Vb3 vs PhpBB 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixx

If you have a vB license, you can download the gamma.

The Admin CP is pretty similiar to the 2.x one, but is still considerably nicer.

I used to use phpBB, and I never really saw a reason to upgrade to vB, but when I finally did, it was definitely worth the money.

If you buy it, I guarentee you, you will not be upset!

Comment

What was your reason? I've started a poll on my site about it to see what my community wants to do, but why did you?

Oh, and also. Is 3 GAMMA stable enough? I absolutely hate 2x, but would only buy 3.

-Mark
      Last edited by mixx941; Wed 10 Dec '03, 4:39pm.
      Party107 Forums (powered by vBulletin): http://www.party107.com/forum/

MIXXnet IRC Network: http://www.mixxnet.net
      irc.mixxnet.net

Comment

IMO beta 4-5 were good enuf to run over vb2 ;D ive been running my site on beta 4 since it came out and weve never had a "major" problem

Comment

I fully agree to one of the first posters that you can't really compare bulletin board systems. Ok, you can count the features and measure the server load but thats not the point I think.

The question behind all this is for what do you need the board!

phpbb2 is cool and phpbb2.2 will be a killer app for all guys that do not have the money for a forum or don't want to spend it for one. If I have a small side I can use phpbb but if I have a page where I need to be sure that I get support if I have a problem that you need something where you can blame a company :-)

On smaller sites I use phpbb but on my biggest one I switch over to vb3 cause it seems to have all I need and then its the right software. If my needs change I will take a look over the market again and switch again if needed. Thats the way it goes.

Most of all for me I think that it has nothing to do with features or who has the bigger hacking community for what forum software I decide myself. I think for me its not important to see what a software can (cause others can also), its important what for support I get if it does not what it should cause then I am in real trouble and need professionell help. Not everyone is using a vB on a private page

Documentation and Support, thats most important to me and shows how professionell a company is, nothing else.

Comment

How does vB compare to phpBB in server load? For example, I have a 459 page thread, will that choke on vBulletin more than phpBB?

-Mark

irc.mixxnet.net

Comment

Originally posted by mixx941
              How does vB compare to phpBB in server load? For example, I have a 459 page thread, will that choke on vBulletin more than phpBB?

-Mark
              it shouldn't choke either forum.... but that depends

1. on the hardware that is powering the forum software regardless of vB or phpBB..
              2. how many concurrent users are accessing/reading and posting to that particular 459 page thread at the same moment in time
              3. what settings on forum you set to posts per page for that thread... i.e. 10 posts per page is alot different to 400 posts per page

to put this into perspective, on this very vBulletin.com support forum running vB 3 earlier beta, there was a rubik cube thread with ALOT of posts being simultaneously accessed by 1,500+ guests! something that vB 2.3.x could barely do is handled easily by vB 3 beta... not sure if phpBB could do that (1,500 people viewing a thread simultaneously)
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Okay, but if my server is handling it now, should vBulletin be able to handle it equally as good?

I guess I'll rephrase the question, which causes more load on the server? vBulletin or phpBB 2.0.6. (I am strongly considering making the move).

Right now, my forum doesnt even have that many members, and only maybe 5-10 will be reading that thread at once. I would only use vB 3 anyway.

-Mark

irc.mixxnet.net

Comment

Originally posted by mixx941
                  Okay, but if my server is handling it now, should vBulletin be able to handle it equally as good?

I guess I'll rephrase the question, which causes more load on the server? vBulletin or phpBB 2.0.6. (I am strongly considering making the move).

Right now, my forum doesnt even have that many members, and only maybe 5-10 will be reading that thread at once. I would only use vB 3 anyway.

-Mark
                  I don't know much about vB3, but vB2 is probably more efficient than phpBB 2. I have seen a phpBB handle 4000 users at the same time, anyway, so it shouldn't be a great problem.

Nothing beats IPB in this area, though.

Comment

IPB, dont really like that system much anymore.

