Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some beginner questions

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting vbulletin but there are a few things I'd like to know first.

If I want/need to change hosts, will I have to pay all over again for ownership of the board or/and installation of it, because I don't know enough about programming to install the board myself. And will I lose everything on the existing board?

Is it possible to give members unique user titles (not based on the number of posts they've made)? I mean the titles that go under the username on every post they make, not sure if 'title' is the right word for it or not.

Is there a limit to the number of smilies I can add?

Also, if I want to update to the latest edition of vbulletin, will I have to pay for it to be installed all over again?

Basic questions I know, but I'm new to this and appreciate any help I can get. Cheers.
    Last edited by Jolly Oli; Mon 23rd Dec '02, 7:07am.

1. Yes, you can move your forums to a new server without purchasing a new license and without losing your existing data. However we do not provide 'moving' services. The instructions for moving hosts is here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/movingservers.html

2. Yes, you can give unique titles or even allow your members to use custom titles of their choosing.

3. There's no limit on smilies.

4. If you do not want to upgrade yourself, you can purchase our professional upgrade service for $135.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks very much!

Comment

vBulletin is VERY, VERY easy to install, I am sure you could do it your self :P I dont mind helping people for free if they need it either :P

Moving servers is pretty easy, but it takes awhile after your database gets over 10mb or so, because it takes a while to upload and do things with

Upgrading should be just as easy as installing it, but if you install a lot of mods to the board, you will have to redo most of those

Comment

Cheers for the offer, appreciate it.

Is it really that easy? I know nothing about programming. $130 is a lot to me but I'm just tempted to take the easy way out.

Comment

I had never installed a board when I got my vb. It was December 28 last year just after I crashed my 3'rd free board lol.

Too bad they dont offer the vBulletin lite anymore. Before I bought my license I downloaded the vblite and installed it (just to see if I could) it was easy and once I had it installed I rushed to the main page and bought my license. If it wasnt for the vblite I probably would never have become a licensed owner.

I say if you decide to go for it, give it a try installing it yourself, there is good documentation, and very helpful members here to help if you do have any problems. Once you have done it once it becomes very easy next time and you will also have the ability to work through any problems you may encounter at a later time much more easily.

I have gotten to a point where I can install a vb in about 10 minutes now lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Oli
              Cheers for the offer, appreciate it.

Is it really that easy? I know nothing about programming. $130 is a lot to me but I'm just tempted to take the easy way out.
              Yes, you should try it by yourself, and if you cannot do it then buy a professional install. You can buy an install seperate from te license.
              - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

Yeah, that is a good idea

Installing it doesnt require any programming, not even most mods do, so you should be fine

Comment

To install it, simply upload the files to the appropriate directories, create a database (or it may already be craeted for you from your web host), and run the install script. All you have to do is click "Next step" and it does everything for you!

Comment

Once again thanks for the help all. It sounds worth it to try it by myself, especially since I'd save money on the updates as well. I wouldn't know where to start though, like uploading the files to the server. I don't even know how to do that. Do I need an FTP client for that? See how stupid I am?

Comment

Once again thanks for the help all. It sounds worth it to try it by myself, especially since I'd save money on the updates as well. I wouldn't know where to start though, like uploading the files to the server. I don't even know how to do that. Do I need an FTP client for that? See how stupid I am?
                      Yes, you will need an FTP client such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP. Your host should provide login information that you set in your FTP program. You then connect to your web site with the FTP program. Then you will be able to upload files to your web sites by simply dragging and dropping the files.
                      http://www.statgfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                        Yes, you will need an FTP client such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP. Your host should provide login information that you set in your FTP program. You then connect to your web site with the FTP program. Then you will be able to upload files to your web sites by simply dragging and dropping the files.
                        Is that something I'll have to pay for? There's been a few hidden charges I hadn't expected.

Comment

Is that something I'll have to pay for? There's been a few hidden charges I hadn't expected.
                          You do not need to pay for an FTP client. There are free ones available. WS_FTP_LE is an example of a free FTP client I have used before. You can also look around for other free clients as well.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomguy01
                            You do not need to pay for an FTP client. There are free ones available. WS_FTP_LE is an example of a free FTP client I have used before. You can also look around for other free clients as well.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Thank you.
                              Your welcome. Good luck.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X