VBulletin Vs. PHPBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chen
    That's funny, last time I checked vBulletin.org had over 1,500 hacks available for download, while phpBBhacks.com only has 422 hacks. So how does "phpBB2 has more mods readily available"? And besides, how can they be unbiased if they are using phpBB themselves? And how is phpBB's installation so much easier than vBulletin's? And I'd like to see a list of these 78 security holes, heh... what did they test, vBulletin 2 beta 1?
    The installation really is easier...no need to edit config.php and all those many extra steps
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I install a lot of boards and help others do so. I have noticed a huge shift toward invision boards and in phpbb. My personal preference is vb but the others are catching up fast. VB3 will either set vb apart from the rest or just coexist if not lose ground the the cheaper/free boards. A lot of things should be INCLUDED with vb. Things like a portal, options of skins, etc. A lot of the hacks could just be option to install or not. This would greatly improve vb sales. Yes there is vb.org and vbportal.com but I can't help but laugh watching a simple user try to install hacks and something goes wrong.

Just my 2 unbiased cents.

Comment

vBulletin is a forum. It is not a portal, a chat room, an e-mail client, and a forum.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
          vBulletin is a forum. It is not a portal, a chat room, an e-mail client, and a forum.
          I totally agree with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
            Second is support, you get 24 / 7 support usually within an hour at the moment via the support system.
            Very true, often within minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by JimpsEd
              Still, my community continues to raise money for VB, so it is phpBB for now.
              This is the same way I purchasd VB. I got my members to donate and I collected enough to purchase VB and pay for support untill 2005!

Comment

ipb is seriously catching up fast. wBB2 is quite impressive from the fact that it's still on version 2.0.2.

But, vB has better hackers, support, options. I prefer vBulletin a whole lot.

Comment

discuss pro 4?

How does discuss pro 4 compare with vbulletin and phpbb?

thanks for your comments

Comment

There's an online demo of the phpBB administration section at http://opensourcecms.com/modules.php...howpage&pid=18 .

I'm not too impressed, personally. Templating and customization aren't convenient. The lack of easy customization is keeping me from considering the free CMS prograns, like Geeklog or the Nukes.

If anything, though, I think the default templates for phpBB and InvisionBoard look more professional than the vBulletin default.
                    Last edited by cyburbia; Tue 27 May '03, 9:57am.
                    Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

I thought I'd chime in here.

I run both phpBB and VBulletin for two separate communities. VB is used for my busy community that has lots of members and that cators more to my audience. I decided to use phpBB when I needed new bulletin board software for a sub-set of my main community. From experience (in running old crappy non-php BB software) I decided that I didn't want to spend money on a community that wasn't going to have even 10% of the traffic.

I've been running both for a while.

phpBB is fine... but in comparison to VB it really lacks a lot (out of the box). The admin features alone in VB are far better that phpBB. I often want to do something in phpBB that I just can't accomplish at all, let alone easily, as I can with VB.

Not-for-nothing, I hear this argument tossed around a lot when it comes to "hacks available" and "free software". Great... so phpBB may have the ability to do what VB does out of the box if I go and add 300 hacks to it. Guess what though? My time is worth money, and if I have to spend hours and hours and hours hacking and customizing phpBB just to give it the features VB has "out-of-the-box", than honestly, it's no longer free. And I really don't want to have to keep replugging in hacks each time I upgrade.

----

As for an earlier argument going on about copyright violation, let me just say this -- -- That smilie is mine. Okay, so you can say "you're full of crap" -- actually I'm not. I made it from scratch years ago, and granted UBB (Ted) permission to use it (along with a handful of others including -- I used to use UBB before June 2001). Shortly after that starting popping up all over the net as BB companies starting jumping into the game. I don't CARE and that isn't my point -- I obviously didn't pursue it back then and don't intend to now, because for crying-out-loud, it's just a smilie -- but my point is, be careful when you're pointing your finger at other people. Unless you watch your graphic artist create a piece of artwork pixel by pixel, don't be so sure you're not in violation yourself. I'm not trying to sound b*tchy or start an argument here, I just think it's IMPOSSIBLE for VB as a software company to ensure that every user of it's software out there isn't violating copyrights in at least some way, even the smallest of ways. Your members post lyrics from a song, you're in violation. They add a graphic to their signature that's a Pokemon, you're in violation. Use avatars that are photographs of supermodels, you're in violation. Grab a bunch of smilies you saw on someone else's board that they MAY have created all by themselves from scratch, you're in violation. And like the shampoo commercial, and so-on and so-on and so-on. I see this kind of stuff on TONS of VB's all over the place. It's the nature of bulletin boards, and unless you are going to police it constantly, you're not going to avoid it.

