Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, here is what I found out. IT'S EASY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, here is what I found out. IT'S EASY.

Hello friends!

First of all I want to thank you all for the help and suggestions made...
    really, thanks!

I have my community up at http://www.hpscleansing.com/group

All is well.

A few comments from my personal experience that might help somone new who is considering purchasing vb.

1) It's great, i love it... quick, easy and feature rich.

2) there are a few points where vb could do a better job in the setup explanations:

for example.

1) It says you should go to config.php and edit it... but in fact, when you unpack vb there is no config.php file... there is only a config.php.new file
    once you click on that and edit it, it changes to config.php SO take note new users, if you are computer illiterate like me, you might get lost right out from the gate.

2) the second most important thing which your installation package doesn't tell you is the VERY FIRST THING, to do, before editing your config file is to SET UP YOUR DATABASE, either on your webhosting servers or on your own server... if you don't have your database setup, you can't put the info into the config file... makes sense, doesn't it... but again for an illiterate computer or forum user, one gets lost... i spent precious time and a lot of energy (about two days and about 19 hours) getting lost and getting errors, until i finally figured out that i have to first setup the database, and then config the file.

Someone here ( i don't see names on your posts, so i can't right now remember your name, i think it was Don) in this group sent me the instructions with a demo sample to walk me through the database setup(please send that to vb so they can learn how to instruct a new user right out of the gate and include it in their manual setup instructions,,, your sample instructions and walk through was marvelous, thanks again), and i followed it and within minutes everything was running... if vb had done the same with the installation instructions... i would have saved tens of hours and been even happier than i presently am. well that's life. i hope this insight helps you the new vb user.

beyond that, it was easy and all is working well, and we are benefiting from thesoftware, so THANK YOU VB for creating this and allowing thousands of people to benefit from your creation, from your positive energy. Thanks again.

ONE QUESTION... at my community there isn't the layout I am seeing here at this page at the vb community.

i don't have a box at the top of the page with all posts in this thread and the + and - folders like here at vb community... is that because of the version i am using or is it because of my setup settings? I have spent the last few hours looking to fix it in my settings and can't seem to find the place... at my group, all the posts to a thread show up one after another on the page, say one thread, and three reply posts one after the other, yet here i see them at the top of the page, with the + and - folders for quick viewing... i would like mine to be like that too... saves readers a lot of time.

please advise.

thanks again everyone who shared with me!!!

love and light, jos-hua
    www.hpscleansing.com/group

Originally posted by hpsonline
    Hello friends!

First of all I want to thank you all for the help and suggestions made...
    really, thanks!

I have my community up at http://www.hpscleansing.com/group

All is well.

A few comments from my personal experience that might help somone new who is considering purchasing vb.

Hi there hpsonline, nice to see you
    I have been helping you a little through e-mail and I it is great seeing you here.

1) It's great, i love it... quick, easy and feature rich.

Yeah, vBulletin is quick, easy, feature rich and simple to install. THOUGH a bit confusion to those who install it for the first time, getting started and understand what does what and what doesn't do what you want, takes up some time. Trying out before opening your site is wise to do.

2) there are a few points where vb could do a better job in the setup explanations:

for example.

1) It says you should go to config.php and edit it... but in fact, when you unpack vb there is no config.php file... there is only a config.php.new file
    once you click on that and edit it, it changes to config.php SO take note new users, if you are computer illiterate like me, you might get lost right out from the gate.

The config.php.new file helps you not accidently overwrite the real config.php file when you are upgrading. It is confusing, but it is fairly simple to detect and rename.

2) the second most important thing which your installation package doesn't tell you is the VERY FIRST THING, to do, before editing your config file is to SET UP YOUR DATABASE, either on your webhosting servers or on your own server... if you don't have your database setup, you can't put the info into the config file... makes sense, doesn't it... but again for an illiterate computer or forum user, one gets lost... i spent precious time and a lot of energy (about two days and about 19 hours) getting lost and getting errors, until i finally figured out that i have to first setup the database, and then config the file.

The requirements for vBulletin are mentioned prior to purchase, it says that you should have MySQL database. It is therefor kind of logical to know which details are required in order to get through the first step of the setup - where you input your database details. At hostrocket, you first have to setup one database, one user, and then assign that user to that database. Which is fairly simple to do. Even for beginners. Glad to see you have been able to manage it, such a shame that it took so long :/

Someone here ( i don't see names on your posts, so i can't right now remember your name, i think it was Don) in this group sent me the instructions with a demo sample to walk me through the database setup(please send that to vb so they can learn how to instruct a new user right out of the gate and include it in their manual setup instructions,,, your sample instructions and walk through was marvelous, thanks again), and i followed it and within minutes everything was running... if vb had done the same with the installation instructions... i would have saved tens of hours and been even happier than i presently am. well that's life. i hope this insight helps you the new vb user.

Setup may differ per hosting, so instructions can be confusion. Rather then having to alter many files, only one file change is required and the rest are click on the next button moments. Fairly simple.

beyond that, it was easy and all is working well, and we are benefiting from thesoftware, so THANK YOU VB for creating this and allowing thousands of people to benefit from your creation, from your positive energy. Thanks again.

I remember you getting confused with setting up categories and forums and subforums for the first time. Some instruction on this for first installers would be nice.

ONE QUESTION... at my community there isn't the layout I am seeing here at this page at the vb community.

i don't have a box at the top of the page with all posts in this thread and the + and - folders like here at vb community... is that because of the version i am using or is it because of my setup settings? I have spent the last few hours looking to fix it in my settings and can't seem to find the place... at my group, all the posts to a thread show up one after another on the page, say one thread, and three reply posts one after the other, yet here i see them at the top of the page, with the + and - folders for quick viewing... i would like mine to be like that too... saves readers a lot of time.

please advise.

thanks again everyone who shared with me!!!

love and light, jos-hua
    http://www.hpscleansing.com/group
    That layout is called threaded view and is a new feature introduced in vbulletin version 3.x and unfortn. not a feature in 2.x which you are running. You have to upgrade this year to version 3 in order to use it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X