This topic has to be moved, but it's important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This topic has to be moved, but it's important

Hi since this is the only place I can really post without owning vbulletin, i decided to post this here.. this is about that guy that reccomended the random numbers on reg at the vb3 suggestions.

He is completely correct, look what just happened.. I'm sure this was done with AutoIT, which is a program language that you can make a program that will simulate a mouse click at the coordinates you tell it to etc. And the only way to get past this would be to put in an image that has a random code, as long as the code is not copy and pasteable, then autoit will not be able to do this. Even if a minority of users can use it because of lack of GD // imagemagik, those with big forums usually run dedicated servers anyway and can install it themselves. If not I doubt a host would have a problem installing it.. I did it for ppl who bought hosting through me.

All of those random names were from a reg spam bot, so as you can see this isn't a little problem as was stated..
    1. The file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size for this filetype is 102400 bytes. Your file is 192780 bytes.
    here is a url instead:

http://daocwin.fasthost.tv/flood.jpg
    *SITE COMING SOON*
    Saving for a license so I make a site:)

#1 contributor for vbulletin team: http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...mp;TeamID=1290

Originally posted by Knyteguy
    Hi since this is the only place I can really post without owning vbulletin, i decided to post this here.. this is about that guy that reccomended the random numbers on reg at the vb3 suggestions.

He is completely correct, look what just happened.. I'm sure this was done with AutoIT, which is a program language that you can make a program that will simulate a mouse click at the coordinates you tell it to etc. And the only way to get past this would be to put in an image that has a random code, as long as the code is not copy and pasteable, then autoit will not be able to do this. Even if a minority of users can use it because of lack of GD // imagemagik, those with big forums usually run dedicated servers anyway and can install it themselves. If not I doubt a host would have a problem installing it.. I did it for ppl who bought hosting through me.

All of those random names were from a reg spam bot, so as you can see this isn't a little problem as was stated..
    1. The file that you have tried to attach is too big. The maximum size for this filetype is 102400 bytes. Your file is 192780 bytes.
    here is a url instead:

http://daocwin.fasthost.tv/flood.jpg
    the problem with this is that people will find a way to get around. I remember reading somewhere that when companies like Yahoo did something like that, they did this.

When it came to a prompt, it would prompt a user (child or whoever) and then the child would mimic whatever he sees on the screen.

After that the program continues on its way through the registration and starts spamming people like crazy
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
      the problem with this is that people will find a way to get around. I remember reading somewhere that when companies like Yahoo did something like that, they did this.

When it came to a prompt, it would prompt a user (child or whoever) and then the child would mimic whatever he sees on the screen.

After that the program continues on its way through the registration and starts spamming people like crazy
      It still gets rid of part of the problem... most people that are that intelligent to create something so advanced, I doubt would spend time actually making it Autoit seems like the program alot of people would be using, due to the ease of programming with it.

Anything helps, it's like game companies not shipping with cd-keys. There are always cd-key gens for games and such, but it stops a few people who won't bother looking for this cd-key and go spend money instead.
      *SITE COMING SOON*

#1 contributor for vbulletin team: http://project-dolphin.net/cgi-bin/b...mp;TeamID=1290

Comment

It still gets rid of part of the problem... most people that are that intelligent to create something so advanced, I doubt would spend time actually making it Autoit seems like the program alot of people would be using, due to the ease of programming with it.

Anything helps, it's like game companies not shipping with cd-keys. There are always cd-key gens for games and such, but it stops a few people who won't bother looking for this cd-key and go spend money instead.
        whatever can be programmed by humans of one company can be reprogrammed by humans of another company.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

^_^ why doesn't someone just make it pick from like 100 images or something that rotates randomly with a php script? I'm sure this is possible
          *SITE COMING SOON*

Comment

^_^ why doesn't someone just make it pick from like 100 images or something that rotates randomly with a php script? I'm sure this is possible
            You'll still run into the problem. People have made pretty advance programs that just prompts them to enter those characters. I know i read this article somewhere but I can't remember where...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X