Single License with several URL's via "Frame Redirect"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single License with several URL's via "Frame Redirect"

I have seen people mention, on vBulletin forums, that you are only permitted one URL per license.

It was my understanding that with one license the restriction is only that you can only have one install.However, I would assume that if you only had one install, and you had many totally different domains which all get redirected to that one url (which is the one and only single place where it is installed) then you could have as many url’s as you wanted for many different domain names, as long as they all redirected to the same single install.

For example:If you had installed vBulletin at:http://www. greatapples.org/forumThis was the actual one and only install.Then you went ahead and also purchased several more domains such as:http://www.supergreatapples.orgYou could then do a FRAME REDIRECT for the supergreatapples.org to the same install with just one license.

Using a “frame redirect”, the end user would think and feel that he is at a different web site (than the actual install), it would show an entirely different url, (not showing the actual URL where it is really installed) and it would be perfectly legal, as long as in actuality it was just one single forum, accessible via several, totally different url’s.
    Last edited by greenwood; Mon 13 Jan '03, 9:34am.

That's right, you only need one license for one install. i.e. one set of files and one database. However I'd be willing to bet you'd have a lot of cookie problems with the setup you propose.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That's right, you only need one license for one install. i.e. one set of files and one database. However I'd be willing to bet you'd have a lot of cookie problems with the setup you propose.
      Why should there be ANY cookie problems as long as the vB is always really coming from one place?

This is very important to me because I am considering purchasing vB for exactly this type of application and I need to make sure that it will work out for me without any problems (otherwise there may not be any point in purchasing).

Many people own several domains and they actually have only one real web site.The reason most people have different domains (for one site) is so that people can access their (same) web site using whatever similar sounding name, may be most comfortable for the end user.

For example most people who want to protect their domain will at least purchase the.com .net and .org and some users may come in via .com and others may come in via .org (especially if it really is an organization who is using .com because it is more common and easier for people to remember).

Another common reason could be for people who are setting up a new domain site and they own many similar names and they want to leave it up to the users, to see which domain name will become most popular and favored by their users

Anyway, if this setup could be problematic, what would you suggest, is the best way to solve it?

Comment

The problem is that you can only set up vBulletin wth one forum URL in the Admin CP. This means that even though people can be redirected from one domain to another, once at your forums all links will revert to the default domain.

As for specific questrions regarding cookies, I'm not much of a cookie guru so I can't really answer this. Perhaps someone else can give you a better answer.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

The problem is that you can only set up vBulletin wth one forum URL in the Admin CP. This means that even though people can be redirected from one domain to another, once at your forums all links will revert to the default domain.

As for specific questrions regarding cookies, I'm not much of a cookie guru so I can't really answer this. Perhaps someone else can give you a better answer.
          Please give a few examples of what may be the "worst", of what may result because of "cookie problems"

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by 'worst'. If people have cookie problem they will have trouble logging in and staying logged in to your forum.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by 'worst'. If people have cookie problem they will have trouble logging in and staying logged in to your forum.
              Would this problem be only if the same individual switched the domain name from where he entered, or even if each indivdual users uses his same favorite domain?

Comment

As I said I'm not a cookie guru. I believe that that anyone who accesses your forum from one of the 'redirected' domains runs the possibility of having cookie problems. Those you access it via the domain you set up in the Admin CP should not have problems.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

To keep it really simple:

If I use a totally new domain name, dedicated only to vBulletin:

Would there be any problem if it .com, net and .org of the same domain accessing the same vBulletin?

Comment

This is still the same situation as earlier. It doesn't really matter if the first part of the domain names are the same, they are all still separate domains and cookies can only work on one domain.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

I would try this if I was you:

Point all URL's to one directory
                      throw a index.html in there with a meta refresh of 0s and that loads the true url of the forum.

Then the normal forum gets loaded and the cookie for that domain is set, users wont have any problems then.

unlmited urls, 1 dir, 1 file, 1 cookie.

Your drawback is the losing of the url in the location from the frames.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X