Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xtremeduelist
    replied
    phpBB is a great forum software, Although, It lacks so many features.., Like.. Everything you need!

vBulletin pwns phpBB all the way. phpBB 2.2 seems quite convincing.., And might go up in the Pro group (vB,IPB).

So, Untill phpBB 2.2 Final comes out, And vBulletin 3.0.0 Final comes out, We will see the facts.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Originally posted by SFishy
    Not-for-nothing, I hear this argument tossed around a lot when it comes to "hacks available" and "free software". Great... so phpBB may have the ability to do what VB does out of the box if I go and add 300 hacks to it. Guess what though? My time is worth money, and if I have to spend hours and hours and hours hacking and customizing phpBB just to give it the features VB has "out-of-the-box", than honestly, it's no longer free. And I really don't want to have to keep replugging in hacks each time I upgrade.
    This is exactly what went through my mind before buying VB. Phpbb 2 did not have the upload capability and I tried to install the upgrade hack. Phpbb2 was in RC stages and the hack did not work after trying it many times. My time was limited and I did not want to spend hours adding new features that VB had by default. On top of that, I did not know that hacks would need to be re-installed each time there is an upgrade!

Originally posted by SFishy

----

As for an earlier argument going on about copyright violation, let me just say this -- -- That smilie is mine.
    Wow! That pretty kewl!

Leave a comment:

• Nosferatu
    replied
    If that were the case Jelsoft would find it hard to ask you to remove it whither you paid for the privalege to be told what you could talk about or not.

but yeah Squall is right... My question is though.... if people are willing to trade warez vidz etc on a vb board whats to make them buy a license compared to getting a muted vB in the first place?

Leave a comment:

• Equ1n0x
    replied
    heh, fair enough then, just examples =P

Even in some places where there are no laws regarding such matters, can't use vb's. (I'm guessing offshore, etc?)

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Equ1n0x
    If you want a top board, run vb, if your doing anything 'questionable' with it, use invision, phpbb, or some other faf.

I know a few people who would have bought vb, had it not been for this clause, but its Jelsofts choice, they are the only ones that can lose sales because of it :|
    If what you are doing is illegal, do you think someone will give a damn if you are using phpBB or vB? The answer is no. It's illegal no matter what software you use.

Leave a comment:

• Nosferatu
    replied
    looks like Jelsoft doesnt need any help shutting down vb boards lol
    three words in google and voila

http://www.wareznet.net/board/search.php?s=

Leave a comment:

• Equ1n0x
    replied
    If you want a top board, run vb, if your doing anything 'questionable' with it, use invision, phpbb, or some other faf.

I know a few people who would have bought vb, had it not been for this clause, but its Jelsofts choice, they are the only ones that can lose sales because of it :|

Leave a comment:

• Nosferatu
    replied
    In reference to IP rights and the clause in the vB license agreement

Hey, I never actually read that clause... now knowing about it, it makes me want to go to my vb forum and start posting lots of crap about p0rn, warez, books, vidz and basically just about anything else I can think of that might even be considered as violation... I would too if I thought Vb were going to Gestapo down to my door and demand their license back.

Here's a tried and tested thought.... Can you sue Sony over a stereo/video that a tape was copied on? Does the fact that they also have disclaimers etc about what you can and can’t do with their hardware actually stop anyone from doing it anyways? (and does it slow down the sales of DVDRW/VCRs ?)

I'm sure vB will disagree here but as far as professionalism goes it certainly hasn’t done any harm to the brand name media writers.

I agree quite whole heartedly that IP infringement is illegal, harmful etc etc etc but what I cant agree to is that vB tells *ME* what I put on my forum once I've bought a license to it (as long as I'm not distributing vBulletin copies or anything related to Jelsoft Enterprises).

It could actually be considered as freedom of speech (which currently still exists in the UK).

Personally I think that

A: vBulletin are NOT going to come stomping around your forum with the heavy mob if you’re running a licensed copy of VB

B: Even if they did, would it be worth their while enforcing it?

C: that Jelsoft are respectively covering their backs and are obviously not going to condone piracy

Really though, within reason I doubt that Jelsoft would remove a license because the content simply didn’t agree with them.

Sure, they could get the *spit* RIAA/MPA onto you... but then so could your web host right?

If you asked Jelsoft "Can I post illegal content on my vBulletin forum?" The answer would be no...

but do you honestly think the answer would be any different if you asked someone from phpbb ?

