Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Comparisons

Two quick questions for the masses.

1. Can anyone discuss their experience with vbulletin as opposed to phpbb? As a user or as a host. I'm looking to implement a forum on my server and frankly, I don't really see an appreciable difference between to two. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. I've been told that phpbb is not a threaded forum, but there appears to be a logical order to reading their posts, and I see no real difference here. If phpbb is not threaded, what the heck is the difference exactly and why would I want to go that route?

Thanks, Mike

Originally posted by safelistsmart
    Two quick questions for the masses.

1. Can anyone discuss their experience with vbulletin as opposed to phpbb? As a user or as a host. I'm looking to implement a forum on my server and frankly, I don't really see an appreciable difference between to two. Any comments would be appreciated.

2. I've been told that phpbb is not a threaded forum, but there appears to be a logical order to reading their posts, and I see no real difference here. If phpbb is not threaded, what the heck is the difference exactly and why would I want to go that route?

Thanks, Mike
    1. phpBB does not scale well and does not come with guaranteed support.
    2. phpBB is not threaded IIRC and at the moment neither is vB. vB3 will be fully multithreaded with options to still show a linear view. Threaded in this context means replies can be addressed to individual replies (a hierarchy) rather than replies to a single thread.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
      1. phpBB does not scale well and does not come with guaranteed support.
      2. phpBB is not threaded IIRC and at the moment neither is vB. vB3 will be fully multithreaded with options to still show a linear view. Threaded in this context means replies can be addressed to individual replies (a hierarchy) rather than replies to a single thread.
      1. vB has loads more options then PHPbb handles more users a lot better and themes can be made easiser without loads of files to upload :P

If you are like me and dont care about support, it is still there if you ever need it :P

Comment

I recommend you do a head to head comparison...

vBulletin Demo: (Real Working One I might Add)
        http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

phpBB demo: (simulated)
        http://www.phpbb.com/admin_demo/
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Well one thing you should notice right off the bat, is that vBulletin and PHPBB use two very different systems for styles. PHPBB uses an overly confusing file based version and vBulletin gives you a template editor and allows you to easily set the colors for your styles in the style editor, if you've got photoshop there's also a Graphics Developer's Kit in the members area, allowing you to redo the buttons for the board very easily.

Plus, if you've ever taken a look at PHPBB's source...yikes, I've been doing PHP stuff for close to a year now and that code is just scary.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X