I would be able to ban via hostname if the need ariases.

Anyone know about the Nuke 6.8 importer?

Again thanks for all your help.
      Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

We do not offer a Nuke 6.8 importer. There is a phpBB importer but whether it would work on your highly modified system is unknown. We only support the stock phpBB database in our importer.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by rudedog1968
          Well I'm thinking of converting my forums to vB and had a couple of questions.

• I guess my main concern is importing all my current users and their forum posts from my current db (Nuke 6.8 w/ phpBB forums - phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner'sphpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4). Is this possible? Is this importer come with vb or do I have to find an unsupported importer for this task?
          • What is the banning like in vB? I've only had to ban one person in the 2+ years my forums have been up but you never know when you will need to ban a troublemaker. Can I ban by IP,hostname, username, and or email?
          • What are some good front end CMS that work well for vB. I'm a little tired of all the patching Nuke requires and am looking to raise the look of my site.
          • As I understand it, you receive a lic. for the domain you purchase vB for. How do I go about setting up a test forum on another box?
          • Are the beta versions also locked to a domain when testing?
          Thanks for your time, Looking forward to porting my 4000+ members to vB.
          There's a good chance you can find a PHPNuke's PHPBB importer to go to phpBB directly and then you can import to vBulletin
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into the nuke -> phpbb importer.

Unfortunitly this will effect my pruchase but I'll keep an eye out just in case you offer this in the furture.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X