Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authenticate via cookie

Hi,

I am looking at vBulletin to integrate into and exsiting site that already has a login for users, and wonder if vBulletin can autheticate a user against a cookie that I could set when uses log into my site initially. This is so that visitors then do not have to log-in again to the vBulletin forum element.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark

vBulletin already uses these capabilities. However, you would have to either rewrite vBulletin's session handling or use our password scheme.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      vBulletin already uses these capabilities. However, you would have to either rewrite vBulletin's session handling or use our password scheme.
      Does that mean if I write a cookie according to your specification then VB will use it to autheticate. Is it that simple?

I have no desire to try and re-write any of your code if I can help it as I'm not very familiare with PHP - I use Lasso.

Comment

Yes, vBulletin already uses a cookie on the user's computer to authenticate that user's session. Basically, the easiest way to handle in in 2.3.0 is to include vBulletin's global.php in your own application. This gives you full access to vBulletin's engine and security system. In vBulletin 3.0, it will be just as simple.

I am not familiar with Lasso. Is this a programming language or an IDE?

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Yes, vBulletin already uses a cookie on the user's computer to authenticate that user's session. Basically, the easiest way to handle in in 2.3.0 is to include vBulletin's global.php in your own application. This gives you full access to vBulletin's engine and security system. In vBulletin 3.0, it will be just as simple.
          So grabbing http://some_URL/global.php and parsing what it return will give me access to all sorts of internal variables?

What would I need to write into the cookie and would I have to encrypt in any way, ie MD5, Blowfish etc.

I am not familiar with Lasso. Is this a programming language or an IDE?
          Lasso from www.blueworld.com is not dissimilar to PHP or ASP and can be used at a [tag] based syntax within the HTML of a web page, or script style like PHP.

Thx

Comment

Yeah, similar to that.

vBulletin 2.X uses MD5 to encrypt the password. In vBulletin 3.0, we use a random salt variable to make the encrypted password hash unique to each site even if the user has the same password on multiple vBulletin sites. The salt changes everytime the user's password changes. So it would be a little more difficult.

However, you can have your system utilize vBulletin's login system to write the proper cookies to the user's computer as well.

Wayne Luke
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X