Two Boards on same Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Boards on same Site

Alright here's my question... I'm planning on getting a domain sooner or later and i want to put a vbulletin on the site. I sort of wanted to make two seperate boards on the same site. What i mean is.. not just different categories but two completely different boards on the same site.. for example.. I have board 1 located in the www.mysite.com/forums directory and board two in www.mysite.com/forums2 directory. Is that possible to do or will it just not work because one board will have one database and the other one will need to have a database.. Can two seperate boards on the same site work? I hope this makes sense. Can i make this work? Will it be a pain to make it work? Sorry if this has been discussed or talked about before but there were tons of pages and i didn't know where to start.. Thanks in advanced.

Provided that you have two MySQL databases you can use, this would be possible. If you only have one database, you would have to wait until vB3 is released for the option to add prefixes to your database's tables.

Also, please note, what you want to two would require two licenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cary
      Provided that you have two MySQL databases you can use, this would be possible. If you only have one database, you would have to wait until vB3 is released for the option to add prefixes to your database's tables.

Oh it would require two licenses? I didn't know that.. When is the vB3 going to be released? Will it be soon or in awhile?

Comment

At the current time there isn't a set release date for vB3. However, I believe our developers are shooting for a public beta in the first quarter of 2003. That's not definate, though.

Comment

At the current time there isn't a set release date for vB3. However, I believe our developers are shooting for a public beta in the first quarter of 2003. That's not definate, though.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

You could modify vB 2x to use prefixes, it wouldnt take more then a few minutes :P

Comment

Originally posted by Blink|vB
              You could modify vB 2x to use prefixes, it wouldnt take more then a few minutes :P
              This would still require two licenses.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                This would still require two licenses.
                Yeah, but would it if you made them both use the same files, and you moded the index.php file to load the forum you called from it (like index.php?action=forum1) and that told it what db prefix to use?

So I would have 1 set of vB files, and 1 db with two copys of the tables in it

I am interested in doing this, but am waiting for wBB 2.1 and vB 3.0 to see what to buy :P

Comment

Originally posted by Blink|vB
                  So I would have 1 set of vB files, and 1 db with two copys of the tables in it
                  You can do that but this requires two licenses.
                  Last edited by Steve Machol; Mon 20 Jan '03, 11:31am.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    That would be okay.
                    So you mean to tell me that someone could hack vB to run an infinite number of boards off of it and that would be okay? Gah...
                    A vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of vBulletin on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of vBulletin on one domain. For each installed instance of the program, a separate license is required.
                    Does that not keep someone, from say, hacking vBulletin code to use seperate DB prefixes to run seperate boards off the same files? Hence they could not use the same files and literally give away free locally hosted vBs that use the same files? I can't see how that would be "okay" or legal for that matter.
                    Last edited by Matthew Gordon; Mon 20 Jan '03, 9:51am.

Comment

2 forum on same server require 2 licence !

i think with this rule jelsoft is bastard !!!

like a vb licence cost 160 dollars and that not enough to use it twice on our server, damn, ive buy vb but i say it : i hate jelsoft compagny, i think they are big stealer !!!!

but vb forum system is so great...

i hope invision board or phpbb will be so cool as vb and for free...

I think people that have to be supported is phpbb and invision developper not vb guys, vb guys just do their job like anybody else and receive money !

phpbb and invision provide an exellent and free forum, not for money just for pleasure to code their own stuf !

sorry for my english, dont ban me from forum cose i give my opinion, ive buy vb so it will be boring rolf

Comment

Originally posted by jah
                        2 forum on same server require 2 licence !

i think with this rule jelsoft is bastard !!!

like a vb licence cost 160 dollars and that not enough to use it twice on our server, damn, ive buy vb but i say it : i hate jelsoft compagny, i think they are big stealer !!!!

but vb forum system is so great...

i hope invision board or phpbb will be so cool as vb and for free...

I think people that have to be supported is phpbb and invision developper not vb guys, vb guys just do their job like anybody else and receive money !

phpbb and invision provide an exellent and free forum, not for money just for pleasure to code their own stuf !

sorry for my english, dont ban me from forum cose i give my opinion, ive buy vb so it will be boring rolf
                        Here, listen, shut up.

You think $160 is a lot of money? Look at Infopop's prices, and they don't come close to being as good as vB.

Look at some prices for other BB software. How many good ones are this cheap?

Think for a second. vB kills every free board out there. The only way you CAN be as good as vB is to charge money. A lot of them go overboard and charge $500 or more for a single license.

It's like Paint Shop Pro and the like. You can get free ones to do something almost as good as it, but without paying, it won't get any better.

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
                          Here, listen, shut up.

You think $160 is a lot of money? Look at Infopop's prices, and they don't come close to being as good as vB.

Look at some prices for other BB software. How many good ones are this cheap?

Think for a second. vB kills every free board out there. The only way you CAN be as good as vB is to charge money. A lot of them go overboard and charge $500 or more for a single license.

It's like Paint Shop Pro and the like. You can get free ones to do something almost as good as it, but without paying, it won't get any better.
                          damn, paint shop you get it with kazza for free k !! rolf

and yes 160 dollars is really o lots of money man, perhaps you are realy rich, not not everybody are rich in this world !!

yes sure vb kill invision or phpbb, but its free.....

i say at beginning that rules when u buy a licence are realy **** with a price like 160 dollars, that what i was saying, if you have a site that have 2 language !

so you make 2 forum 1 french and 1 us ! but with vb **** rules that not possible u see what i mean ?????

Comment

Originally posted by jah
                            damn, paint shop you get it with kazza for free k !! rolf

and yes 160 dollars is really o lots of money man, perhaps you are realy rich, not not everybody are rich in this world !!

yes sure vb kill invision or phpbb, but its free.....

i say at beginning that rules when u buy a licence are realy **** with a price like 160 dollars, that what i was saying, if you have a site that have 2 language !

so you make 2 forum 1 french and 1 us ! but with vb **** rules that not possible u see what i mean ?????
                            $160 is expensive for personal use, I agree, but businesses should have no problem.

Yes, you can get PSP for free off Kazaa, but I'll laugh if you are caught with it. Hell, the same goes with vB for that matter.

On top of that, languages can be solved by having different forums/categories and different styles, or with vB3, the language packs are built in.

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716
                              So you mean to tell me that someone could hack vB to run an infinite number of boards off of it and that would be okay? Gah...
                              No it wouldn't. I revise my initial answer.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X