Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will it last this time?

Hi

I'm webmaster on a Danish children site with 3000-4000 visitors a day. The last 2 boards we have had, has been cgi driven with MYsql database. The last one being Ikonboard.

Both times we have ended up having to close down our board because it made the webserver unstabil causing it to break down. As we are hosted, this has not been very popular ;o)

This time we had to say farewel to 30.000 posts and the kids are a bit upset over this.

We have now bought vBulletin 2.3.0 and are busy translating it into Danish and setting up the design, hopefully, ready for sunday (we wish).

What are the performance for this board. We usually have around 1000 members, who posts a lot of graphics.
    Can we trust this board to hold out and not end up having to tell the kids that all their work has gone, again....

Love from sunny Denmark
    -Marianne

Marianne,
    We cannot absolutely promise that you will have no problems with the board, but we tend to be less of a load on the server that Ikonboard.
    As for the work being lost, have you tried the Ikonboard Import Script we have available? I'm not sure what version you were running, so I don't know if there are compatibility issues or not. Be sure to back up your existing database before you try it, though. And best of luck to you!
    Webmaster:
    @forumz

Comment

I'm fairly sure vBulletin won't crash and burn like your previous forums. The combination PHP and MySQL typically generates less server load than Perl and MySQL. Especially with the number of users you describe, it really should all work okay.

Comment

Thanks!

Nice to know, I'll keep my hopes up and fingers crossed.

I do know that I might be able to import all posts, but now that we had to get a new board, It's nice to have a complete clean out and try to keep on top of it this time ;o)

-Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by mariannet
          Thanks!

Nice to know, I'll keep my hopes up and fingers crossed.

I do know that I might be able to import all posts, but now that we had to get a new board, It's nice to have a complete clean out and try to keep on top of it this time ;o)

-Marianne

I'm sure you will be interested in this Marianne. It is a list of sites powered by vBulletin with a million or more posts and some on the list have 1,000 users online at the same time!

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Hi

I'm webmaster on a Danish children site with 3000-4000 visitors a day. The last 2 boards we have had, has been cgi driven with MYsql database. The last one being Ikonboard.

Both times we have ended up having to close down our board because it made the webserver unstabil causing it to break down. As we are hosted, this has not been very popular ;o)

This time we had to say farewel to 30.000 posts and the kids are a bit upset over this.
            There's no reason to scrap posts. Realize that tools exist or tools can be found to convert from just about anything to anything else. PHP... it's a beautiful thing.

We have now bought vBulletin 2.3.0 and are busy translating it into Danish and setting up the design, hopefully, ready for sunday (we wish).
            You did not find a suitable Danish translation on the web?

What are the performance for this board. We usually have around 1000 members, who posts a lot of graphics.
            vBulletin can handle a million posts. Next time you post, you should give us:

-bandwidth usage, daily
            -GIF/JPEG usage, daily
            -# of visits to the forum each day

Most importantly:

-How much you are paying monthly for web hosting
            -What version of PHP/MySQL the webhost is running

and now that you are running vBulletin,

-What server loads (The 3 numbers in the Admin panel like 0.21, 0.16, 0.61) you are getting. If these numbers are higher than 5 for any length of time, your web host is too small for your needs.

Can we trust this board to hold out and not end up having to tell the kids that all their work has gone, again....
            Again, there is no need to be throwing away any of this, this is a choice you are making. There are converters between many formats.

Hope it works out for you! I think vB is the most efficient use of available resources.

Comment

No fun for webmasters i Denmark

Originally posted by feldon23
              There's no reason to scrap posts. Realize that tools exist or tools can be found to convert from just about anything to anything else. PHP... it's a beautiful thing.
              Yes, PHP is a wonderful thing, I'm just learning but are finding it much easier to work with than CGI.
              I had so many probs with the last CGI board that scrapping it seemed a good thing to do. This time I'm trying to keep on top of it with more moderators.

You did not find a suitable Danish translation on the web?
              Nope, not one. But we are a bit special too, because it has to be set up for kids. Easy to use and understand.
              I have finished the translation now, I hope I never have to do it again ;o)

vBulletin can handle a million posts. Next time you post, you should give us:

-bandwidth usage, daily
              -GIF/JPEG usage, daily
              -# of visits to the forum each day
              The site itself usually generates 40GB trafic (bandwith) a month, the numbers for the forum itself I do not know. We are promoting it at the moment but have only about 40 online at a time so far.

Most importantly:

-How much you are paying monthly for web hosting
              -What version of PHP/MySQL the webhost is running

and now that you are running vBulletin,

-What server loads (The 3 numbers in the Admin panel like 0.21, 0.16, 0.61) you are getting. If these numbers are higher than 5 for any length of time, your web host is too small for your needs.
              Our website is split over 2 web hosts because of the heavy load (not very easy to find a host that will take us in). We pay about 100 USD a month for this. This includes 700MB, 5 MYsql and 100 pop3.

The load is about 0.55, 0.63, 0.89 at the moment, but it has pushed 15.0 at one time witch made our host complain... got a mail today that registrer.php made the server hit the roof (sick of this... really).

Again, there is no need to be throwing away any of this, this is a choice you are making. There are converters between many formats.

Hope it works out for you! I think vB is the most efficient use of available resources.
              I believe it was a good choice this time, but next time I'm sure to take everything with me to a new forum (hope the day is very far away)...

