Overall comparison between vbulletin and UBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall comparison between vbulletin and UBB

hi, first off I will admit that my impression of vbulletin in the past has been negative most likely mainly due to my lack of experience with it. If I have posted anything in the past (I honestly can't remember if I have) that shows this, please just disregard it.

I currently use UBB.Classic 6.6.7 and am thinking of moving to a mySQL/php powered solution rather than using the flat-file system that classic uses. I will admit that I really dislike UBB.threads b/c the interface is ridiculously horrible (at least from what I've seen).

One thing that I've heard, is that most bulletin boards are ripped from Infopop code and also that Infopop concentrates on security and stability more than other companies, while other companies concentrate on features more than Infopop. What's the truth behind this? Is this a valid statement? How secure is the code for vBulletin?

Also, I was not able to find any info about the import from UBB.Classic 6.7 to vBulletin. Is this currently possible?

Are vBulletin boards spider friendly (URL wise)? Is there a template/style perhaps anywhere that makes vBulletin look like UBB.classic? The BIGGEST draw for me to classic was the interface. It seems MUCH more friendly than any other board out there. If vBulletin could somehow look and feel like Classic to users.. or at least as easy and logical as it, I would have no reason not to switch really.

Don't get me wrong, I love Classic so far, however looking down the road, I can see the flat file database system becoming a problem with my site as it grows. While the strength behind this is obvious for users who can't use a database, I think this is an issue of the past as most hosts will provide mySQL db's and in my case, I'll be moving to hosting myself in the near future.

Any information you guys could offer would help. I know that this might be the wrong place to ask as I've gotten the impression from reading posts here that all or most of you hate UBB and Infopop with a passion, however I still would like to gather some opinions.

ok... well given that this was my first post, I guess I haven't said anything to get myself into trouble... whew.

Comment

• The vBulletin developers concentrate on security, but also respond to user requests for features. The few times a security vulnerability has been found, a patched file and/or instructions for fixing the problem are made available for download until a new version is released.
      • A lot of Infopop zealots will claim any other product does rip code and ideas from Infopop, just as some users here accuse others of doing to vBulletin. It is a matter of opinion, which is inaccurate.
      • I remember reading about someone else requesting a clone of the UBB.classic interface. If you search here or at vbulletin.org (the official hacking site), you may be able to find something, or request it/help with it at vbulletin.org.
      • As for (vB2) importers, the following are supported: Infopop's UBB5, 6.0 through 6.3, UBBThreads 5.4 (formerly wwwthreads), OpenTopic/UBB.x; vBulletin Lite, Ikonboard 2, Ikonboard 3, Invision Board 1.1 and 1.2, YABBSE 1.5.4, phpBB2, DC Forum, XMB, and ezboard (posts only, not members for ezboard).
        You can request an importer at vbulletin.org, or wait until vB3 is declared gold/stable and they begin migrating & adding importers for it.

I hope this helped (and made sense), and that you choose vBulletin.
      Last edited by Andy Z; Sun 25 Jan '04, 8:53pm. Reason: Posted updated importers list ;)
      - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

Ok.. I think I'll wait for v3 then.

is there perchance any type of competitive upgrade price? I doubt it but I figured I'd ask.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkS
          Ok.. I think I'll wait for v3 then.

is there perchance any type of competitive upgrade price? I doubt it but I figured I'd ask.
          To my knowledge, their is no such deal available. Sorry.
          - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

Hi Mark!

You must pay in full for the type of licensed you want, $80 for the lease and $160 for the owned. The $80 on will allow you to run one board for a year at which time you must pay $80 to re-new the lease of take the board offline. The owned licensed allows you to run vBulletin on one site for as long as you want, members area renew cost is $30 a year.

Comment

/me pokes at brad

its 85 usd a year to have a leased license

with vBulletin's template system you can make the whole thing look like whatever you want.

I personally dont like UBB / Infopop all that much but they were good for their time

vB3 is out in RC stages and ive been personally running it since beta 3, beta 4 live and have not had a single problem with it.

as of right now, IMO it is probally the best board there is out there, esp when you take eerything into consideration.

Fast support, A friendly community, a great hacking and template modifcation community. and Just the overall ease of use in the Adminstration Department

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                Hi Mark!

You must pay in full for the type of licensed you want, $80 for the lease and $160 for the owned. The $80 on will allow you to run one board for a year at which time you must pay $80 to re-new the lease of take the board offline. The owned licensed allows you to run vBulletin on one site for as long as you want, members area renew cost is $30 a year.
                yeah.... that's pretty much what I figured. Still though $160 is quite reasonable when you consider that it's only $60 more than converting from Classic to threads... which I REALLY don't want.

I would most definately purchase the full license if anything.

Also in case you didn't realize (however it seems you did), this is the same Mark from that *other* forum. looks like you caught me. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Z
                  To my knowledge, their is no such deal available. Sorry.
                  yeah.. I didn't see one on the site so I just assumed it didn't exist. It's not a prob though at all. Just wanted to make doubly sure.

/me pokes at brad

its 85 usd a year to have a leased license

with vBulletin's template system you can make the whole thing look like whatever you want.

I personally dont like UBB / Infopop all that much but they were good for their time

vB3 is out in RC stages and ive been personally running it since beta 3, beta 4 live and have not had a single problem with it.

as of right now, IMO it is probally the best board there is out there, esp when you take eerything into consideration.

Fast support, A friendly community, a great hacking and template modifcation community. and Just the overall ease of use in the Adminstration Department
                  Well, I can't really say anything necessarily bad about Infopop. My mistake was just not knowing what I REALLY wanted when I purchased UBB.classic. At the time I knew nothing about bulletin boards except for the fact that the board that I used the most used Classic. That was why I purchased it. I was comfortable with it. A year has passed and I've become comfortable with php however not perl so I'm reconsidering my options before I get to a point of no return.

Comment

O yea I spotted you, was going to say something but wasent 100% sure it was you

Comment

right that forum

vB3 is stable in my eyes there are tons of large sites whove been running vB3 and loving it

the only people who havent liked vB3 as ive seen are the ones who really dont like change

Comment

Originally posted by Brad.loo
                        O yea I spotted you, was going to say something but wasent 100% sure it was you
                        hehe... yep.. tis me indeed.

also... is there a hacks board for vbulletin like there is for Classic and Threads? You know? Like Ubbdev?

I think I'm going to install the free version and just start playing with it in the meantime to make sure that it's for me.. but it really looks like this will be a good solution. Is there an expected release date for v3 production release?

Comment

There is no set day but we are in RC stages, I would say one more RC release before gold tops unless something big is found wrong in the code.

vBulletin has a active hacking community at www.vbulletin.org, you can also view the template modification/style community at vBulletintemplates.com

Comment

ok... so here's the next logical question,

for those of you who have successfully sold your UBB.Classic license, where did you do so?

Comment

I'm going to guess that it's going to go straight from RC3 to the Gold release within the next few weeks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X