php licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• php licensing

I thought there was something in the license for php that says no code written in the php language can be sold or made a profite on? how can vbulletin sell the code without having any free downloads of it? if I were to find a copy of it online someplace, would it be illegal to use it?

Matthew Kemmerer
    Mattsoft.net

As far as I'm aware, PHP itself (the programming language), can not be sold or profited from. PHP Development, such as what is made out of PHP, can be profitted from.

Yes it would be illegal to use a find a pirated copy and use it. That's why Jelsoft has a team to go after people who commit piracy.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I thought maybe there was a look hole or something that vbulletin found in the lisencing agreement for php that they used to sell their code. so as far as you know, selling php code is 100% legal? I have a project I've been working on that I wanted to sell, but a friend of mine said it would be illegal to sell it.

btw, I think the forum is nice, but too overpriced.

Comment

There are many companies which sell products which utilize PHP (Jelsoft, Kayako, etc.). I doubt they would be doing so if it were illegal, especially since Jelsoft (vBulletin) has been around since 2000, selling vBulletin.

As for it being overpriced: To each his own. If you believe it is too expensive, you can choose one of many alternatives (keeping in mind that vBulletin is a commercial product, designed for businesses; and is not designed to compete with free bulletin boards like phpBB, et. al.).
        - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

I don't know if your friend is a lawyer or not, but as far as we know, (and I've looked at the agreement over and over again....) you can sell the product you make from PHP code.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I think maybe my friend was reading the acreement and saw the php code cannot be sold. as in the source code for php itself. oh well, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

I think this page here will answer your question.

http://www.php.net/license/

Q. The Zend license says I may not charge money for stuff I sell along with Zend. Does that mean I cannot sell PHP scripts or web sites that I build?

A. No. Not at all. This clause only concerns software built around the Zend scripting engine library, not scripts that PHP executes, using that library. You are free to distribute PHP source code you write freely or commercially, without any concern about the PHP or Zend licenses. You may also package PHP as a whole with your commercial applications as much as you want. You just can't build commercial applications that use the Zend scripting engine library directly.
              We do not use the Zend Engine directly nor do we issue patches to it and therefore we are not obligated to the terms of that license.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X