First timer......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer......

My name is Tim. I am very new to this. I fly flight sims online and have seen vBulliten on both the www.bombs-away.net and www.http://www.hitechcreations.com/ubbframe.html So I have been around them for about 3 yrs. But I am looking to start building my own. I have quite a bit to ask and if you can deal with my "not knowing squat" questions, I would very much apprciate your help. I have been working on a forum at http://pub38.ezboard.com/b81stkrewsaderz which is up in about 8 days. But I am most certainly going to upgrade after that.
    I know nothing about PHP or web hosting. So I could use some help there. I have done a few free website designs IE homestead and AOL, but nothing heavy. How difficult is it to set up for vB and how often are there updates? I know that when our Bombs-away site was being updated it was down anywere from 1-3 days. Is this common? Im sorry for the dumb questions, but I am just curious. Thank you for the help.

Jag

Hi Jag

I'm having a bit of a hard time comprehending what you are saying, but I'll try my best.

First is that you need a host/server that supports MySQL and PHP. Usually when you sign up for hosting, it is best that you ask whether the server supports this. AOL, Geocities do not support this. Homestead, I'm not sure.

Installing vBulletin is a breeze because of an integrated install script. It sets up everything for you.

Updates are not as frequent currently because the vBulletin Team are putting together vBulletin 3 (http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3) however updates should pick up after the release of vBulletin 3.

Since you are using ezBoard, I'd recommend you not get too comfortable since it is a pain to transfer threads and posts into vBulletin

There are also people who specialize in hosting vBulletin boards. I think the forum vBulletin Hosting Options is what it is (not really sure on that)

Good Luck on your purchase

-J
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Actually that is perfect. Knowing that I need to look for a specific host is what I was pretty much getting at I will start looking this weekend for a host that supports MySQL and PHP. And knowing that there is little to set up is also great.
      Thank you for the help Josh. I may bring up more questions. But thank you for your help!!

Jag

Comment

To clarify about the upgrades, all new features will be in vB3. All future updates to vB 2.2.x are bug fixes only.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

So it would actually make more sense to wait until vB3 comes out to get the better version. I will have to take a look at the vB3 forum to see what kind of ETA it will be. Also have to check and see if the $$ changes due to more features. Thanks guys!!

Jag

Comment

Upgrading to 3 is free for license holders for vB2.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

If you purchase a license now, you should have access to vBulletin 3.0 when it is released. From what I remember, there was to be a beta out before the end of the year, so if that holds true then you should be fine and ready to roll with vB3 on your website.

- SaintDog

Comment

I just wondering... will all skins/templates have to be re done in vb3 when it is released?

Cos i am thinking of buying a vB unlimited license for a group of sites i plan to start, but will skin and change templates loads, and if it will have to be all redone again, i might just wait till vb3 is released.

Comment

The template system will be a complete overhaul in v3.

But it shouldn't be too hard to redo styles that were done in v2 into v3 -- if you know what you're doing.

There isn't a "unlimited license" available.

1 license = 1 instance of the board.

You'll have to buy a license for every board you want to put online.

Leased license = 1 board for 1 year, afterwards, you'll have to either buy another license (owned/leased) or take your board down.

Owned license = 1 board for 1 year, you can renew your member's area access for $30/year after your first year is up, but if you don't, you don't have to remove your board.

But there is no unlimited license.

Comment

urg yah... that the one i meant.... which does not run out... so i dont have to keep renewing each year... apart from members area

Comment

Originally posted by Locust99
                      urg yah... that the one i meant.... which does not run out... so i dont have to keep renewing each year... apart from members area
                      If you buy the Owned license ($160.00), there is no need to renew your license. You can run vBulletin for the rest of your life and have no worries about the license going bad. To get upgrades, you need to pay $30.00/year (completely optional) to access upgrades in the downloads portion of the members area.

If you buy the leased license ($85.00), you need to worry after a year has gone by because your license expires after a year.
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

If you buy the Owned license ($160.00), there is no need to renew your license. You can run vBulletin for the rest of your life and have no worries about the license going bad. To get upgrades, you need to pay $30.00/year (completely optional) to access upgrades in the downloads portion of the members area.
                        yah! that is the one... just waiting for my paypal account to be credited and i am going to get that one.

Comment

Thanks Fil and Saint. As long as I can still move up from 2 to 3 I will get it. Now then...were is that CC at?
                          Actually I may have to wait till the new yr. 3 kids will suck the funds out of your wallet LOL

Comment

yeha!

i just bought my vB license...

Comment

Originally posted by Locust99
                              yeha!

i just bought my vB license...
                              That's wonderful to hear Locust99! You won't have any regrets
                              Be sure to enter your username here for priority support plus to unlock a few goodies here like posting in forums that are strictly for vBulletin Owners

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X