Import Process from phpBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Import Process from phpBB

I am currently running a phpBB mod (PNphpBB) on my website, and I was wondering about the import process to vBulletin. Since the mySQL database table names are just modified from the ordinary table names (all have the prefix "nuke_" added), I was wondering if this would affect the import of my forum's database to vBulletin, or can it be done at all? The PNphpBB2 is essentially phpBB 2 (version 2.0.5 that I have) modified to use the registration from PostNuke as the registration on the forums as well. Can this be done on vBulletin too? Not a problem if it isn't, I just think it would be a nice feature. Thanks in advance.

Importers should support table prefixes.

Comment

The prefix won't be a problem but any db changes you've made might be. Our import script expects to see the default phpBB tables and structure.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

so what should we do if the structure have been changed ?
        I already bought this software (VBulletin) for 1 week, and it's still not working (the import process)

Comment

To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please click HERE and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

If you still have problems after doing this, send an email to [email protected]. Please include your user name, then email address you registered with and your customer number so we can fix the problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Considering that PNphpBB is a mod of "regular" phpBB 2.0.5, if it won't import with the available import program to vBulletin, would it be possible to alter the tables to have the same table names/column names as a phpBB so it would import?

The reason I'm asking is that since I've started my website, I've bounced my members around about 3 different kinds of forums (EZBoard, Proboard, and now currently phpBB) and with every move, I've either lost members/posts/topics, etc. None of the "freebie" boards seem to have the functionality or stability I've been looking for, so hopefully my members and I will have found a home on vBulletin soon. I just want to make the transition to vBulletin as smooth as possible for them without having them to start all over again like we did with the current forum we have.

Comment

We cannot guarantee the import script will work with anything but the default and unaltered phpBB database.

By the way, I edited your sig. Please make sure you follow the forum rules posted here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=42918

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                We cannot guarantee the import script will work with anything but the default and unaltered phpBB database.

By the way, I edited your sig. Please make sure you follow the forum rules posted here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=42918
                Sorry.

Comment

UPDATE:

I have recently purchased vBulletin and installed ver. 2.3.4, and have successfully imported all necessary files from a PNphpBB2 board for those who are interested.

The means to do this is very easy using the phpBB2 import script provided by vBulletin. However, it is important to alter your table names and delete the "nuke_phpbb_" prefix in front of all mySQL table names. I tried it once without doing this and got an error on the first step. I deleted all the prefixes and got zero errors after that. My tables for my PNphpBB2 forums were even altered to include information that wasn't originally intended for phpBB2, but it was irrelevant.

My forums have been successfully moved, and my worries for importing are gone. PNphpBB2 users looking into vB, I highly suggest switching!

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdwolf
                    My forums have been successfully moved, and my worries for importing are gone. PNphpBB2 users looking into vB, I highly suggest switching!
                    we would follow you .... only if vbulletin were a bit cheaper...

Comment

Originally posted by LEARNER29
                      we would follow you .... only if vbulletin were a bit cheaper...

PLUS ..... the complaint of PostNuke PNphpBB being too much demanding on your server resources is not solved here, as you did not compare how your forums (and whole site) would run on VB.

Now you must have had some experience with both PNphpBB and vb..... please tell us how you found vb .....

especially, tell us about server demand .....

(I was on VB and had to move to pnphpbb because of vb (OK, vb 2.x) being too demanding on server resources. )

AND..... please tell me.... which portal did you replace your postnuke with ?

which portal are you using with your vb now... (if you are still on vb..... of course)

Comment

Anyone telling you a stock vBulletin was too taxing on your server doesnt know what they are taking about, unless you have a few really big hacks and or alot of users online is probaly wrong, by any chance were you on lunar pages?

Comment

Or using a pirated version...
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

what is "Lunar Pages" ?

and no Josh, I never used a pirated version.... I had two fully legal VB installations.... and I simply could not handle the hosts complaints about server resources being totally abused by vb script.

Comment

Who was your host? What hacks if any did you have installed?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X