Ian.
    Last edited by Nosferatu; Thu 29 May '03, 2:58am. Reason: damn typos

Leave a comment:

• Matthew Gordon
    replied
    Originally posted by Chen
    That's funny, last time I checked vBulletin.org had over 1,500 hacks available for download, while phpBBhacks.com only has 422 hacks. So how does "phpBB2 has more mods readily available"? And besides, how can they be unbiased if they are using phpBB themselves? And how is phpBB's installation so much easier than vBulletin's? And I'd like to see a list of these 78 security holes, heh... what did they test, vBulletin 2 beta 1?
    And, from what I've seen, many, if not most of the phpBB hacks can be done as template mods in vB.

Leave a comment:

• Equ1n0x
    replied
    nice smiley, cheers

Leave a comment:

• SFishy
    replied
    I thought I'd chime in here.

I run both phpBB and VBulletin for two separate communities. VB is used for my busy community that has lots of members and that cators more to my audience. I decided to use phpBB when I needed new bulletin board software for a sub-set of my main community. From experience (in running old crappy non-php BB software) I decided that I didn't want to spend money on a community that wasn't going to have even 10% of the traffic.

I've been running both for a while.

phpBB is fine... but in comparison to VB it really lacks a lot (out of the box). The admin features alone in VB are far better that phpBB. I often want to do something in phpBB that I just can't accomplish at all, let alone easily, as I can with VB.

Not-for-nothing, I hear this argument tossed around a lot when it comes to "hacks available" and "free software". Great... so phpBB may have the ability to do what VB does out of the box if I go and add 300 hacks to it. Guess what though? My time is worth money, and if I have to spend hours and hours and hours hacking and customizing phpBB just to give it the features VB has "out-of-the-box", than honestly, it's no longer free. And I really don't want to have to keep replugging in hacks each time I upgrade.

----

As for an earlier argument going on about copyright violation, let me just say this -- -- That smilie is mine. Okay, so you can say "you're full of crap" -- actually I'm not. I made it from scratch years ago, and granted UBB (Ted) permission to use it (along with a handful of others including -- I used to use UBB before June 2001). Shortly after that starting popping up all over the net as BB companies starting jumping into the game. I don't CARE and that isn't my point -- I obviously didn't pursue it back then and don't intend to now, because for crying-out-loud, it's just a smilie -- but my point is, be careful when you're pointing your finger at other people. Unless you watch your graphic artist create a piece of artwork pixel by pixel, don't be so sure you're not in violation yourself. I'm not trying to sound b*tchy or start an argument here, I just think it's IMPOSSIBLE for VB as a software company to ensure that every user of it's software out there isn't violating copyrights in at least some way, even the smallest of ways. Your members post lyrics from a song, you're in violation. They add a graphic to their signature that's a Pokemon, you're in violation. Use avatars that are photographs of supermodels, you're in violation. Grab a bunch of smilies you saw on someone else's board that they MAY have created all by themselves from scratch, you're in violation. And like the shampoo commercial, and so-on and so-on and so-on. I see this kind of stuff on TONS of VB's all over the place. It's the nature of bulletin boards, and unless you are going to police it constantly, you're not going to avoid it.

Not to say they shouldn't SAY they are in support of intellectual property and copyright law -- just be realistic. Personally, this is exactly why I don't allow [img] code and custom avatars in my community, and why I DO create all my smilies from scratch. If you think that all the avatars and smilies out there are used with permission, you're high. As long as the software allows it, they are open to the possibility of copyright infringement.

Just my 2 cents
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• cyburbia
    replied
    There's an online demo of the phpBB administration section at http://opensourcecms.com/modules.php...howpage&pid=18 .

I'm not too impressed, personally. Templating and customization aren't convenient. The lack of easy customization is keeping me from considering the free CMS prograns, like Geeklog or the Nukes.

If anything, though, I think the default templates for phpBB and InvisionBoard look more professional than the vBulletin default.
    Last edited by cyburbia; Tue 27 May '03, 9:57am.

Leave a comment:

• just21
    replied
    discuss pro 4?

How does discuss pro 4 compare with vbulletin and phpbb?

thanks for your comments

Leave a comment:

• Reno
    replied
    ipb is seriously catching up fast. wBB2 is quite impressive from the fact that it's still on version 2.0.2.

But, vB has better hackers, support, options. I prefer vBulletin a whole lot.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Originally posted by JimpsEd
    Still, my community continues to raise money for VB, so it is phpBB for now.
    This is the same way I purchasd VB. I got my members to donate and I collected enough to purchase VB and pay for support untill 2005!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X