Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying vbulletin?

I can tell you this.
    I first bought Vbulletin for 1 year, didnt use it much cause my time was limited. Couldnt get my website running as I planed.

After some time, I bought vbulletin.
    But, the fool as I was, I heard about other forums such as phpBB etc.

They where free, plenty of people used it. So I didnt want to keep my vbulletin forum.
    I emailed the billing info of vbulletin, asked I could get my money back.
    The person who answered me gave me my money back, fast too, very nice guy.

So there I was, a few bucks more in my pocket and a free forum.
    HOWEVER, this is the part where the nightmare began.

phpBB and other free forums ARE NOT, I REPEAT, ARE not, friendly customsize able. Sure you can change it, but you need to lay down more time on that, so much time, that it would be worth getting a job at mcdonalds and use that money to buy vbulletin insted.
    I mean, if you work at mcdonalds and earn 6 dollar a hour, you work 24 hours and buy vbulletin.

It takes a lot more to change thoose free forums out there.
    Also, its not just the look, for example, phpBB DOES really eat your memory and CPU.

So what happend to me? Here I am again, buying vbulletin for 160 dollar and will keep it for sure.
    No returning this time :-)

Sorry for my lack of english, but i do think you get my point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    vB comes with ease-of-use as standard and Jelsoft's customer support is second-to-none.

Welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
      vB comes with ease-of-use as standard and Jelsoft's customer support is second-to-none.

Welcome back! [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
      Today I agree, If it had been before I wouldnt have agreed.
      But, i should also say that im new to forums and all, so I had no clue until i tried the others.

Comment

Originally posted by vBR

Welcome back!
        I agree with you 110% VBR!

The prodigal son has returned!!
        *cheers loudly*
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

i Agree.

I've used a non-licened version in the past, but feeling guilty, and too skint to actually buy it, i switched to phpBB.

but today i'm buying vB

phpBB IS, in fact, a GREAT forum. the people there work really hard on it, but it's only their hobby.

thing which phpBB accell over vb with.[*]FREE[*]loads of mods seeing as it's GNU[*]good community[*]lots of feature, that excell over other free forums[*]easy to mod with descriptions in the coding.

Things which excell vb over phpBB[*]Not so many mods as phpBB, but the ones it does have are done my proffessionals.[*]brilliant community[*]LOADS of features. some say too many, but you can never have too many features[*]looks and acts more proffessional

that's all i can think of now, but there are many more reason for vBulletin!

Comment

You have seen the different mods available for vBulletin over at vBulletin.org. There were over 1000 last time I looked.

Not sure if that is considered a lot or not. Seems like a lot to me.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              You have seen the different mods available for vBulletin over at vBulletin.org. There were over 1000 last time I looked.

Not sure if that is considered a lot or not. Seems like a lot to me.
              phpBB probably has more than that, but the problem is

#1: they're done by kids, and not all of them work.
              #2: they're scattered around several sites, and can be a ball-ache trying to find one you want.

from what i can gather with vBulletin, the mods are done by people who know what they're doing, and they'rw all stored at vbulletin.org.

EDIT: also, i'll be buying vBulletin monday, not today. stupid lack of money >_<

Comment

Well anyone can write a hack if they know enough how the ins and outs of vBulletin and how it works.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

There is no rush on getting it
                  It will be here tomorrow, monday and next year

Good luck with your purchase and hopefully you enjoy it as much as we do.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                    There is no rush on getting it
                    It will be here tomorrow, monday and next year

Good luck with your purchase and hopefully you enjoy it as much as we do.

i'm sure i will.

just one question (should i make a new thread for this)

is vBulletin 3 available for download in the members area, i so is it fairly stable (as stable as a beta goes anyway) is there a proper install for it, and will current mods work with it?

Comment

vBulletin 3 is currently in a private beta session. It will be available for public beta in a little while (No set timeframe Mind you)

Part of the Private beta agreement is when running vBulletin 3 is you can not install any codehacks.

Comment

YAY, i've baught it, just waiting for a reply back now

Comment

Yeah vB really does beat all free boards. The only people that really wouldn’t notice a massive difference are the ones who just leave the forum just like it is out of the box, say done, and go make a sandwich. The only thing I wish vb would do is put their admin cp into a nicer package like invision board. Sure their template system in inferior but it looks nice...

Comment

Originally posted by savage dragon
                            Yeah vB really does beat all free boards. The only people that really wouldn’t notice a massive difference are the ones who just leave the forum just like it is out of the box, say done, and go make a sandwich. The only thing I wish vb would do is put their admin cp into a nicer package like invision board. Sure their template system in inferior but it looks nice...
                            I hear the vB3 ACP is much better than the one in vB2 (according to the private beta testers anyway) so it may in fact already be better than IBF's ones

Comment

your mcdonalds logic is superb, i must say.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X