Purchase problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase problem...

Yesterday, I attempted to purchase vBulletin with my wife's Visa Debit Card. I got an email back from WorldPay stating that they had dismissed my order as it had been "flagged as high risk". Hmm. Okay. Then why was the money transferred from my account almost immediately--only to not have been refunded yet if my transaction was cancelled? I just deposited well over $500 into that account 3 days ago, and neither I nor my wife has withdrawn anything from the account, with the exception of the missing $160--the price of the vBulletin Board. Funds=there. Credit=irrelevant since it was deducted from my checking. What's the problem?

The explanation of the problem as to why my transaction was flagged "high risk" from WorldPay was vague at best, and have emailed about finding an answer to this. Granted, it's been a day, and on the weekend, but I thought I'd come here to see if I can find an answer more quickly.

Now I'm going to have to be bothered to open up this PayPal account I've started and wait for verification and funds to be transferred before I can try again, thus setting back my planned restructure of my website back longer.

Frankly, I understand why you're trying protect your interests by defending against credit card fraud, but this isn't even a Credit Card. Having had this happen to me, and doing a search finding that it's happened with others, it makes me worried how many sales vBulletin has lost due to people ordering in good faith and their orders just cancelled because of some paranoid "you've been flagged high risk" clause from an entirely seperate company. This also makes me wonder if it's worth all this blasted hassle just to get vBulletin or if I should just stick with the "freebie board".

I'm sorry if this post sounds antagonistic and/or sarcastic, but I guess I'm still miffed and disappointed at the trouble I'm having to deal with here. It seems like an easy process has been made more complicated than is necessary. I suppose I just had to vent my delimma in hopes that my problem may help vBulletin to become better. I hope.

Waiting for PayPal to make a deposit,
    Weirdwolf

The money should be refunded shortly.
    If I understand you correctly you have already sent in a support request to a vbulletin.com e-mail. James is the one who handles this, so a delayed reply would probably be due to the fact that he is not working today.
    Sorry for the problem, but it is up to WorldPay to refund the money.
    Also, Jelsoft makes the determination to reject transactions, but WorldPay is who notifies you.

Sorry, hope it gets straightened out soon.
    - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

What's your support ticket number? If we responded to you then we have given you ALL the information we have. We do not get any detailed information on why WP flags a purchase as high risk.

As for the funds, they weren't charge to your card. However the credit card company doesn't free the funds until they get confirmation from the credit card processor (i.e., WorldPay) that the charge was declined.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        What's your support ticket number?
        The only number I've been given is by WorldPay, I see nothing about a "support ticket number". Is the WorldPay number it? That number is 57659047.

As for the funds, they weren't charge to your card. However the credit card company doesn't free the funds until they get confirmation from the credit card processor (i.e., WorldPay) that the charge was declined
        But the card/account was charged. I'm missing $160, even though the transaction was declined. Why did they take the money and then reject the transaction, nothing is making sense. Like I said earlier in my post in this thread, this is just more trouble than it needs to be, IMO.

Comment

I thought you meant you emailed us, which is why I asked for the ticket number.

Since you want to take this public, your card was trhected for two reasons:

1. It failed the Card Verification Value check. AFAIXCT this means that some of the info you entered did not match the info for that card.

2. It received a 'waf.warning' rating. This is the highest warning WoprldPay issues. We do not have the specific criteria WorldPay uses to determine this rating. Unfortunately only they can answer this for you.

As for the funds I've already explained this:

However the credit card company doesn't free the funds until they get confirmation from the credit card processor (i.e., WorldPay) that the charge was declined.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Money is in the holding house...Jelsoft didn't collect.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              Money is in the holding house...Jelsoft didn't collect.
              Okay, fine, as long as it's refunded to my account, I will be attempting to purchase via PayPal as soon as my verification process is completed there. The rejection as Steve Machol said "AFAIXCT this means that some of the info you entered did not match the info for that card" was more than likely an error on my part--that which I can accept.

Now what I'm finding troublesome is that the funds were withdrawn to the holding account for WorldPay and then it was decided that there was a problem, but not before. I'm sorry, I understand that this isn't Jelsoft's jurisdiction, but rather WorldPay's and therefore my problem lies with them. It just doesn't seem like good business on WorldPay's part to me to accept someone's money and then decide they shouldn't take it, but rather decide whether or not to take it before the money is withdrawn. I understand now that you (Jelsoft) did not collect, but the problem therein lies with WorldPay. I've learned this personal lesson, steer clear of them I will. First impressions are usually lasting ones, and this one for WorldPay has not been a good one unfortunately. vBulletin has gained my trust, however with your timely and honest responses.

When this money is refunded to my account, I consider this particular matter resolved. Thank you gentlemen for your timely responses.

Weirdwolf

Comment

For what it's worth I think this is standard practice when a credit card is used for payment. The card issuer puts a hold on those funds until either the charge goes through, in which case they release the money to the vendor, or the charge is declined via a rejection notice from the credit card processor. What I don't know is the typical amount of time it takes to send and process such a notice.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

What I don't know is the typical amount of time it takes to send and process such a notice.
                  It takes anywhere from 3 business days to two weeks.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X