Thanks for your reply, should you wish to visit us, the address is: www.dudu.dk , the forum url is: http://cgi.dullernes-univers.dk/ms/index.php . To protect the children the forum is not open to visitors, sign up is a must ;o)

Lots of love from Denmark and a very tired webmaster that hopes that one day she will be able to afford to employ staff to help out ;o))

Comment

Yes, PHP is a wonderful thing, I'm just learning but are finding it much easier to work with than CGI.
                I had so many probs with the last CGI board that scrapping it seemed a good thing to do. This time I'm trying to keep on top of it with more moderators.

Nope, not one. But we are a bit special too, because it has to be set up for kids. Easy to use and understand.
                I have finished the translation now, I hope I never have to do it again ;o)

The site itself usually generates 40GB trafic (bandwith) a month, the numbers for the forum itself I do not know. We are promoting it at the moment but have only about 40 online at a time so far.

Our website is split over 2 web hosts because of the heavy load (not very easy to find a host that will take us in). We pay about 100 USD a month for this. This includes 700MB, 5 MYsql and 100 pop3.

The load is about 0.55, 0.63, 0.89 at the moment, but it has pushed 15.0 at one time witch made our host complain... got a mail today that registrer.php made the server hit the roof (sick of this... really).

I believe it was a good choice this time, but next time I'm sure to take everything with me to a new forum (hope the day is very far away)...

Thanks for your reply, should you wish to visit us, the address is: www.dudu.dk , the forum url is: http://cgi.dullernes-univers.dk/ms/index.php . To protect the children the forum is not open to visitors, sign up is a must ;o)

Lots of love from Denmark and a very tired webmaster that hopes that one day she will be able to afford to employ staff to help out ;o))
                Open a thread asking how to reduce server load in the How Do I part of vBulletin 2.
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I noticed that your address for the forums is cgi.

With PHP running in cgi mode, opposed to a service makes it run slower. I have had 1896 on my board concurrently, with 4,000 served within 5 minutes, and my server never hit above 2

I would look into getting a new host if you are constantly getting above 4 or 5 for server loads.

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED

With PHP running in cgi mode, opposed to a service makes it run slower. I have had 1896 on my board concurrently, with 4,000 served within 5 minutes, and my server never hit above 2

I would look into getting a new host if you are constantly getting above 4 or 5 for server loads.
                    This is similar to what I was going to suggest. When I read of your problems the 1st thing that occured to me is the potential that there is some problem with your server or host. I have seen many huge boards (re: posts & members) for ikonboards and the others you mention. None of them reporting the problems you mention about instability. I would say vBulletin is the largest and best board... but your problem may not have anything to do with your board software.
                    :p -=Xube ®
                    ...it's just technology

Comment

Originally posted by UHN_ED

The cgi.dullernes-univers.dk is just the DNS address to the server where I run all my scripts from, as my other host doesn't have the no how to supply what I need.
                      I do run the board php and MYsql.

Comment

Originally posted by Xube
                        This is similar to what I was going to suggest. When I read of your problems the 1st thing that occured to me is the potential that there is some problem with your server or host. I have seen many huge boards (re: posts & members) for ikonboards and the others you mention. None of them reporting the problems you mention about instability. I would say vBulletin is the largest and best board... but your problem may not have anything to do with your board software.
                        I hear you ;o)
                        The "funny" thing is that it was around the same time that ALL my cgi scripts started to behave odd and the complaints started rolling in. I started from one end replacing all cgi scripts with php versions. I never could understand why it all happend at once, some of the scripts where only rarely used and shouldn't cause probs.
                        Maybe a downgrade of server?

I really do not suspect vbulletin of making the server unstable, rather my host of not wanting to let me have the use of so much bandwidth at the low cost I'm paying at the moment.

We are working on racing funds to buy a dedicated server, the growth we are having at the moment will soon have us paying too much anyway and shutting down services for our users, for any length of time, really isn't too good for us.

Thank you all for your good advice, it's nice to know that help is at hand and very fast too ;o)

Comment

You can find Virtual Private Servers / Semi-Dedicated Hosting for $80 a month that would cover you here.

Then you would have 1.5GB space, unlimited MySQL, unlimited POP3, 40GB/mo traffic, and enough CPU% to do 100 simultaneous users. I am running a $80/mo VPS and have been up to 115 simultaneous users. I have only seen my Server Load go above .50 once in the last month.

The 40GB/mo traffic is a bit much, you might want to distribute that over a couple of cheapie $8/mo servers.

I agree with the suggestion of looking at reducing bandwidth.

Actually, it sounds like bandwidth is more of a problem than server load *should be*. On my forum, I have turned on GZIP compression. This decreases forum bandwidth by 20-30% but increases the server load. I must turn off GZIP when users hits ~80. Just a consideration/possibility.

Comment

Your website is incredibly graphically intensive. Nothing wrong with that, I think the site is very attractive to the target audience. But none of the images have been optimized.

Just by opening and re-saving the graphics, the graphics could save 20-50%.

I would be glad to re-save some images for you if it would help. You might want to consider a program called "Media Cleaner Pro". It can be set unattended to process folders of images with the color settings you want, such as:
                            optimize without reducing colors, or:
                            optimize without going below 64 colors.
                            Last edited by feldon23; Tue 8 Apr '03, 12:22am.

Comment

Database error

Just a quick one here (I will reply the others shortly).

This error has happend a couple of times, what is it?
                              Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed
                              mysql error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)

mysql error number: 2002

Date: Wednesday 09th of April 2003 03:00:51 PM
                              Script: /ms/private.php

-Marianne

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X