Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Forced cookie" - how do I get rid of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Forced cookie" - how do I get rid of it?

I apologize for posting this on the chit chat board, but this is the only board I can post on for some reason.

Last night I posted at a new site that uses vBulletin, and for some reason they think I'm an old poster who was a troll. @@ They've somehow forced a cookie onto my system. I've cleared my cookies, deleted my temporary internet files, cleared my history, and still if I go to this site, I'm logged in there. After last night, needless to say, I don't trust these people, and it bothers me that they would have that sort of control over my computer. Does anyone know how I can log out of a site that seems to be forcing a cookie on me or something???

cozy, could you please add your email address to the list located at http://www.vbulletin.com/members/forums.php for Priority Member Support and to show you are a licensed member. This will give you access to the vB Support on these forums.

You'll need to have your customer number and password to access that page. Thanks!

Comment

It doesn't sound like he owns a vBulletin forum though

Comment

Originally posted by DWZ
        It doesn't sound like he owns a vBulletin forum though
        I didn't read the message very carefully

Anyways, if you can't log out clear your cookies manually.
        I'm just going to copy/paste Steve Machol's instructions:
        To do this in IE 6.0:

Tools -> Internet Options -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> View Files

Then search for the individual cookies for your domain and delete them all. The name should be in the form of:

Cookie:[email protected]
        and
        Cookie:[email protected]http://www.yoursite.com

...and any derivatives of the above. Then highlight the individual cookies and delete each one found. After this, close all browser windows and restart IE.

Comment

Originally posted by cozy
          I apologize for posting this on the chit chat board, but this is the only board I can post on for some reason.

Last night I posted at a new site that uses vBulletin, and for some reason they think I'm an old poster who was a troll. @@ They've somehow forced a cookie onto my system. I've cleared my cookies, deleted my temporary internet files, cleared my history, and still if I go to this site, I'm logged in there. After last night, needless to say, I don't trust these people, and it bothers me that they would have that sort of control over my computer. Does anyone know how I can log out of a site that seems to be forcing a cookie on me or something???
          They may be basing it on your IP address. If this is the case, you would need to contact the forum owner; unfortunately, if they are uncooperative, there's really nothing you can do.

Comment

Thanks everyone

I went into the temporary internet files per Cary's instructions, and was able to get rid of it that way. I had been clicking the "delete temporary internet files" button on the general tab, but it hadn't been doing any good.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X