Vb3 vs PhpBB 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sal Collaziano
    On the other hand, I've been running several VERY SMALL Invision Boards for a few months - and have had 4 corrupted database table issues. 4 in just a few months - on VERY small boards.. That isn't a good track record...

I think Invision Board is a GREAT free solution - IF you're willing to accept an occasional sacrifice...
    how can software corrupt a db table? MySQL, the popular free database software has been under huge speculation because their last version before the current one, has had a bug that corrupts db tables.

It was mySQL, not invision that was the problem in your case.

Comment

actually ive run IBP and vB on the same servers and ive seen Invision crash more often >.<

Comment

Never heard a script 'crash' before.

Must have been MySQL or the server. In any case, there's evidence that IPB is more effecient than vB, period. If your personal opinion says not, so be it.

Comment

how is it evident that IBP is more effeceient than vB?

lets see if you say this because IBP seems to have lower page generation times and also has LESS builtin features sure

but considering the mass ammount of features and everything vB does i would never say IBP is more effeicent

vb2 compared to IBP vb2 ~= IBP
          vB3 compared to IBP vB3 > IBP

Comment

Yes, since vB has more features, that is one of the reasons for it being less effecient than IPB. But stress tests by many unbiased sources have proved that IPB is more efficient for all it has. Don't compare vB3 to IPB 1.x; wait for IPB 1.2. Considering how painfully slow vB's development is, IPB 2 final might be out before vB3 final is out. Compare then. I am confident that vB will win, but who knows?

Comment

I think that VB is good, but it way too expensive!

Comment

its a commerical product and its cost is not that bad

Comment

Originally posted by Jamer
                  I think that VB is good, but it way too expensive!
                  I thought that it was "too expensive" also before I finally made the upgrade from PHPbb2, and I have to say that you get what you pay for. Support questions are answered quickly, the features are just leaps and bounds past ANY free forum software out there...

I've only had my license for a week or so, and I'm already planning my 2nd and 3rd purchases for VB licenses to use on other sites.

it is WELL worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by himerus
                    I thought that it was "too expensive" also before I finally made the upgrade from PHPbb2, and I have to say that you get what you pay for. Support questions are answered quickly, the features are just leaps and bounds past ANY free forum software out there...

I've only had my license for a week or so, and I'm already planning my 2nd and 3rd purchases for VB licenses to use on other sites.

it is WELL worth the money.
                    Yup, certainly worth the price.

$160 isn't that much either.

Comment

I already have a full VB licence, but I still think it is too expensive & restricted, dont get me wrong the product is fine, but so are a lot of other scripts which are a fraction of the cost of VB, if not free.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamer
                        I already have a full VB licence, but I still think it is too expensive & restricted, dont get me wrong the product is fine, but so are a lot of other scripts which are a fraction of the cost of VB, if not free.
                        Care to elaborate why you think vB is restrictive and expensive?

Comment

i highly doubt there is any free php based board that comes close to what vBulletin does

Comment

Christ, rent it for $80 a year. That's expensive? That's like $6.67 dollars a month?

Otherwise. Like I said - I've run every type of message board you can think of - and I've had more database troubles with Invision Power Board 1.2 than with any of them - IN LESS TIME...
                            My vBulletin Forums:
                            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

Originally posted by lange
                              I have two owned vB licenses but I want to know your opinion.

How do you compare the VB3 to PhpBB2.2 (release in february) ? Features: sub-forums, etc.

The phpBB 2.2 test board is here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/

The features: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=88651

Thx
                              Why do you compare phpBB and vB on a vB forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeboy
                                Why do you compare phpBB and vB on a vB forum?
                                Why not?

As long as it doesn't turn into a software bashing thread.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X