VBulletin Vs. PHPBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Machol
    This has been covered over and over again. Burning Board is not a pirated vB. The code is different.
    I am sorry. The next time I would read the 434768 old messages before post a question. lol

Comment

Originally posted by scarlet
      I am sorry. The next time I would read the 434768 old messages before post a question. lol
      You know, there is a search engine...

Comment

Even though they look the same, vBulletin is just so much more stable and complete, professional and superious support.

Comment

A search for "Woltlab" yielded 23 results.

Comment

I will add my opinion on this thread.

Well I've used many of the bulletin board products out there, and still do. There are many reasons why people choose others, but I like vBulletin loads.

As for mods and hacks, yes, there are many around and some great place to get them. The forum is very stable.

IPB has released many updates, and why? Well most are sercurity flaws, so they must release them.

Most site that support IPB like ibplanet are the same as IPB, wanna know why?

Well go to the bug section, I am sorry to say but their bug section is pages long, so why rush to them? There is no need to rush a board being made, if you do this is what happens.

Phpbb is nice but again, its buggy, I reinstalled PHPBB four times now, and errors still come up with logging in. Maybe a simple error, but for a BB that's not acceptable. If there is a error and they know it, production of the next version should halt and a patch or a new update should be released first in my eyes.

vBulletn may have been a while since an update as monumental as 3.0, but why change something that works well? Yes, it's great to have nice new features, but from mine and many people views, don't go changing things that sell a board.

A classic example: IPB is now on 1.2, and yet again they bring out a new skinning engine. There was such a large amount of time put into a huge amount of skins for 1.1 and they change it so they are not going to work with the new system.

Many people make money off of skinning their boards and charge $35 to make a skin. Now their work and money is now stopped as they now go to to update all their work to 1.2 for there customers.

We all like new features, but at what expense?

That is the reason why my only 2 boards of choice come down to vBulletin and Ikonboard. I choose vBulletin first, but if the money isn't there, then I go with Ikonboard (I prefer PHP to CGI). Both are very stable, well developed and rounded products. I tip my hat off to JEG and Jelsoft for their great products.
            | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
            |
            Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
              Even though they look the same, vBulletin is just so much more stable and complete, professional and superious support.

You may all acutally be interested in a test of many popular forum boards (the final 6 which where the post popular were tested (more than 200 were entered)).

These tests are unbiased. Obviously here you're going to get people bad-mouthing phpBB etc. and people at www.phpbb.com bad mouthing V-Bulletin for X reason.

These tests were conducted by hosting and forum community providers AMZ (www.amzweb.net). The testers are proffessional PHP and data-base physical and virtual system workers.

Here, and I quote from the original report are the final tests (which, not suprisingly came down to phpBB and VB).

I, myself use phpBB until I can afford VB as it has more features. However, that may come under consideration when PHPBB 2.3 comes out.

(only the conclusion section shown here)
              ---------------

People are of the assumption that because vBulletin costs more that
              it is inherently better.

We spent six months and actually tested EVERY forum
              application, more than 250 in all, in various test catagories including
              what you mentioned load handling and stability. In this test, we loaded
              the forums on test servers that automatically posted identical messages
              on the forums until the forums couldn't handle it anymore.

vBulletin wasn't able to handle but 1/5th of the load of phpBB2 before it
              started becoming unstable. phpBB2 outlasted the MySQL database
              server!

In code performance tests, they were close but phpBB2 had the
              faster code execution.

In pre-installed features, vBulletin clearly won that catagory but phpBB2
              has more mods readily available that allow it to both equal and surpass
              the features and capabilities of vBulletin after installation. This fact
              waters down any value vBulletin might have in having pre-installed
              features and the cost difference is definitely not worth it on this
              item alone.

In security tests, we found 78 ways to break the system that could
              be used against any vBulletin installation. While this was low by
              comparison against some of the others such as IkonBoard with more
              than 1900 vulnerabilities, it didn't come close to phpBB2 which ranked
              only 9 and were easily closable.

In ease of installation, phpBB2 also won the competition with an
              installation time under 30 seconds.

In code flexibility, licensing, and ability to customize, there was no
              contest ... phpBB2 won hands down.

Overall, phpBB2 and vBulletin were very close in the scores but phpBB2
              definitely won when looking at all the testing areas.

The idea that vBulletin is so much better is actually a misconception
              based upon the bad assumption of it's price difference. People have
              the inclination to believe that because something is expensive, it must
              be better ... especially against something that is FREE. Well gladly
              that isn't always true .... the best bang for the buck goes to phpBB2.

