Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vB 2 to vB 3 conversion & How long till vB 3 final?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by lirux
    Hello.

I'm verly likely to upgrade a forum from ubb.x to vB 3. To make it easier for the users, I want to make it as similar to ubb.x at first, and then slowly start using the advantages of vB.

To make it look as similar as possible, will obviously require some work from me. Now my question is: if i buy it now, and get vB 2 100% working the way i want it, and then upgrade to vB 3, will it be easy to get everything as I had it in vB 2 (possibly including some hacks i need to get vB 2 looking similar to ubb.x?).

My other option would be to wait for the vB 3 final till I buy it and customize it. How long (apporx, not looking for a release date) till vB 3 final?
    I'm hoping to get vB running in about 2 months, allowing 3 or 4 weeks for customization..?
    You can purchase vBulletin 2.32 now and make your modifications for your live site. You can also install vBulletin 3.0 beta 7 on your development server and make the modifications on it simultaneously.

Import your ubb.x backup into vBulletin 2.3.2 and go live with that. Then when vBulletin 3.0 final is released, you can simply upgrade your live forums and import the modifications you made in the development site through styles.

The beauty of vBulletin is that you probably don't have to hack any of the code to make it look like UBB.x just template changes for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    considering hes on UBB.x

if you upgrade to vb2 youd learn it and then lose it when going to 3

my best suggestion would be to buy and pratice with vb3 while in converting it

vb3 beta currently is very stable, im running it in production and i know this site and other vb sites are also running beta 6/7 and there running fine with out errors

Leave a comment:

• Matty Bwoy
    replied
    If you upgrade to vb3, you will lose most of your hacks, and will have to do them again.

Leave a comment:

• lirux
    started a topic vB 2 to vB 3 conversion & How long till vB 3 final?

vB 2 to vB 3 conversion & How long till vB 3 final?

Hello.

I'm verly likely to upgrade a forum from ubb.x to vB 3. To make it easier for the users, I want to make it as similar to ubb.x at first, and then slowly start using the advantages of vB.

To make it look as similar as possible, will obviously require some work from me. Now my question is: if i buy it now, and get vB 2 100% working the way i want it, and then upgrade to vB 3, will it be easy to get everything as I had it in vB 2 (possibly including some hacks i need to get vB 2 looking similar to ubb.x?).

My other option would be to wait for the vB 3 final till I buy it and customize it. How long (apporx, not looking for a release date) till vB 3 final?
    I'm hoping to get vB running in about 2 months, allowing 3 or 4 weeks for customization..?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X