Moving to vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to vBulletin

Hello. I have a forum with about 200 users and several thousand posts. It is currently run on a free message board code called Snitz forums ( http://forum.snitz.com/ ). I would like to upgrade to vBulletin. I was wondering if there is a way for me to do so and somehow save my member list and posts? ie - switch to a new server with MySQL (currently using Snitz on MS SQL) and install vBulletin, yet keep all the members already there and all the posts during the transfer. thank you

Originally posted by Dribbles
    Hello. I have a forum with about 200 users and several thousand posts. It is currently run on a free message board code called Snitz forums ( http://forum.snitz.com/ ). I would like to upgrade to vBulletin. I was wondering if there is a way for me to do so and somehow save my member list and posts? ie - switch to a new server with MySQL (currently using Snitz on MS SQL) and install vBulletin, yet keep all the members already there and all the posts during the transfer. thank you
    You will need to write a custom importer script or get someone else to do it if you wish to save your posts and members.

Comment

Originally posted by Codename49
      You will need to write a custom importer script or get someone else to do it if you wish to save your posts and members.
      Thanks for the reply. Has anyone written such a script yet?

Comment

Not that I know of, maybe, but probably not, why would you rather use vBulletin than you own script?

Comment

Originally posted by Shift
          Not that I know of, maybe, but probably not, why would you rather use vBulletin than you own script?
          Well I would rather use vBulletin because Snitz is bare to the bones. I had to mod it for PM's, avatars, online/offline ... it is just too much work to do just to bring a forum up to what is a standard feature list now days. I had enough and decided to get with vBulletin.

Comment

Originally posted by Shift
            It's not his own script. It's one of the few (and basic) message boards in asp.

This also the reason why there are few converters for it - vb uses mysql, snitz uses mssql. But you an still fairly easy write up an importer.
            Last edited by okrogius; Sat 21st Dec '02, 5:47pm.

Comment

Would someone be able to help me out with the script? thnx

Comment

Would someone be able to help me out with the script? thnx
                The best place to ask this is over at the hacking site:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thnx, made the post there couple days ago, but it seems like no one knows (or is willing to help) ... guess I might have to end up losing my current member and post details in the move But it's worth it to upgrade to vB though.

Comment

Thnx, made the post there couple days ago, but it seems like no one knows (or is willing to help) ... guess I might have to end up losing my current member and post details in the move But it's worth it to upgrade to vB though.
                    Primarily no one would help you is because you aren't a vBulletin owner.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                      Hi, I had been a vBulletin owner for a couple days when I made that post ... (I entered my account # and password in that section of the forum, so I think it is attached to my name somehow because it lets me get attachments where before I couldn't)

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                        Now, now - let's not jump to conclusions. He's showing as Licensed.
                        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          Now, now - let's not jump to conclusions. He's showing as Licensed.
                          whoops.... :-S
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X