X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poolking
    replied
    Originally posted by daemon
    Yes, e-mail confirmation can be shut off easily.
    You would bypass the e-mail confirmation anyway as you would create the accounts straight into the registered usergroup.

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    Yes, e-mail confirmation can be shut off easily.

Leave a comment:

• ahroc
    replied
    Many family members do not have e-mail can the e-mail confirmation thing be shut off?

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Regarding step 1 i suggest adding a http authentication check with apache.

Say the family name forward and the family name backwards for access or something that everyone will know

Also i'd turn off registration and let you add the accounts via the admin panel and set viewing for guests to Off.

This would stop people registering on the board and viewing anything unless you issued them an account.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Z
    replied
    Hello ahroc,

#1: vBulletin has been designed with security in mind as well as performance and stability. Any security vulnerabilities that are discovered are usually fixed within a few hours after they have been discovered. vBulletin cannot protect your information from being stolen if you have an easy to guess password, or if your webserver is improperly configured.

#2: You would need an external program or hack to do this, but it is easy to interface with the vBulletin database, and to extract the information you need.

#3: MySQL can create dumps of structure and/or data with built-in tools. This can be done through vB, but it is recommended that you use the shell (SSH/Telnet), as PHP may time out, resulting in an incomplete dump. You would then need a program that can read SQL dump files. If I recall, MS Access has an SQL view, where you can execute SQL statements. You could copy and paste into that, possible, though some adjustments may need to be made.

I hope I have helped.
    Thank you and I hope you find vBulletin suitable for your needs!

Good day,
    Andy.
    I do not work here. To the best of my knowledge the above answers are correct.

Leave a comment:

• ahroc
    started a topic Secure Database for a family members

Secure Database for a family members

Hello

I intend to set up a family - extended family website / forum.

I want to create a database of personal information that members of the family could access, names, addresses, e-mails, birthdates, parents, kids, spouse, kind of a family tree thing.

I played around in the Admin Demo and realized I could create user fields that might possibly work for this purpose.

Questions

1. I need to be assurance that the forum would be SECURE from hackers? This is VERY important to me.

2. Could the database create mailing lables?

3. Could the database be exported into some other database where I would have flexible manipulation?

Thanks