No announcement yet.

VBulletin Vs. PHPBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read all the above comments with much interest, both Jamer & PaulB had valid points, and as one of them already said this is a discussion board script, but with restrictions....weird, anyway I have just got this question and answer from the phpbb site.
    Whom do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this board?
    You should contact the administrator of this board. If you cannot find who that is, you should first contact one of the forum moderators and ask them who you should in turn contact. If still get no response you should contact the owner of the domain (do a whois lookup) or, if this is running on a free service (e.g. yahoo, free.fr, f2s.com, etc.), the management or abuse department of that service. Please note that phpBB Group has absolutely no control and cannot in any way be held liable over how, where or by whom this board is used. It is absolutely pointless contacting phpBB Group in relation to any legal (cease and desist, liable, defamatory comment, etc.) matter not directly related to the phpbb.com website or the discrete software of phpBB itself. If you do email phpBB Group about any third party use of this software then you should expect a terse response or no response at all.
    Which is much more appealing! as I cannot, like you at Jelsoft, be accountable for someone elses comments on a bulletin board which is in the public domain. So with that in mind I am going to download phpbb, sorry Jelsoft, but you need to relax your licence agreement I think, as you are probably losing many customers because of it!!!...you certainly lost a customer with me that's for sure, pity as the VB software looks great.
    Last edited by Serpico; Mon 14th Apr '03, 5:43pm.

Comment

The only customers lost will be those who have a problem with this clause. As the only people affected by it would be using the product to engage in illegal activities, it's no loss really. Jelsoft's better off without them.

As for:
      Originally posted by PaulB
      at what point of obtaining the software are you made aware of this clause because clauses like that one have to be introduced in the early stages of a contract of they are to be legally binding.
      It is plain to see in the license agreement.
      On the purchase page http://www.vbulletin.com/order it is stated before the purchase form "By purchasing this software, you agree to adhere to the license agreement".

Comment

Originally posted by vBR
        The only customers lost will be those who have a problem with this clause. As the only people affected by it would be using the product to engage in illegal activities, it's no loss really. Jelsoft's better off without them.
        I am sorry buddy, but I am not breaking any law! I am merely stating that this clause is pointless, as it would not affect Jelsoft in any way shape or form, if someone was to use this software for illegal activities. So I do not know why they need it, secondly, I only discuss greay area topics, I certainly do not promote them, again you are all missing the point, this is discussion board software, we all agree on that, but you are restricted (in my opinion) on what you can & cannot discuss! how stupid is that? You should be able to discuss anything, how on earth can Jelself be at blame for something someone else might say? If this clause was removed or even re worded to exclude any liability to Jelsoft, then I would gladly use this software. Do you really believe that many people who use this script are not in breach or something covered in this clause, because I bet many are.

If you want another comparison, if you were to hire a car to go ramraiding, the hire car company would not be liable in anyway at all whether or not there was a clause in the contract that stated you must not go ramraiding.

In my view there is no requirement for any legal liability clause because they would not be criminally responsible for any intellectual property infringements.

By the way, in law if you get a term/condition after you have completed the contract which is usually the point you pay for the goods or services, the term cannot be relyed upon by any pary because it is void because it came too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamer
          [color=blue]I have a forum, where we discuss most topics including discussion on MP3, GSM, VCD's etc...but I think I would be in breach of the VB licence on these topics so I choose Phpbb over VB, as I feel that it should be a freedom of speach thing & if I say or do something wrong then only I as the administartor should be accountable, I do not need to be guided by licence clauses, I had my parents for that when I was very young. Just my opinion....I think if VB relaxed their licence, once purchased, they would probably sell a lot more than they do already.
          Discussion of these topics does not violate the vBulletin 3.0 license agreement.
          Distributing files and media that is clearly released to the public and licensed for such wide release by the copyright owner is not a violation of the vBulletin 3.0 license.
          Distributing works where the author has give you specific written permission to do so is not against the vBulletin License.

What is against the vBulletin license is distributed copyright works that do not fit in the categories above in order to circumvent copyright protections instilled into the product or products where said redistribution viloates the copyright itself.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

The point to all this is not the restriction, but that because it appears in a license agreement, if someone on your forum discusses a topic that vBulletin does not like and you do not delete that topic, then they can revoke the whole license!

You can be out $185 just because you did not censor the board.

I don't have these kinds of discussions on my forum, but I see no need for this kind of license agreement since vBulletin cannot be held liable.

