No announcement yet.

Where to start for vBulletin scripting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start for vBulletin scripting?

I've been thinking about purchasing a vBulletin license, but I don't think I would get much traffic. Maybe that can be good as for prices, but a community is good. Can someone tell me about how vB started and such, I'm really interested. Any information on my main questions would be very usefull.

**bump**

Comment

It started as a proprietary forum for a site the developer ran a few years ago because he wasn't satisfied with the existing forum (IIRC it was UBB). Then he started selling it, and the rest is history.

And they haven't officially said what the "v" means although there are a couple of theories.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
        It started as a proprietary forum for a site the developer ran a few years ago because he wasn't satisfied with the existing forum (IIRC it was UBB). Then he started selling it, and the rest is history.

And they haven't officially said what the "v" means although there are a couple of theories.
        Well where can I learn how to script forum stuff?

And the "v" doesn't mean virtual? (Virtual Bulletin)

Comment

Originally posted by FKD
          Well where can I learn how to script forum stuff?

And the "v" doesn't mean virtual? (Virtual Bulletin)
          The 'v' means nothing according to John.

To learn how to develop a forum like this you will need to master PHP an RDBMS (like MySQL). This is an advanced forum package and has been in production for around 3-4 years and has highly optimized DB queries and such.

There are books on PHP and MySQL, and online tutorials. YOu can also learn by going thorugh the many open source PHP scripts out there (like at hotscripts.com).
          - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

I am unsure what you mean by scripting forum stuff. vBulletin is a complete engine which doesn't require any scripting to setup or administer.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

As far as I'm concern, the name could be John's Bulletin Board System but as long as it had the same quality scripting, and technical support, I'd still buy it.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X