One year license versus Purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One year license versus Purchase?

Well, I have been doing some research and it appears VBulletin is the board to go with. Now, the only problem I have is deciding whether to purchase or lease? So, I have one question. If I were to purchase a one year license would it commence from the day I purchased the license or installed the board? Right now, I am looking to install the board within the next month but it would not go "live" for about another month.
    And is the software in any manner hard coded as to expire in one year or, is it up to the user to renew the license or, remove the software?
    I do not want to find out that in one year and one day my software is expired if I forget to renew the license by a day or two.
    And finally...(sorry) would buying a one year license allow me access to VBulletin.org?
    Thanks in advance.....

The one-year lease begins the date that you purchase the software. The renewal of the software is up to you, there is no automatic cut-off. We do remind you that your license is set to expire 30 days before it actually runs out. If you do let your license expire for an extended period of time and the software continues to run, we can turn you over to our anti-piracy and legal team for action. If it is a day or two, we will work with you to renew the license.

If you purchase the lease, you will be able to get full access to both vBulletin.org and vbulletintemplates.com through it without any additional cost. You also have full access to all support resources that we provide.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      The one-year lease begins the date that you purchase the software. The renewal of the software is up to you, there is no automatic cut-off. We do remind you that your license is set to expire 30 days before it actually runs out. If you do let your license expire for an extended period of time and the software continues to run, we can turn you over to our anti-piracy and legal team for action. If it is a day or two, we will work with you to renew the license.

If you purchase the lease, you will be able to get full access to both vBulletin.org and vbulletintemplates.com through it without any additional cost. You also have full access to all support resources that we provide.
      Do you know what the meaning of "customer service" is?
      I have never been on a site or have dealt with a software company that is so unfriendly as you guys are!
      You are the most aragant bunch of people I have ever seen!
      All I did was ask a simple question and in return I received a reply that consisted of "you better do this and you better do that" or, "we will do this and we will do that". Keep this in mind. You are nothing without the customer! And I think you better get that through your head as you just lost a customer with me.
      I asked a simple question so that I would not violate any license agreement as I have better things to do than keep track of a license expiration date. God forbide if I renewed a day or two after the expiration!

Comment

Originally posted by VBtester
        I have never been on a site or have dealt with a software company that is so unfriendly as you guys are!
        All I did was ask a simple question and in return I received a reply that consisted of "you better do this and you better do that" or, "we will do this and we will do that". Keep this in mind. You are nothing without the customer! And I think you better get that through your head as you just lost a customer with me.
        I asked a simple question so that I would not violate any license agreement as I have better things to do than keep track of a license expiration date. God forbide if I renewed a day or two after the expiration!
        I'm sorry you feel that way.
        Wayne's answer was IMHO clear concise and to the point.
        I couldn't disagree more about Jelsoft's customer service employees being "unfriendly" and "arrogant".
        My personal experience dealing with vB support is that they are all very friendly and efficient.

Comment

thats a bit harsh.

All wayne was saying is that , the one year license allows you only to use the software for a year, 365 days. If you buy the site license , then you can use it forever, you can even sell it as far as I am aware. They are the terms of the contract, its all there if you care to read it.
          I always found the guys at vb really nice to work with.
          My Sites :

Comment

Originally posted by VBtester
            I am sorry you took it this way. It wasn't meant to be rude or arrogant just factful answering of your questions. I even stated that if you let it slip by a few days it wouldn't be a problem and we would work with you to get it renewed. Heck, if you contacted me before it was due for renewal and said you had to wait until a week after the renewal was due, I would flag your account as such.

However if you let your lease run out for an extended period of time, probably more than a month, we would contact you and ask you to renew the license before doing anything else. Only if you refused to renew at that time would it become a problem.

Not sure how, I could have answered your questions more to your satisfaction and give the facts as well. Again I am sorry if you read something into it that I didn't intend.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I am sorry you took it this way. It wasn't meant to be rude or arrogant just factful answering of your questions. I even stated that if you let it slip by a few days it wouldn't be a problem and we would work with you to get it renewed. Heck, if you contacted me before it was due for renewal and said you had to wait until a week after the renewal was due, I would flag your account as such.

However if you let your lease run out for an extended period of time, probably more than a month, we would contact you and ask you to renew the license before doing anything else. Only if you refused to renew at that time would it become a problem.

Not sure how, I could have answered your questions more to your satisfaction and give the facts as well. Again I am sorry if you read something into it that I didn't intend.
              I apologize if I took your reply in a manner other than it was intended.
              I am only trying to weigh my options as I will more than likely NOT be running this board beyond a year. Financially, it only makes sense to purchase a license for $160 but, again if you are going to be using it for less than a year then it makes sense to lease it. The old "what if's and but's". By the way, which payment method is the quickest?
              From what I have read here, WorldPay seems to take there time and I see were some people are a little more than upset with the processing time involved.

Comment

Most Worldpay transactions take less than an hour to process. However due to past fraudulent purchase, we have had to doublecheck and cross check all worldpay transactions. At this time, direct payment from a paypal account would probably be the fastest but almost all Worldpay transactions are completed within 24 hours. Only those with issues in verifying the authenticity of the purchase would require more time.

Wayne Luke

Comment

thanks for answering my question

That tells me what I want to know. Some people who license mean you get a year of support, need to renew to keep getting support, others actually mean a year's license is a year's license and they will pull the plug on you when it runs out. I've got about nine months (since I paid for it last week, won't get it installed for a couple and always do things early) to decide if I want to kill the board or buy a permanent license.

BTW, is there any place where people who bought permanent licenses advertise them for sale? I know, always looking for a deal <g>

Comment

Originally posted by SRMarsh
                    BTW, is there any place where people who bought permanent licenses advertise them for sale? I know, always looking for a deal <g>
                    Occasionally, you can find licenses for sale on various Webmaster related forums.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Hiya vbTester!

From my experience, let me try to help clear things up. Financially it is more worth it to go for the full license at $160.00 since it is worth it in the long run. This allows you to run a copy of vBulletin.

Suppose you decide to change your forums address and move somewhere else or change the topic of your forums after a year has pass, you still have access to the members area to change your address. Only thing you can't do is download.

If you want, it will cost you $30.00 to access the downloads portion of the members area.

Hope this helps!
                      Good luck with your purchase!!!
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I thought I remembered someone saying that it was against the license agreement to transfer/sell licenses. I posted about a week ago asking about license for sale, and all these members were like "that's illegal" and stuff and "that's against the contract" and now you're saying ppls can sell the license :-/

Comment

There's no prohibition against selling licenses and no one from Jelsoft has ever said there was. We transfer sold licenses every day. You just can't request licenses or offer them for sale on the forums.
                          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by mafo0
                            I thought I remembered someone saying that it was against the license agreement to transfer/sell licenses. I posted about a week ago asking about license for sale, and all these members were like "that's illegal" and stuff and "that's against the contract" and now you're saying ppls can sell the license :-/
                            I'm sorry. I was probably one of the ones quoting the license agreement at you.
                            The bit about requiring Jelsofts "prior written consent"

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
                            Do all licensees obtain this written permission before reselling their licenses?

Comment

You and that Brian Briscoe guy.... *rolls eyes*

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X