Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• legally run pirated vbulletin?

alright, here's my question

Earlier today, this guy i know who is running a non-registered copy of vbulletin told me this:

B) if you accessed that why not look a little closer, it is based off VBulletin as I publically stated, however if you look a little harder you will see it runs on Hololith which is slightly differed. The codebase of our engine is over 70% altered from Vbulletin's Code, and if you did your homework you would know that Vbulletin does not require purchase or registration of thier software for any alterations over 30%. So before you go running around thinking you know what you are talking about why not try and KNOW it first.
    in his profile at teh website which he and i are member of (non-vbulletin related)

for those of you who would like to talk ****, YES Withoutsin does resemble the software known as VBULLETIN, however it has been over 70% re-written and under the terms of the contract set forth by the makers of said software, they only require license for thier software if it is 30% or less re-designed. Otherwise the software does not need to be purchased nor does it require a license as it is no longer thier software by a longshot. Also if you really think you know something take a closer look and you will see that it is written based on a freely distributed beta of the v3 software they are working on which has NO limitations on use nor the availability to purchase. Therefore if you (UB3X) still believe that we are defying laws by using this software please feel free to push any class action you would like but be prepared as we have Lawyers of our own under employ and will be more than happy to counter suit for harrassment and slander... you have been warned
    The forum which is using the pirated version fo vb is <URL removed and reported>

thank you for your time.

love,
    mikey

Did he pay $85 for a leased license or $160 for an owned license? No? Then turn him into the local police for the felony he committed.

That percentage quote is complete bull.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Thanks for the response filburt1

His reply is that you're not a site admin, and that you don't know what you're talking about.

so... any vbulletin administrators around?

Comment

You can report boards running a suspected pirate copy of vBulletin here:http://www.vbulletin.com/contact/piracy.php

Comment

Sorry but this is a load of crap:

The codebase of our engine is over 70% altered from Vbulletin's Code, and if you did your homework you would know that Vbulletin does not require purchase or registration of thier software for any alterations over 30%. So before you go running around thinking you know what you are talking about why not try and KNOW it first.
          Not only is this not true, but the Powered by Hololith forums are distrubuted by a well-known software pirate and are illegal copies of vB.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I did a search on "Powered by Hololith". They have alot of forums out there :|. They have the vb logo from vb2 looks so getto .

Comment

Thanks for the information steve, i just reported the site using http://www.vbulletin.com/contact/piracy.php .

Also, props goes to you guys for making this great software, my hat goes off to all the people who helped in the creation of vBulletin.

Love,
              mikey

Comment

While "fair use" can't be defined with mathematical precision, courts have consistently held that "you cannot escape liability by showing how much of [a] work you did not take." Based on the particular facts of a given case, courts will weight the following factors to determine whether a particular use is a fair use: (i) the purpose of the use, including whether the use is primarily for commercial or noncommercial purposes; (ii) the nature of the work; (iii) the amount and importance of the portions used in relation to the whole of the original work; and (iv) the effect of the use on the potential market, or value of the original. Accordingly, even if what you copy is quantitatively small, it may be qualitatively important, and therefore an infringing use.

Taken from: The Law Offices of Lloyd J. Jassin www.copylaw.com

Comment

So are you basically saying that every single Hololith powered board is pirated?

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                    So are you basically saying that every single Hololith powered board is pirated?
                    Here is all you need:

Step 1:
                    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ed+by+Hololith
                    Step 2:
                    http://www.vbulletin.com/contact/piracy.php
                    Step 3:
                    Repeat...

If only there was a way to automate the process... :thinks:
                    Sig? What sig?

Comment

They even have the same version numbers as vB3 Betas...

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
                        Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Even if they had a real vB license, it is against the license agreement to rebrand the software - with or without the 'branding free' license.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Also, they never had a license to the software, so they should never have had access to the code to modify.
                          - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

How sad...

Comment

Well, I did some poking around.

Is the guy who does this a kid? Have you guys taken legal action yet? This software is obviously a rip...from the fact that there are many substandard boards using that software, to this supposed coder of 70% new material doesn't seem to have any more or any less functionality than one or two hacks would provide.

At least you can't download the software...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X