Please answer a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please answer a few questions

I am interested in the v bulletin forum. I have tried many different kinds.

My last forum is a phpBB forum http://charleston.wvbuzz.com

Here is my question:

I want to make a website that will host 8 forums. Does that mean I need to be pay a one time fee of 8X$180?

How come you don't show the number of queries each page uses?

Big forums on multiple dual servers where a server is assigned just the database, look fast and are fast but I am worried about performance under a load (500-700_ people online at the same time while on a dedicated server)

Please tell me why I should buy VB?

There are basically two types of SQL queries: 1. queries that work only on one table 2. queries that work on multiple tables (aka joins). As you might guess, joins can be many times slower than simple one-table queries. Is there some short of a smart cache that turns all joins to simple queries?

Thank you,

glock22

If the 8 forums are all powered by the same installation of vB on the same domain and database, then you only need one license. If all 8 are independently powered by separate domains or databases then you need a license for each.

($160, not $180, BTW).
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
      If the 8 forums are all powered by the same installation of vB on the same domain and database, then you only need one license. If all 8 are independently powered by separate domains or databases then you need a license for each.

($160, not $180, BTW).
      8 forums on 8 different databases on the same server, same IP and 8 subdomains. (doesn't have to be)

Basically, $1280.

Sorry but I think I will have to go with something else.

For that kind of money I could hire my own phph coder, seriously.....

I am not asking for special pricing here. Just making an observation between 8 free forums that look like

http://beckley.wvbuzz.com/phpBB3/

and http://charleston.wvbuzz.com

and $1300 of VB forums that look like anything else out there.

can you answer my question about queries?

Comment

Originally posted by glock22
        There are basically two types of SQL queries: 1. queries that work only on one table 2. queries that work on multiple tables (aka joins). As you might guess, joins can be many times slower than simple one-table queries. Is there some short of a smart cache that turns all joins to simple queries?
        Our queries are optimized as much as possible. A Joined query doesn't necessarily increase resource usage or processing time if properly written.

We do not employ any kind of query caching because that would defeat the purpose of a dynamic system. However, if you are using MySQL 4.0.12, it has a sophisticated caching system that is more robust than anything we could program and more intelligent. It is suggested that this be utilized if you are worried about resources. Our system has supported up to 1500 concurrent users without caching built-in though.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I forgot to say, you can also buy bulk licenses at a lower cost per license.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            I forgot to say, you can also buy bulk licenses at a lower cost per license.
            Or buy a leased license for 85.

8 Bulk Leased Licenses - $584.00
            8 Bulk Owned Licenses - $1088.00

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              Our queries are optimized as much as possible. A Joined query doesn't necessarily increase resource usage or processing time if properly written.

We do not employ any kind of query caching because that would defeat the purpose of a dynamic system. However, if you are using MySQL 4.0.12, it has a sophisticated caching system that is more robust than anything we could program and more intelligent. It is suggested that this be utilized if you are worried about resources. Our system has supported up to 1500 concurrent users without caching built-in though.
              I have had 1896 concurrent users as my max.

Once VB3 comes out, you can use prefixes for the tables, so you can power them all with one database. I do not know if this will still require 2 licenses. Would it if they were on the same domain?

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED
                I have had 1896 concurrent users as my max.

Once VB3 comes out, you can use prefixes for the tables, so you can power them all with one database. I do not know if this will still require 2 licenses. Would it if they were on the same domain?
                Please contact us at our [email protected] address for more specifics on this.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I really was just curious. Someone can just say: Pay me $15 and get a vbulletin hosted on my domain, thats why I wouldn't allow it if I was in control.
                  Last edited by UHN_ED; Thu 3 Apr '03, 5:21pm.

Comment

What matters as far as I believe is that there is only one set of files - not what domain.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but I'm under the impression you want to run 8 different subforums under one vBulletin license.

Or are you trying to run a forum for 8 different URLs? (basically 8 different websites each with its own license)
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

You can run a forum under 8 different URLs with just one license, as long as all of those URLs are pointing (aka aliases) to the same place on your server.

If the 8 different URLs point to different places you will need 8 seperate licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by okrogius
                          You can run a forum under 8 different URLs with just one license, as long as all of those URLs are pointing (aka aliases) to the same place on your server.

If the 8 different URLs point to different places you will need 8 seperate licenses.

Thanks for all the answers.

Here's my situation.

I am building a website that will be named for example www.xxx.com

That specific page will not have a forum but it will contain links to the 8 forums on that domain.

Because I am using Ensim and in order to use 8 different databases, I have to name them forum1.xxx.com, forum2.xxx.com etc.....

BUT I DO NOT NEED TO THAT. I am just using it fot structure purposes.

I could also name the 8 forums like this www.xxx.com/forum1/ and www.xxx.com/forum2/ and so on..

Basically I think under you rules, I need 8 liscenses. What do you think?

Someone might ask: Why don't you just fit everything in one really long forum?

Well the answer to that is advertizing. These are community forums and forum1 ads will not apply to forum2 and so on.

Thanks again for the well informed answers.

Comment

Unlike the free system you are using now, you can have multiple styles in vBulletin and there is a targetted ad system available at vBulletin.org. You can have different ads for forum1, forum2, etc... Heck you can even have different looks for them and still have them in the same directory and have a unified member database with a single login for all eight sections.

Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                              Unlike the free system you are using now, you can have multiple styles in vBulletin and there is a targetted ad system available at vBulletin.org. You can have different ads for forum1, forum2, etc... Heck you can even have different looks for them and still have them in the same directory and have a unified member database with a single login for all eight sections.
                              Thanks!!!!!

Now we're talking... I will check this out.

))))))))))))))))))

Comment

Working...
                              X