Not to say they shouldn't SAY they are in support of intellectual property and copyright law -- just be realistic. Personally, this is exactly why I don't allow [img] code and custom avatars in my community, and why I DO create all my smilies from scratch. If you think that all the avatars and smilies out there are used with permission, you're high. As long as the software allows it, they are open to the possibility of copyright infringement.

Just my 2 cents
                      Attached Files

Comment

nice smiley, cheers

Quality Hosting - Viper Internet
                        We Make Server Management Easy! - EasyServerManagement.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Chen
                          That's funny, last time I checked vBulletin.org had over 1,500 hacks available for download, while phpBBhacks.com only has 422 hacks. So how does "phpBB2 has more mods readily available"? And besides, how can they be unbiased if they are using phpBB themselves? And how is phpBB's installation so much easier than vBulletin's? And I'd like to see a list of these 78 security holes, heh... what did they test, vBulletin 2 beta 1?
                          And, from what I've seen, many, if not most of the phpBB hacks can be done as template mods in vB.

Comment

In reference to IP rights and the clause in the vB license agreement

Hey, I never actually read that clause... now knowing about it, it makes me want to go to my vb forum and start posting lots of crap about p0rn, warez, books, vidz and basically just about anything else I can think of that might even be considered as violation... I would too if I thought Vb were going to Gestapo down to my door and demand their license back.

Here's a tried and tested thought.... Can you sue Sony over a stereo/video that a tape was copied on? Does the fact that they also have disclaimers etc about what you can and can’t do with their hardware actually stop anyone from doing it anyways? (and does it slow down the sales of DVDRW/VCRs ?)

I'm sure vB will disagree here but as far as professionalism goes it certainly hasn’t done any harm to the brand name media writers.

I agree quite whole heartedly that IP infringement is illegal, harmful etc etc etc but what I cant agree to is that vB tells *ME* what I put on my forum once I've bought a license to it (as long as I'm not distributing vBulletin copies or anything related to Jelsoft Enterprises).

It could actually be considered as freedom of speech (which currently still exists in the UK).

Personally I think that

A: vBulletin are NOT going to come stomping around your forum with the heavy mob if you’re running a licensed copy of VB

B: Even if they did, would it be worth their while enforcing it?

C: that Jelsoft are respectively covering their backs and are obviously not going to condone piracy

Really though, within reason I doubt that Jelsoft would remove a license because the content simply didn’t agree with them.

Sure, they could get the *spit* RIAA/MPA onto you... but then so could your web host right?

If you asked Jelsoft "Can I post illegal content on my vBulletin forum?" The answer would be no...

but do you honestly think the answer would be any different if you asked someone from phpbb ?

Ian.
                            Last edited by Nosferatu; Thu 29 May '03, 2:58am. Reason: damn typos
                            Developing the 4th dimension
                            www.4Development.Net

Comment

If you want a top board, run vb, if your doing anything 'questionable' with it, use invision, phpbb, or some other faf.

I know a few people who would have bought vb, had it not been for this clause, but its Jelsofts choice, they are the only ones that can lose sales because of it :|

Quality Hosting - Viper Internet
                              We Make Server Management Easy! - EasyServerManagement.COM

Comment

looks like Jelsoft doesnt need any help shutting down vb boards lol
                                three words in google and voila

http://www.wareznet.net/board/search.php?s=
                                Developing the 4th dimension
                                www.4Development.Net

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X