Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...expensive license...

hi all,

could anyone give me some serious reasons why in the world i should >>buy<< vbulletin-board while there are other boards which are completely free and are well-featured?

i mean i prefer quality and i would spend money for quality, but vbulletin is too expensive, while other boards like phpbb have same or more features and dont cost anything....

i dont think you can convince me....can you??

phantomas

Vbulletin too expensive? This honestly gives me a good chuckle. Out of all vb's competitors its the cheapest by far.

Want to go with a free board with the "same or more features"? Once you're ready for a high quality board and became more experienced in comparing what has the same or more features, and what does not - come back and think what's best for you.

You won't be disappointed.
    Last edited by okrogius; Mon 3 Feb '03, 9:51am.

Comment

Why are you using windows, if you can also download an OS for free ? .. why have a car if you can walk ?

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
        Why are you using windows, if you can also download an OS for free ? .. why have a car if you can walk ?

Very nice analogy xiphoid.

As stated, vBulletin is $160.00. Try finding a better forum for the samce price. I certainly haven't. I've done countless hours of homework and have yet to find a better forum than vBulletin

Certainly you can get a free forum like phpBB but have you ever seen such a forum with 1,000,000 posts and 1,000 users online at the same time? vBulletin has the stats to prove it. Moreover, you can't beat the simple use of vBulletin, all the great features, and ease of use.

Check out the admindemo. There is sometimes people who mess it up deliberately to defame vBulletin pretending there are security lapses in the system.

But it is not true. It is a fully functional vBulletin with administrative access granted to the guests.

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo
        Click Here to reset demo
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by phantomas
          hi all,

could anyone give me some serious reasons why in the world i should >>buy<< vbulletin-board while there are other boards which are completely free and are well-featured?

Because you know it will scale well as your site gets more popular. Because there's a big user base for it. Because you can look at current users of vB and have some idea as to the amount of load it can handle. Because users seem to like it.

i mean i prefer quality and i would spend money for quality, but vbulletin is too expensive, while other boards like phpbb have same or more features and dont cost anything....

I guess that's kind of like "why spend more money for SCSI than for IDE, when (on paper) IDE has specs that are just as good?" There are answers out there (higher quality parts with a longer warranty, the ability to put more devices on the chain, generally top-end tech hits SCSI before IDE, being able to address multiple drives on the same chain at the same time, having drives automagically ID bad sectors and map around them without having to bother the OS with details, etc), but lots of people can't see past the dollar signs.

I originally looked at phpBB for my board (to replace a vB board) because I was in a hurry to have something up and running so we could begin tinkering with the system. By default I look for open source projects due to past experiences with open/closed source. I believe that phpBB can be used to create a good community. As could Invisionboard (looks better than phpBB, actually).

The questions in my mind, though, were these:
          1. How would the opensource solution hold up with high usage (we started with about 3,000 users, and are seeing about a million hits per day. Not huge, but enough to worry me about less mature solutions)?
          2. How much delegation could we issue? We've probably got 20 moderators right now, with a handful of admins. vB has the tools to keep everyone from stepping on each other's toes, and permissions can be granted on a very granular level. No more trust than necessary needs to be handed out.
          3. Support is available here. Good support. You find good support in the OS community as well, but companies that cater to businesses tend to have a more wholesome approach to customer service. You have a better chance of getting a question here answered quickly than you do with independent devs. Nothing against the opensource dev model, but people have jobs outside of coding OS projects -- the guys on this board do this for a living.
          4. There's the sense that vB knows what kind of project it wants to be as it grows up. I don't get that to the same degree from the other boards.

i dont think you can convince me....can you??

phantomas
          With that approach, probably not. But does it matter?

vB is cheap. Really -- I spent more than that on a SCSI raid controller I bought on eBay. Hell, I spend more than that in connection fees each month. If you can't afford it then no biggie -- you can always (hopefully) upgrade later.
          The High Road

Comment

Because you know it's tight
            and it makes you look "COOL" like me

Comment

Because it's purple! Best reason yet!
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I used to use vB and then one day what the hell, Ill use a free board since from what I hear some free boards are really good. I asked around to find out what the best free board was and a lot of people told me invision board is by far the best board. Well I have been useing it for about a month and thats enough for me. By the end of this next week I should have bought my first ever legal vB license becase well... my forum is a fun hobby for me and Ib is a huge pain in the ass compared to vB. I found out free forum software.. is free for a reason. Anyone here that asks why use this and not that and all that crap, use vB and then other boards, and then you will understand everything.

Comment

Hehehe, you gotta point there savage...they are free for a reason LOL!
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

It shocks me to see how many normal customers (not vBulletin sales or staff) tries to sell off vBulletin.

Comment

We do that because we are convinced that vB is the best forum software out there. We aren't affiliated with Jelsoft if you think that.

Comment

Originally posted by stanmxl
                        It shocks me to see how many normal customers (not vBulletin sales or staff) tries to sell off vBulletin.
                        We wish the best to Jelsoft and we are a community, so, what's wrong with that?
                        Read this:
                        http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=134452
                        Originally posted by Chicken
                        ...and again my public thanks to Steve Machol at vBulletin for helping and understanding.
                        That's why....
                        You're my Prince of Peace
                        And I will live my life for You

Comment

No, Jelsoft is a bloody business and you are one of its 1000 unpaid sales employees from the looks of it.

Comment

We don't need trolling here.

It is the same with Macintosh people (I'm not one of them) and TiVo people (I AM one of them). Occasionally, elegant, efficient software/hardware that just WORKS and RUNS with no problems comes around and we want to tell everyone.

You're telling me you have never gotten excited about anything and told all your friends?

What do you think we gain by telling people how good vBulletin is if, as you say, they aren't paying us (they aren't!)? I guess you think we are all whack-jobs?

Comment

Originally posted by stanmxl
                              No, Jelsoft is a bloody business and you are one of its 1000 unpaid sales employees from the looks of it.
                              [sarcasm]Well sherlock, I never knew Jelsoft was a business. [/sarcasm]

We all praise vbulletin because the software is so damned good and the support is A1.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X