Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vbulletin compared to phpbb, and remote avatars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vbulletin compared to phpbb, and remote avatars.

Hi guys, sorry to bother you, but I am strongly thinking about switching to vbull. People keep telling me better. I am currently using the latest phpbb. Will it convert? Also, any shining instances on how it is better?

Here's one of my main reasons, with phpbb, my server is behind a firewall. It will not restrict the remote avatar size. I've been told the "getimage()" string just won't work with php behind a firewall period. Is this true with vbull, seeing as its a php based forum as well?

Thanks in advance.

There are import scripts for vBulletin from phpBB.

This isn't true at all; these forums and any sensible server administrator has their server behind a firewall, and PHP image size checking functions work perfectly fine.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

vBulletin doesn't allow remote avatars. All avatars are uploaded to the system where they are checked for dimension and filesize before being accepted and stored in the database.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

There must be some add-ons that allow remote avatars then because I post on a board that allows them that is vbull. And it restricts remote avatars. Which is something that I have been unable to resolve with phpbb.

Comment

There are hacks to do it which aren't officially supported. I also know that vB3 supports attachments stored as flat files...not sure if it allows avatars as remote files though.

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1
            There are hacks to do it which aren't officially supported. I also know that vB3 supports attachments stored as flat files...not sure if it allows avatars as remote files though.
            Standard vBulletin doesn't support remote avatars. There may be hacks that do this but this is not the place to talk about third party software, that would be over at vBulletin.org.

vBulletin 3.0 also does not support remote avatars.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

He said "add-on", that's the closest thing I can't think of. I know you feel that I'm being confrontational when I say it can be done with a hack (I don't hack myself) but why turn away a conventional customer. I have absolutely no intentions to offend you.

Didn't know that about vB3

Comment

IMHO remote avatars suck
                if they are at a slow host or if people remove/rename their avatar then you gat a forum with plenty of red crosses
                but of course, this will lower your bandwith if you've got limits on it

Comment

There are 2 hacks at vB.org that allows you to host remote avatars, and 1 hack that allows you to upload avatars as files, not into the db.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X