No announcement yet.

Vb3 vs PhpBB 2.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand why people are comparing these two forum softwares!!!
    Really!

I mean, in each PHPBB release, they announce features that VB has had from the early stages of version 2

Anyway... As far as VB3 is concerned, just check the the list of the features and you will see that there is no comparison.

stark

Comment

Originally posted by lange
      I have two owned Vbb licenses but I want to know your opinion.

How do you compare the VB3 to PhpBB2.2 (release in february) ? Features: sub-forums, etc.

The phpBB 2.2 test board is here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/

The features: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=88651

Thx
      Sub forums?
      vBulletin supports unlimited sub forums

Comment

Actually, I just read through that list, and did not find anything that is already in vb2 or by default in vb3 since alpha 1.

I don't think phpbb has a chance in the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by floris
          Actually, I just read through that list, and did not find anything that is already in vb2 or by default in vb3 since alpha 1.

I don't think phpbb has a chance in the competition.
          I guess you mean :

and did not find anything that is NOT already in vb2 or by default in vb3 since alpha 1.

And this is exactly what I mean. I actually find it quite embarassing for the PHPBB devs to announce such features - when other boards softwares have had them for years now!

Comment

phpbb is a free software

Comment

Originally posted by paolorulez
              phpbb is a free software
              So is invisionboard, and that's alot better than phpBB.
              I think IB is vbulletin's main competitor, but VB3 is better than IB.

Comment

my opinion forum best software

2000 ezboards
                2001 vbullettin
                2002 1vbullettin 2phpbb 3invision
                2003 1invision 2vbullettin2.3 3phpbb
                2004 1vbullettin3.0 2invision

regards
                Hullo! Are you one year ahead? 2004 is not even here yet!

If vB went past Ezboard in 2001, something definately awaits in 2004.

Comment

I must be frank. phpBB a few nicer moderation features than vBulletin. Two of which stand out in my mind.

They have a "You can moderate this forum" link that if you click, you will go into a powerful moderation panel where you select threads and can delete, lock, move, etc them all. vB's equivelent requires you to go into the moderator control panel, go to thread move/prune, select the forum, etc. Something that takes up a considerable amount of time and is not as thread specific as phpBB's feature.

Another one is the IP lookup where you click on an image labeled "ip" and it comes up with a page showing the ips this user has used, other users who have used that ip (really nice for identifying mutiple accounts), the reverse dns lookups of all of the ips, the ability to do a whois on any of them, etc. It is very easy to figure out exactly what is going on with that feature. vB's equivelent simply displays the user's IP and the reverse DNS lookup of it. To get the information that phpBB would show, you have to go to the admin control panel>users>Search IP Addresses and type in the ip, set depth 2, and then search. It is much more time consuming to get information then with phpBB's ip lookup.

Anyway, those two things are the only things phpBB 2.06 has over vBulletin 3.0.0 Gama. vBulletin 3.0.0 Gama blows phpBB 2.06 out of the water in everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty Bwoy
                    So is invisionboard, and that's alot better than phpBB.
                    I think IB is vbulletin's main competitor, but VB3 is better than IB.
                    I could not agree more.

Murf

Comment

my opinion forum best software

2000 ezboards
                      2001 vbullettin
                      2002 1vbullettin 2phpbb 3invision
                      2003 1invision 2vbullettin2.3 3phpbb
                      2004 1vbullettin3.0 2invision

regards
                      You're kidding me right? IPB is catching up, but it is not better than vB. Not even vB2 yet, especially since IPB 2.0 is not publically released yet.

Comment

Nah, I would say IPB 1.3 is much better than vB2.

It has its own uniques too, and since IPB traditionally is 3 times faster (literally, no hyperbole) than vB in development, they are bound to catch up, and eventually overtake.

At this moment, even IPB 2.0 is lesser than vB 3; if you see the plain number of features.

Comment

all their templates are file pulls which isnt the greatest things. they also do much less than vb does remember.

Comment

1. vBulletin
                            2. UBB (you guys forgot about Infopop?)
                            3. Invision Power Board
                            4. phpBB
                            5. ezBoard

...nothing else counts...
                            My vBulletin Forums:
                            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

i dont think eZboard counts as you have little control over it

Comment

Here are my opinions....

I have used phpBB for years, and absolutely love it.

I think that the new vBulletin 3.0.0 Gamma looks kinda cool, and much better than previous versions of vBulletin.

My thoughts have always been that too many websites use vBulletin. It seems like every computer forum or web host's forum uses vBulletin, and in my opinion it's way over-used.

Since this new version 3.0.0 Gamma though, I really like it. I cannot afford it at this time, and I think a better tactic would be to not charge so much for forum software, and Jelsoft would have even more customers.

As far as features go.....I havent used vB extensively because I understand there is no longer a free trial we can download and actually use (besides the admin demo)....BUT what EXACTLY can vBulletin do that phpBB cannot other than subcategories (before 2.2)?

I've used Invision before, and it's okay. I'd rather use vBulletin than Invision but again the money factor, and $160 is way too much for forum software especially when there are free, and might I add very well supported alternatives.

UBB.threads I am not interested in, I've seen the admin panel and in my opinion it's a joke compared to vBulletin or phpBB.

So in other words, if vB was free, or consideribally less money, I would probably use it.
                                Party107 Forums (powered by vBulletin): http://www.party107.com/forum/

MIXXnet IRC Network: http://www.mixxnet.net
                                irc.mixxnet.net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X