Maybe "if your forum discusses the following topics, you may not use the default vBulletin style, you may not link directly to vBulletin.com, etc.".

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
              The point to all this is not the restriction, but that because it appears in a license agreement, if someone on your forum discusses a topic that vBulletin does not like and you do not delete that topic, then they can revoke the whole license!

You can be out $185 just because you did not censor the board.

I don't have these kinds of discussions on my forum, but I see no need for this kind of license agreement since vBulletin cannot be held liable.

Maybe "if your forum discusses the following topics, you may not use the default vBulletin style, you may not link directly to vBulletin.com, etc.".
              As I said before, discussing these things is not against the license agreement. Facilitating the distribution of copyrighted materials without permission is against the license.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Under the most heavy-handed interpretation of recent law, linking to Kazaa could easily be considered facilitating the distribution of copyrighted materials.

3 years ago, I would have thought this concept would be silly and impossible in the USA. Then the DMCA/WIPO was passed.

Any mp3 site of any breadth/freedom risks having their vBulletin license revoked under the present license agreement.

Comment

Very simple: You get what you pay for.

I use Phpbb and a hack for it called MX:System for my site. It's basically functional, but very unfriendly to use and an extreme pain in the butt to modify the scheme (As was mentioned above).

If you have pretty exceptional web development skills and know php very well *AND* enjoy tinkering with code, Phpbb is a fun hobby.

I'm here, because I want a system that's professional in design/use and highly supported and think it's well worth the $160 for a site license.

Originally posted by Roody
                  A friend of mine is wanting to know the difference between the two. He is wondering why he shouldnt go with PHPBB since it's free. Personally I would love to see him on a VBulletin board, but I cant answer his question.

Can someone help me with this?

Comment

I'm here, because I want a system that's professional in design/use and highly supported
                    precisley why i got one.. i have used just about all the free ones and quite frankly they dont compare with vb for ease of modifying.. had this not been the case i dont think i would have shelled the dosh out but by and large i'm very happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by phill2003
                      precisley why i got one.. i have used just about all the free ones and quite frankly they dont compare with vb for ease of modifying.. had this not been the case i dont think i would have shelled the dosh out but by and large i'm very happy with it
                      Have to say this (after spending many days trying to hand code 32 mods for phpBB for features that come standard in VB) -- if you want a quick board up and running "as is" for a couple of people, go with phpBB. If you want a feature rich forum for a lot of people and can withhold many server hits, go with VB.

I just purchased a full license (and waiting....and waiting to download the forum ware) and got to say I wished I had the money earlier (red eyed, caffeine addicted, and my room looks like hell for being trapped in it for days coding a phpBB board --YUCK!).

Chris
                      "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to Authority
                      is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory."
                      ~~~
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Okay, I have read through a lot of these, and some of you may even know that I am a member of phpBB - and well you do not need to know any php to modify the SubSilver template or even create your own template.

Support is almost instantaneous, as I would presume it to be here.

phpBB is good - if you are a relative newbie to php/html. It is very simple, and nothing hard about it.

I am going through all available boards and have been for some time. As phpBB and IBB are opensource, I have tested them all thoroughly, and yet have to play with vb. The skinning system for IBB is atrocious, and it is the worst I have ever come across, and it just seems pathetic.

vb is going to be undoubtedly more secure, and feature packed, which is why I am giving it so much time to look through it. Having no way to look at the way it works, or is skinned without buying a license is somewhat difficult.

Simply looking through the feature list is very impressive - and it could be a deciding factor in play when deciding between the two.

Comment

Hi!
                          There is an admin area demo here at http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html which allows you to see the skinning features and other tools in action.

I hope this helps!
                          Shedd Technologies International
                          WWW.STI.BZ [email protected]
                          Web Development Services & Products
                          www.dlman.com vBulletin Integrated Digital Product Delivery System

Comment

I also came from phpbb. vB is much much more professional, and EASY to use. I have so many more admin fuctions. I can customize everything from the ACP. And can pretty much specify which users and usergroups and do what.

Like a lot of people said, you won't regret spending the $$ on vB once you have it and have set it up.

Comment

A copy of Vbulletin ???

http://www.woltlab.de

Demo > http://www.woltlab.info/en/forum/

LOL

Comment

This has been covered over and over again. Burning Board is not a pirated vB. The code is different.
                                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X