-Mark

irc.mixxnet.net

Comment

vBulletin is the most powerful and advanced non-bespoke forum spoftware out there, IMO. You are getting what you pay for.

However, there's nothing wrong with free forums. phpbb is good, and is worth running for smaller communities. Got some, but less important than my vbulletins, in my estimation.

Personally grew up on YaBB SE (now Simple Machines) and rate that very highly - excellent support and very friendly user community).

At the end of the day, free forums are down to personal preference (I really cannot stand IPB - just my personal taste) - - - but a paid forum such as vBulletin is a very good idea for professional ventures.

Comment

I did not read the entire thread, but I will post my opinion.. Even if what I'm about to say has already been said

I'm a happy admin of both vbulletin (3 gamma) and phpBB (2.0.3).

Let's begin with phpBB. Well, it's free, it's a fully fonctionnal forum, its look is nice by default.
                        If you add the fact that it is free, well, I must say I'm really impressed by phpBB.

Now with vBulletin.
                        I must say I don't know why I bought a license, I was on phpBB, it was the best board for me.
                        I just understood the meaning of OMG The first look at the admin control panel was really incredible.
                        For the user-side, I thought it was just the same.

Yes... "thought"
                        Vbulletin is by far more powerful, admin or user wise..
                        I now have about 300 users and 60'000 posts on my vb install, and I can't think how I could manage all this people/posts with phpBB.. (And it's a really small vb board !).
                        Syntax errors in my post ? Well, I'm a french-speaking Swiss user..

Comment

This is probably the best place to ask this:

I am looking at getting BB software for a NFP-organisation that I am involved in. Whilst vB looks the best software, I don't want to buy a product that I cannot use (I can't currently afford a server, or a dedicated server connection, unless I could run with my home computer on ADSL, but then I guess that wouldn't be the best option because of crashes...).

So, for a complete newb. what would be the best software, considering that I would require hosting as well?

I've looked at some of the other options, and Invision seems to be economical enough, but would the basic hosting option be useful enough to test? (I'm not completely sure what is covered by the 50MB file limit)

Comment

well i know that if you buy vBulletin the size of vb3 is only a few megs, so your 50mb file limit would be ok, but usualy a bulletin board doesnt worry about file size limits so much as bw. (you dont need a dedicated server just shared hosting which is about 5-20 usd a month)

to be honest? for a total new person id suggest vB its very ez to navigate and very ez to install. upload edit one file and click .

you would require hosting to make sure you have a high uptime.

Comment

Originally posted by roo123
                              This is probably the best place to ask this:

I am looking at getting BB software for a NFP-organisation that I am involved in. Whilst vB looks the best software, I don't want to buy a product that I cannot use (I can't currently afford a server, or a dedicated server connection, unless I could run with my home computer on ADSL, but then I guess that wouldn't be the best option because of crashes...).

So, for a complete newb. what would be the best software, considering that I would require hosting as well?

I've looked at some of the other options, and Invision seems to be economical enough, but would the basic hosting option be useful enough to test? (I'm not completely sure what is covered by the 50MB file limit)
                              I would say, since I just upgraded from another free BB software that I wish I had been using VB all along, because there are so many more features that I can incorporate to offer my users now, and I'm already getting great feedback from the users & mods @ my ISP forum saying that they like it, and it's much easier to use for them.

Hosting can definitely be cheap like Faranth said, and VB is so much easier to use, and the support here is great, which you won't get with the free softwares in as timely a manner.

Comment

I think it's very important for this to be known...

I've been running three vBulletins for about 2 years now. During that time, I've had no database error issues (except being on a slow server). vB itself hasn't messed up once..

On the other hand, I've been running several VERY SMALL Invision Boards for a few months - and have had 4 corrupted database table issues. 4 in just a few months - on VERY small boards.. That isn't a good track record...

I think Invision Board is a GREAT free solution - IF you're willing to accept an occasional sacrifice...
                                My vBulletin Forums:
                                cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X