Profile Setup Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brad.loo
    Check out vBulletin.org for all your vB hacking needs. If nothing exist to do it there is bound to be something that you can modify for the job.
    I'm not sure, but I think I remember a hack that allowed users to post a custom picture in their profile.

That can be easily modified to be a MP3 instead.
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel
      I'm not sure, but I think I remember a hack that allowed users to post a custom picture in their profile.

That can be easily modified to be a MP3 instead.

I need to have 20 gigs or more of attachments, does anyone forsee this as a possible problem with the functionality of this board?

thanks in advance.
      -taylor

Comment

Originally posted by jahwise2002
        I need to have 20 gigs or more of attachments, does anyone forsee this as a possible problem with the functionality of this board?

thanks in advance.
        -taylor
        Yes, this could be a problem depending on the server. It would also make it very difficult to backup and restore the database. If you do this, I'd suggest you use the 'attachments as files' hack available at vbulletin.org - or wait for vB 3.0 which will have this function built-in.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
          Yes, this could be a problem depending on the server. It would also make it very difficult to backup and restore the database. If you do this, I'd suggest you use the 'attachments as files' hack available at vbulletin.org - or wait for vB 3.0 which will have this function built-in.
          That is what is PARAMOUNT that i figure out before going down this road...I have my own 1U server with excellent bandwidth pricing from www.streamguys.com so that is not an issue

what is involved in backing up and restoring the board?

Please can you help me to figure out which option is better?

to have a web deigner build me a message system like this, or vbullentin?

I need 20 gigs of attachments, and i dont understand about the attahcments as files, can you explain?

thanks,
          -taylor

Comment

Currrently attachments are added to the database. This of course increases the size and complexity of the database.

The 'attachments as files' hack takes all attachments out of the database and places them in a directory on your server. vB3 will allow you to do the same thing without hacking. This means that your database will not be bloated by the attachments and it will be much easier to back it up and then restore it if necessaery.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I thought there is a terms where by you can't use the board for warez or adult site?
              Site Administrator :: LifeStyleX Community

Comment

Originally posted by tommyng
                I thought there is a terms where by you can't use the board for warez or adult site?
                That's correct. However there are legal MP3 files. Nonetheless if a vBulletin forum is engaged in copyright violations, then it can have their license revoked without refund.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

bidding system

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                  That's correct. However there are legal MP3 files. Nonetheless if a vBulletin forum is engaged in copyright violations, then it can have their license revoked without refund.
                  Hey Steve,

Is there any VB hack that you know of that will allow a bidding/posting hack like similar to www.elance.com?

thanks,

-taylor

Comment

Nope I don't. I'm not much of a hack guy. You need to ask over at vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Working...
                    X