Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions.

Greetings,
    I am a member of a few VBulliten communities and I like the way that it works. Especially in that it seems to be run through the server you choose rather than having to rely on a different server run by the creaters company that might or might not go down without you knowing it. Anyway, I am a senior R.A. at my college and plan on applying for a resident manager position after graduation at my college this May. One of the things I want to do before applying is set up a few things for them so that I could use that on my resume when applying. The main thing is set them up a message board. I believe that this would be perfect for inter-office communication, freeing up "office time" for administraters, dining services feedback, public announcments, the list goes on and on but what might look best on the money request form I would need to turn in before purchasing is that it could save the college a lot more money that what the purchase price would be.
    So, now that my preamble is over, I need to ask a few questions.
    1. Is it possible to set it up so that all members will be deleted after a set ammount of time? Like... oh say, 5 years from registering. If so, how hard would it be to do so? This would prevent the list of members from growing too much after people graduate.
    2. Would it be possible to have the administraters and moderaters free from the auto-delete?
    3. Is it possible to change administraters? I ask this because it would be the institution purchasing and the people working for the college can change. I understand that this could be a moot point as we could simply have a few accounts set up to act as administraters and name them as such and just pass these generic accounts to whoever is in charge at the time.

I am sure that I might come back with more questions later, these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Thank you for your time and patience in reading this.

Originally posted by EVIL INC
    Greetings,
    I am a member of a few VBulliten communities and I like the way that it works. Especially in that it seems to be run through the server you choose rather than having to rely on a different server run by the creaters company that might or might not go down without you knowing it. Anyway, I am a senior R.A. at my college and plan on applying for a resident manager position after graduation at my college this May. One of the things I want to do before applying is set up a few things for them so that I could use that on my resume when applying. The main thing is set them up a message board. I believe that this would be perfect for inter-office communication, freeing up "office time" for administraters, dining services feedback, public announcments, the list goes on and on but what might look best on the money request form I would need to turn in before purchasing is that it could save the college a lot more money that what the purchase price would be.
    So, now that my preamble is over, I need to ask a few questions.
    1. Is it possible to set it up so that all members will be deleted after a set ammount of time? Like... oh say, 5 years from registering. If so, how hard would it be to do so? This would prevent the list of members from growing too much after people graduate.
    2. Would it be possible to have the administraters and moderaters free from the auto-delete?
    3. Is it possible to change administraters? I ask this because it would be the institution purchasing and the people working for the college can change. I understand that this could be a moot point as we could simply have a few accounts set up to act as administraters and name them as such and just pass these generic accounts to whoever is in charge at the time.

I am sure that I might come back with more questions later, these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Thank you for your time and patience in reading this.
    First of all, I think vBulletin is an excellent choice.

As long as the server has a web server (Apache i.e.) and PHP and 1 MySQL database, then vBulletin will probably run.

Your first question; I am not sure if it is possible like you want it to be, auto deletion isn't a curernt option in vBulletin - but any administrator can prune members through the back-end. (see screenshot). Maybe in future versions of vBulletin (3.x?) you can use the vCron to add this task. (wild guess here) But the alternative isn't complicated and only takes someone to do it.

The second question; You could set up user groups (i.e. year 1997) etc and add the students etc to that usergroup. After 5 years, an administrator can delete the usergroup and no administrator or moderators are harmed, since they are in their own usergroup. So yeah, it is possible to excempt them.

Your last question; anybody who registers can be set to any usergroup you make. You can set Administrators / Super Moderators / Moderators and then registered members and all your custom usergroups with their own permissions. Any user can be changed to any usergroup. (Just pick your administrators with care, since they have 99% control over the forum).
    Last edited by Floris; Thu 2 Jan '03, 6:40am.

Comment

Thank you.
      Thats close enough to what I would need to do.
      As a matter of fact, since it would take a little effort (but not an ungodly ammount of it) I could offer to keep track of it and run it for them. This could possibly make me a little harder to replace and thus more likely to be hired.
      All I need to do now, is finish typing up the proposal to buy it and turn it in. Hopefully soon after, our school will be making the purchase.

Comment

Thank you.
        Thats close enough to what I would need to do.
        As a matter of fact, since it would take a little effort (but not an ungodly ammount of it) I could offer to keep track of it and run it for them. This could possibly make me a little harder to replace and thus more likely to be hired.
        All I need to do now, is finish typing up the proposal to buy it and turn it in. Hopefully soon after, our school will be making the purchase.
        A good idea for them to hire you is:
        1- Update the forum software with bug fixes and upgrades and new versions to improve functionallity and performance.
        2- Update and manage the members to prune inactive members and outdated posts (or archive them)
        3- Customize and tweak the look and feel of the forum to their personal needs during the years.

This way they could hire you on a freelance basis once or twice a year for a certain amount of time to keep things going.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
          A good idea for them to hire you is:
          1- Update the forum software with bug fixes and upgrades and new versions to improve functionallity and performance.
          2- Update and manage the members to prune inactive members and outdated posts (or archive them)
          3- Customize and tweak the look and feel of the forum to their personal needs during the years.

This way they could hire you on a freelance basis once or twice a year for a certain amount of time to keep things going.

I'm looking to stay on as a resident manager and this would just be an extra add on that I could do on the side for them.
          Anyway, here is another question...
          I've seen that it is possible to assign mods to specific sections of the forums so that they would only have "special powers" in their assigned forum. When a post is "reported", do ALL mods get the PM or just the mods for the specific forum the post is in.

Comment

I'm looking to stay on as a resident manager and this would just be an extra add on that I could do on the side for them.
            Anyway, here is another question...
            I've seen that it is possible to assign mods to specific sections of the forums so that they would only have "special powers" in their assigned forum. When a post is "reported", do ALL mods get the PM or just the mods for the specific forum the post is in.
            A moderator is only assigned per forum indeed. Super moderators are moderators of all forums. Each user can be set with specific permissions, or you can set some global moderator permissions.

Comment

Originally posted by xiphoid
              A moderator is only assigned per forum indeed. Super moderators are moderators of all forums. Each user can be set with specific permissions, or you can set some global moderator permissions.
              I'm sorry, I think I need to explain my last question more fully.
              What I am planning to do is set up a forum that will cover a variety of different aspects of campus life. There will be a single forum with different sections within it. There will be a dining services section and a program board section, an admissions section, residence life section, computer section and possibly more.
              Now, if we have a troublesome poster making posts within the residence life section and their posts need to be reported, I dont want mods from other sections getting the report PM since they would not have the power to fix the problem within a section that is not theirs and since it is not their section, might not even care to be bothered with hearing about it. What I'm asking is if a post is reported will ALL the mods of that forum get the message or just the ones who are assigned that particuler section of the forum?

Comment

I'm sorry, I think I need to explain my last question more fully.
                What I am planning to do is set up a forum that will cover a variety of different aspects of campus life. There will be a single forum with different sections within it. There will be a dining services section and a program board section, an admissions section, residence life section, computer section and possibly more.
                Now, if we have a troublesome poster making posts within the residence life section and their posts need to be reported, I dont want mods from other sections getting the report PM since they would not have the power to fix the problem within a section that is not theirs and since it is not their section, might not even care to be bothered with hearing about it. What I'm asking is if a post is reported will ALL the mods of that forum get the message or just the ones who are assigned that particuler section of the forum?
                Am I right in thinking that you are talking about subforums?
                If so then you just need to assign moderators to the subforums and they will be the ones to get the messages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X