SLASH vs SnipSnap vs vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLASH vs SnipSnap vs vBulletin

I am looking to add "Community" features to my site and I am comparing vBuilletin, SlashCode and SnipSnap. I read Waynes response and found it informative but I am looking for more of a Feature Comparison to other similar systems. I would really like to hear your thoughts - especially on your comparison to SlashCode. It would be helpful if you had a Product Comparison Table on the site. (BTW, I really appreciate your support for Children's Privacy / COPA)

I've never heard of either SlashCode or SnipSnap so I can't really comment on those apps. Perhaps someone else has experience with these.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Comparison Tables can be biased just about any way you want and can also be misleading. They're a great idea, but the items listed are chosen for maximum impact, not which items you will actually use/need on a daily basis.

"vBulletin templates are a breeze to change" vs "phpBB templates are so hard to change that 98% of phpBB boards are still running the default templates" doesn't look very exciting on a comparison table but it's something you'll use frequently enough to matter!
      Last edited by feldon23; Sun 20 Apr '03, 12:00pm.

Comment

Snipsnap (http://snipsnap.org/space/start) is a community driven documentation project.

Slashcode (http://slashcode.com/) is for community driven content.

Both have their purposes but isn't exacly what our product is about. vBulletin is to allow you to build discussion based forums and provide sticky content for your website. While, both of the above do provide sticky content, they are not discussion boards. The inherent application of all three programs is different as is their targetted demographics.

However, while vBulletin is originally designed for Discussion Boards, you can through creative use of its templates and comprehensive engine, create sites that duplicate the features of both of the above named applications.

In the past, our customers have used vBulletin for helpdesk based support, file sharing services, project management and other applications as well as discussion based forums.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
        Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBiker View Post
          I am looking to add "Community" features to my site and I am comparing vBuilletin, SlashCode and SnipSnap. I read Waynes response and found it informative but I am looking for more of a Feature Comparison to other similar systems. I would really like to hear your thoughts - especially on your comparison to SlashCode. It would be helpful if you had a Product Comparison Table on the site. (BTW, I really appreciate your support for Children's Privacy / COPA)
          All three of them : vBulletin, SlashCode and SnipSnap are listed on ITerating (wiki-based user guide for all software-both commercial and open source) . Soon you'll have a tool -called wiki matrix -and you'llbe able to compare any software you'll like. Since then , what you can do is post some reviews on the products you have experience with.

Comment

Way to dig up a 3 1/2 year old topic.

As Wayne pointed out, each product is in a different category. It's like comparing a word processor to a spreadsheet program.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X