VBulletin Vs. PHPBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBulletin Vs. PHPBB

A friend of mine is wanting to know the difference between the two. He is wondering why he shouldnt go with PHPBB since it's free. Personally I would love to see him on a VBulletin board, but I cant answer his question.

Can someone help me with this?

Originally posted by Roody
    A friend of mine is wanting to know the difference between the two. He is wondering why he shouldnt go with PHPBB since it's free. Personally I would love to see him on a VBulletin board, but I cant answer his question.

Can someone help me with this?
    No one has any thoughts?

Comment

Basically he needs to look at the feature set of both boards and how scaleable he needs the forum to be. If i remember phpBB stores the templates on the filesystem and modifying the subSilver style is more or less impossible, hence why you see so many forums still using the default phpBB style.

Second is support, you get 24 / 7 support usually within an hour at the moment via the support system.
      Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

What he said.

Plus, the code is strewn all about each of the scripts. It's nearly impossible to make a change to the code without being an expert in PHP.

phpBB isn't really a good representative of free forums. Have him check out Invision Board. IMO, it rivals vB2 in many ways.

Here is an example forum using it.

Comment

Originally posted by fury
          Here is an example forum using it.
          Odd - the top buttons (i.e. members, calendar, etc.) look like they were trimmed from those in vB graphics kit (and same filenames). Isn't that a misuse of copyrighted images?

The forum uses the exact colour scheme of vB.org -- I wonder if it's the same 'Neo'...

Comment

Forget PhpBB. They're too slow to make things happen there. Seriously. And, the control panel is not nearly as robust as vBulletin. The user experience leaves something to be desired as well...

InvisionBoard is certainly a BIG player in the message board game these days. Those top images aren't part of the package. Someone added those in on their own. While InvisionBoard is very impressive, it's not coded nearly as well as vBulletin. AND - vBulletin is moving onto vb3 which will likely rival everything to do with InvisionBoard..

The best option is vBulletin. If not for anything else but the way it was built by perfectionists...
            My vBulletin Forums:
            cadillac, buick, pontiac, oldsmobile, automotive, freestyle, 80s, lexus, bmw, mercedes, audi, toyota, honda, acura, nissan, infiniti, hyundai genesis, chevy

...can't fit any more...

Comment

The template system is reason enough to purchase vb. I've used phpBB and invision and let me tell you, making a simple skin on either of those forums would take days or even weeks when with vB you can have a new color scheme in minutes.

Comment

He's not the same Neo as at vBulletin.org.

It's a skin from http://www.gaming-zone.net/, and yeah, the buttons came with the skin set. However, seeing how the owner of the Screensaver owns two vBulletin licenses and has access to the graphics development kit, I don't see a problem with us in particular using the buttons. The skin maker himself, though, might find himself in a bit of trouble.

I find the template system in invision board to be pretty good actually. It's different than vBulletin, but both can be a bit confusing and overwhelming at times.

I just haven't found time to modify it very heavily myself so I imported a skin, threw together a logo, and slapped it up there.

Comment

...yeah, the buttons came with the skin set. However, seeing how the owner of the Screensaver owns two vBulletin licenses and has access to the graphics development kit, I don't see a problem with us in particular using the buttons.
                  I don't know the legalities of it (I thought they were restricted to the license), but I just looked into it out of curiosity.

I find the template system in invision board to be pretty good actually. It's different than vBulletin, but both can be a bit confusing and overwhelming at times.
                  Yeah, I've heard some good things about the templating. If I go ahead with a couple of my smaller topic sites, I'll probably go with InvisionBoard. But for my main site/forum, it's vB hands-down.

Comment

PHPBB = Hardly any features, and has a slow loading time.

InvisionBoard = Great with lots of features, i believe that they have copied vBulletin but anyway InvisionBoard is difficult to edit, not a lot of care has been put into InvisionBoard as it is messy all round. Also newbies may find InvisionBoard difficult to install.

UBB = SLOW, EXPENSIVE, and many needed features are not included.

yaBB SE = Pretty crap and basic.

vBulletin = GREAT GREAT GREAT and TEH BEST! It has almost everything that you can expect from any other board + more, also Jelsoft really know what they are doing. It seems a little over priced before you buy it but once you have purcahced a copy it is definatly worth it!

Anyway Roody, it is impossible to have a contest between PHPBB and vBulletin, because vBulletin just clearly wins...
                    Last edited by Bobbaz; Thu 6th Mar '03, 12:23pm.

Comment

Hi!
                      I have used both phpBB and vBulletin and highly suggest the latter. It's mainly a matter of preference, though. As Scott MacVicar suggested, he should really compare live forums running both systems and make his assesment based on his needs. The support, performance, and user community are also important aspects to consider. It remains a personal choice based on your needs, though.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the decision.
                      Shedd Technologies International
                      WWW.STI.BZ [email protected]
                      Web Development Services & Products
                      www.dlman.com vBulletin Integrated Digital Product Delivery System

Comment

I have also used phpBB and VB....

If you do Happen to be an expert at PHP, use phpBB and save money
                        PhpBB can be very nicely hacked if you know php.

However if your not good at php And want a good Robust easy-to-use baord, use VBulletin

Comment

you can't compare because of this.

Vbulletin(PAY) All the others (CEPT FOR UBB) (FREE).

so Let's just say the others are good , and free
                          and vB is good but it cost, so you hype it up more.

Comment

It really depends upon what you want and need. I used VB and it was a good option with phpportals (http://www.phpportals.com) but rumor has it that this will not be a viable hack come v3. The more I examined my uses, the more I realized that the majority of my users wanted something simple and clean. One style was fine. It's only a MESSAGE BOARD and for most purposes, phpBB will do very, very well. Invision is very nice, very quick, and in many ways very comparable to vBulletin.

Whichever one you get you will have to learn something about html to get around basic changes. Other than somewhat superficial cosmetic changes, e.g. the colors on a basic board, anything cool you want to do can be accomplished on any of these boards. You just have to make the effort to learn them.

So what do you really need? How many users do you really expect to have? You may not ever need to spend money if you only have a few thousand users. These days I rarely ever mess around with the board because it works and I need to spend more time with other things like content management and especially addition. THAT is most important to a site... content.
                            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

I have used both, I have a licence for VB & of course Phpbb is free!

They are both very good in different ways, but what appeals to me most about Phpbb is that there are no restrictions on use, no licence required, which I find unbelievable considering it is also free to use as you want.

I have a forum, where we discuss most topics including discussion on MP3, GSM, VCD's etc...but I think I would be in breach of the VB licence on these topics so I choose Phpbb over VB, as I feel that it should be a freedom of speach thing & if I say or do something wrong then only I as the administartor should be accountable, I do not need to be guided by licence clauses, I had my parents for that when I was very young. Just my opinion....I think if VB relaxed their licence, once purchased, they would probably sell a lot more than they do already.
                              Last edited by Jamer; Sun 13th Apr '03, 4:18pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X