Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a little typo, its [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Briscoe
      You have a little typo, its [email protected].
      Thank you.
      Sent it again. (right address this time, I hope)

Comment

There is a version going around that is "spy-fixed". Which means that it doesn't call home, or whatever you called it. I don't know where it originated from but it's spy-fixed by Synthetic, if that helps at all.

I don't own vB (yet), but i sent a check...I don't want to steal something like this. Plus...I want to support the coders for making such a great product!

Comment

Originally posted by sebastian406
          I don't own vB (yet), but i sent a check...I don't want to steal something like this. Plus...I want to support the coders for making such a great product!
          Hi Sebastian.

It's good to see someone honest who pays for what they use.
          Too many people don't understand that if you use pirate software (vB) the developers (Jelsoft) don't get the revenue they otherwise would from paying customers and they will lack the resources to further develop the product (vB4+). That is the last thing we as consumers should want, to damage the product we so much want to use ourselves.

Spy fixed is a general term for software that has been modified to remove anything that monitors your usage of it, in this case the call home function.
          Synthetic is not the only one out there doing this and pretty much all versions of vB are available "spy-fixed". I just report them as I find them.
          Sometimes the people who distribute their files do so without making this modification and you can pull their license number out of the code.
          You get a get a nice warm fuzzy feeling and a sense of satisfaction when you report one of those.
          Last edited by vBR; Mon 24 Mar '03, 5:26am.

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
            Hi Sebastian.

It's good to see someone honest who pays for what they use.
            Too many people don't understand that if you use pirate software (vB) the developers (Jelsoft) don't get the revenue they otherwise would from paying customers and they will lack the resources to further develop the product (vB4+). That is the last thing we as consumers should want, to damage the product we so much want to use ourselves.

Spy fixed is a general term for software that has been modified to remove anything that monitors your usage of it, in this case the call home function.
            Synthetic is not the only one out there doing this and pretty much all versions of vB are available "spy-fixed". I just report them as I find them.
            Sometimes the people who distribute their files do so without making this modification and you can pull their license number out of the code.
            You get a get a nice warm fuzzy feeling and a sense of satisfaction when you report one of those.

Heh, They dont lack money They have More members that pay then people that dont.

I'm wondering how many Users Vbulletin has paying for its software anyways?

Comment

Well, I dunno about how many users, but Google (is your friend ) says about 660,000 sites contain the phrase "Powered by: vBulletin". Considering about 1/3 of those are probably pirated, that leaves about 440,000 sites being legal copies, and there's probably still more that have reduced that to the minimum "vBulletin, © 2000-200x...", and a handful or two that have bought the no-branding license where you can remove the copyright notice.

Comment

RE: no branding licence.

why would anyone wanna buy vb and not advertise it.
                imo it shows the site is proffessional, and that the webmaster is dedicated enough to pay for something so the users can interact.

Comment

Originally posted by nebby
                  RE: no branding licence.

why would anyone wanna buy vb and not advertise it.
                  imo it shows the site is proffessional, and that the webmaster is dedicated enough to pay for something so the users can interact.
                  If I were to run a corporate Intranet, I would want no external links whatsoever.

Comment

Microsoft would pay the $$$ to remove the copyright, just to put in their own

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
                      Microsoft would pay the $$$ to remove the copyright, just to put in their own
                      While you can remove all references to vBulletin and Jelsoft under the branding free license you can not make it appear to be something else.

Comment

You can pay Jelsoft like $$$ (more then 100 and less then 1000)and then you are allowed to remove the copyright and put down anything you want in the footer. I will put down 'copyrights <year> <my company name>' - as will many others do with theirs. - They won't claim they made it.
                        Last edited by Floris; Mon 31 Mar '03, 4:51pm.

Comment

I think this conversation has gone on long enough.

If you have questions about possibly pirated copies of vBulletin please send an email to [email protected].

If you have a question about purchasing vBulletin or the branding free license, please send an email to [email protected].
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X