Couple Pre-sales questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Pre-sales questions

I am currently a phpBB2 users but looking seriously at purchasing a VB license. While I have been reading and reading many of the questions and comments here on the forums I thought I would ask a couple of questions on my own.

As stated our current forums use phpBB2 which in the most part I have been very happy with except session errors that effect AOL users the most. Has this been a problem here?

I guess the reason I am looking at a change is I am not sure I like the direction (or lack of ) they are going. Our current boards have just a little over 600 active members and are hosted on a shared server (Ventures online I might add) and we have had no problems. Many of the forums are set for auto prune and database size is just over 8 meg with GZIP running. I currently use around 5 gig of data transfer per month. So one question would be
    • Can I expect the same from VB?

I see that the current version of VB uses a little different database structure and that it will be changed in version 3.0 and If I have read correctly it is the same as what phpBB2 uses. So my second question would be.
    • Should I wait for version 3.0 to be released? - This is not something I have to change right now!

After looking at many sites and some of the features on them I came across one site that uses a little different index page than most and I was wondering if this is a hack or is this something that can be setup in the board configuration? I see it uses something like forumdisplay which makes me think it's a hack. - The site address is below.

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/index.php?

My last question would concern archives. I have seen many sites that link to a archive section. Is this a board addon or is this standard? I didn't see this option in the admin panel.

Thank you in advance for any replies and sharing your opinions

The Ginslinger

1. Not sure about database size, but you really have nothing to worry about. With the lowest 5GB from VO you get 50 MBs of space... plenty. Bandwidth usage is likely to increase... but only beacuse you'll get more members with VB, not because it's more consumptive per user (depends on your skin).

2. If you purchase now, VB 3.0 will be a free upgrade.

3. VB 3 has an archive a standard feature. Version 2 has modifications that allow it.

Comment

The forums at www.hobbytalk.com are not hacked in anyway. The only changes you will see there are template edits which require no changing of any vBulletin files.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I believe there are some mentions of AOL cookie issues in the vBulletin 2 How Do I Forums...however a simple solution is to encourage your members to use the Internet Explorer Web Browser rather than the AOL Browser.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X