Chinese Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Sites

IS there any Chinese sites using vb? I want to run multi-language (both English and Chinese) BB, how easy can I set up this using vB? I don't know php and sql yet. Can someones show me some example sites?

http://www.socix.com/~kull/bbs/
    http://www.tsing.com/ztbbs/

You can use multiple stylesets to accomplish multi-lingual systems using vBulletin 2.2.9.

In vBulletin 3.0, we are introducing Language Packs. These use phrases instead of embedding language into templates to accomplish multi-lingual capabilities. You will be able to have as many languages as you want including Bidrectional Langauge capabilities on a single styleset and languages will easily be exchangeable via an XML interface.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

You can use multiple stylesets to accomplish multi-lingual systems using vBulletin 2.2.9.

In vBulletin 3.0, we are introducing Language Packs. These use phrases instead of embedding language into templates to accomplish multi-lingual capabilities. You will be able to have as many languages as you want including Bidrectional Langauge capabilities on a single styleset and languages will easily be exchangeable via an XML interface.
      sounds flashy Wayne
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Which older versions is free?
        I ask this because I found many older versions has the Chinese version use in China.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Comment

The are no free versions of vBulletin.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by fengshui-123
            Which older versions is free?
            I ask this because I found many older versions has the Chinese version use in China.
            Sorry buddy, but Steve is right. You'll have to go buy it.

Comment

how come china ppl are using free one?

Comment

Because some people have no qualms about stealing.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

somehow, my board also need to display chinese language.

i want to know whether vb 2.3 support chinese words or not.

this was not indicated in the feature list, but i have heard good thing about vb 3.x which will support multi-language, so when will v3 come out? will the price increase?

Comment

I am looking forward to having vB 3.0

I am the licensed user of UBB and thinking to convert my BBS from UBB to vBB.

My BBS's visitors are mainly Chinese,English and French. The multi-language functioning of vB is my great concern.

Comment

What are your concerns or questions?

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for your ptompt reply, Steve.
                        As you may know that in UBB there is wordlet for multi-language users. I can translate help and error messages given by UBB into Chinese, and make my BBS show bilingually (English and Chinese).

I read lots of topics and posts here in VBB about multi-language support. It is said that VBB 3.0 Gamma has enhanced multi-language function. I do not know what will it be before I buy it.

From the CP of this VBB -what I am using now, I found the visitors can change the language they would like to use. In "board language" selection drop list there are: Use Forum Default, English (US)... Can I add Chinese as a select? And it is easy to to deal with the Chinese translation ?

Another concern is that the search in Chinese. In this VBB-what I am using now, I found that search in Chinese does not work. I mean when I put in key words in Chinese, the VBB does not go. How about VBB 3.0 Gamma?

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Yes, you can now make a Chinese Language Pack with vB3 and make this available to your users. This became fully functional in Gamma and continues with RC1.

As for the search capability, that's one I don't know. I suspect that since the posts are in MySQL database tables, this capability depends on the MySQL version and compilation on the specific server. However a developer will need to answer this more authoritatively.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Thanks for Steve's prompt reply.

These days, I have spent sometime in this forum and found lots positive comments on vBB. Which builds up my confidence to convert from UBB 6.5 to vBB.

As a matter of fact, I know there are some piracy vBB in Chinese versions in the air. It seems no problem for search in Chinese. But I perfer to buy original version of vB from vB's official site-this site, to show my respect to the work of dev team of vB. I clearly know that only make profit for dev. team can vB be more perfect. On the other hand, the life liscense fee $160 is much worth for this great product.

Is there any body can explain to me the problem about search in Chinese in my last post? Is there any problem to do search in Chinese with vBB 3.0?

Thanks!
                            Last edited by SQ123; Sun 4th Jan '04, 9:57am.

Comment

Well, I already purchased a license. Now I realize that the search actually does not work at all, due to the way search is implemented in vB. Can anybody from the developing group shed some light on this?

Some attention must be paid on this before you can call vB a multi-byte characters compatible software.

My understanding is that this system use space as word delimiter, to break sentence into words, then index the words. However, many multibyte language, such as chinese, does not use space as word delimiter. So, there is no way for the system to index.

What I used to do with phpbb (unfortunately, no multibyte language support either) is to skip the system search, and go into the posts database directly and search in it using like or binary like.

Can any developers shed some light on how we might be able to use the current system to do a search on multibyte language which does not use space as word delimiter?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X