The top three forums we tested in order are:

Gold: phpBB2
              Silver: vBulletin
              Bronze: InvisionBoard (kind of an irony)

The worst forum we tested with the consistent lowest scores:

IkonBoard

Incidentally we also went through this whole debate about a year
              ago when the scores were first released. At the time most people
              thought vBulletin was far superior to phpBB2 and that it couldn't
              possibly be that close. As more and more people tried phpBB2,
              we had tons of comments coming back to us from previous vBulletin
              users how shocked they were that phpBB2 and vBulletin were actually
              so similiar. At the time, we actually allowed vBulletin on here so
              it was a free choice to try it and we had member after member
              praising phpBB2 and freaking out because they had spent all that
              money of vBulletin for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by JimpsEd
                In pre-installed features, vBulletin clearly won that catagory but phpBB2
                has more mods readily available that allow it to both equal and surpass
                the features and capabilities of vBulletin after installation. This fact
                waters down any value vBulletin might have in having pre-installed
                features and the cost difference is definitely not worth it on this
                item alone.
                That's funny, last time I checked vBulletin.org had over 1,500 hacks available for download, while phpBBhacks.com only has 422 hacks. So how does "phpBB2 has more mods readily available"? And besides, how can they be unbiased if they are using phpBB themselves? And how is phpBB's installation so much easier than vBulletin's? And I'd like to see a list of these 78 security holes, heh... what did they test, vBulletin 2 beta 1?
                Chen Avinadav
                Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

I am no representative of AMZ, but think it was the first stable release of VB 2 to come out, and there ARE actually 100's and 100's of phpbb hacks out there, but the (now 476) hacks at phpbbhacks are only the ones tested.

I know a forum 'hacker' who does many mods (big enhancement mods) for phpBB, and he alone has a site of 57 modifications none of which are listed at phpbb.com or phphbbhacks.

Still, my community continues to raise money for VB, so it is phpBB for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chen
                    And besides, how can they be unbiased if they are using phpBB themselves?
                    Well, they have used themselves almost every board (php) out there as a community base.

Right now they are writing their own with the features of v-bulliten, an integrated portal and the stable coding of phpBB.

(Namely U69 board).

Comment

I don't about you, but that test doesn't sound like anything you should rely on to me ...

vBulletin wasn't able to handle but 1/5th of the load of phpBB2 before it started becoming unstable. phpBB2 outlasted the MySQL database server!
                      So they are trying to tell us that with 1/5 of the load a mySQL server can take, vBulletin becomes unstable (btw, how do PHP scripts become unstable ?). Sorry, but this test sounds plain stupid.

In ease of installation, phpBB2 also won the competition with an installation time under 30 seconds.
                      What does "ease of installation" has to do with the time the installation requires ? You don't have to do much during the 2 minutes vBulletin installation ...

In code flexibility, licensing, and ability to customize, there was no contest ... phpBB2 won hands down.
                      Funny ... I once tried to customize a phpBB2 board and found it a mess to work in their code. One of the reasons I decided to go with vBulletin ...
                      And honestly, I don't like the phpBB2 template system - so much for customization

Right now they are writing their own with the features of v-bulliten, an integrated portal and the stable coding of phpBB.
                      Sure, sure ... and a script to own the net with their biased opinion, right ?

Doesn't sound like an article to base my decission on to me ...

Comment

Nor me, which is why I want V-Bulletin. Please don't think that it is ME SAYING ALL THIS.

Comment

Yeah, sorry - all the quotes of course aren't something you said

Comment

Maybe someone already knows this, but this is kind of funny.

In iBF code, Matt - the former developer of Ikonboard wrote :

Code:
                            skcusgej
                            It means : JEG sucks! At that time I couldn't understand why, but now I can . . . if it weren't for JEG, he'd still be running Ikonboard, and maybe we would've had Mongoose. In my opinion, InvisionBoard is the PHP version of Ikonboard.

Serious discussion has gone to general banter, hasn't it ? Sorry guys, but I just felt like I had to share that one.

Also, about the Ikonboard flaws . . . I have only seen one VERY SMALL BUG, and it you don't use the feature (like most don't) you wouldn't have noticed it at all. And now, it has been fixed with the latest version that came out (3.1.2) earlier this week. I find your number rather high -- when was this? Before Ikonboard went gold? In the version 3 beta? I have found Ikonboard to be a stable and well-rounded product.
                            | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
                            |
                            Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

There's no way they could have found 1900 security flaws in IkonBoard, and I don't even like that software. It's just way too many, don't tell me they have a bug every 10 lines?
                              Chen Avinadav
                              Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

Originally posted by f-a_org
                                you can't compare because of this.

Vbulletin(PAY) All the others (CEPT FOR UBB) (FREE).

so Let's just say the others are good , and free
                                and vB is good but it cost, so you hype it up more.
                                Why the H*LL do people keep saying that?

Of course you can compare them, they are similer products that do the same things, let people post messeges on a forum!

vB may be better, but you can still compare them

Also, I agree that PHPbb is easier to install, if you dont chmod files, it lets you download the file, and then upload it your self, this is easier for windows users who use AOL and dont know what chmoding is

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X