Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overlapping Member Groups-Does vB have them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overlapping Member Groups-Does vB have them?

Does vBulletin have overlapping member groups? An example of this would be two member groups, one called mg1 and one called mg2. Mg1 can access forum1 but cannot access forum2, while mg2 can access forum2 but not forum1. Overlapping membergroups would be where someone can be part of mg1 and mg2, and have access to both forum1 and forum2. This is a vital feature for sites that have people as members of multiple clans, etc, and comes with the php myikonboard. Anyways, lemme know if it does, or if it's a new feature in vB3 or something.

This is not a feature of vB2.x but is in vB3.

Comment

Awesome!!

Comment

I would think if you would customize the usergroups, it might work...
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

in *MOST* cases you would be correct...

Let me explain. At my forum (currently InvB) we have what we call "groups." I will not explain this because it would take a while. Each group has its own private forum where it's members can go. Now, it would be very time consuming and messy to make a member group for every combination of groups (i.e. a member group for members of both group1 and group2, or members of group4 and group5). I hope you can now see how it really helps to have overlapping member groups . So for right now I protect each groups forum with a password. THis, though, is messy and insecure. That is why I am glad to hear that vB3 has overlapping member groups .

Comment

You might try asking at http://www.vbulletin.org to see someone could develop one for vBulletin 2.x

You might get some success. There may be even a chance someone might have created one already.
            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

vB3 provides the ability for users to belong to more than one group.
              They may also "apply" for membership of groups.

As ManagerJosh said, the only way you will achieve this functionality under vB2.x is with hacks and there is no place better than www.vbulletin.org to look for vB hacks.
              Even if one does not exist, just ask and I'm sure someone will have a go at writing one.

Comment

thanks for your help guys . Sounds like vB3 is what I'm looking for hehe. Don't have the money yet, but hope to get one in the next 1-2 months :-/.

Comment

Originally posted by mafo0
                  thanks for your help guys . Sounds like vB3 is what I'm looking for hehe. Don't have the money yet, but hope to get one in the next 1-2 months :-/.
                  Well, hopefully vB 3 will enter Public Beta Stages by then.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X