Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best OS platform???

I am running XP Pro + IIS 5 + VB + MYSQL

but seems to be getting congested with only 15+ some active users.

I am getting "SERVER TOO BUSY" errors.

Is there a better tweak or should I switch OS (and what)?

Linux. A thousand times Linux.

I can hold 15 users with my AMD K-6 at 450 MHz and 180 MB RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by baragon0
      Linux. A thousand times Linux.

I can hold 15 users with my AMD K-6 at 450 MHz and 180 MB RAM.
      Agreed, I can hold 30+ users on a AMD 233MHz machine with 192 MB RAM.
      -Draco
      The Digital Sector Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Lorddraco98
        Agreed, I can hold 30+ users on a AMD 233MHz machine with 192 MB RAM.

I haven't gotten to the levels yet, but hopefully, I will be able to as well

Comment

If you want to keep using Windows (and don't want to dual-boot or use good ol' VMware) you can install Apache (see my sig) instead of IIS. IIS is notoriously full of security holes, too.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

i dont understand this.. you run the message board off your hard drive? huh??

Comment

You can...I run vB lite off my HDD along with some experimental PHP/MySQL projects. Much easier to save the file then refresh your browser than save it, upload, then refresh.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

at our hosting facilities we were running w2k server with IIS , but now we are running linux on the same hardware. There has been a big difference in performance, IIS was more memory hungry compared to Apache.

The reason you are getting Server Busy errors is because IIS on workstations is only designed to handle so much. compared to IIS on server's.

Though some people say IIS is buggy and has a lot of security problems, any software is only as stable as you keep it. Run out dated IIS with secrity bugs, then have high chances of getting hacked etc. Run IIS and keep it up to date then you have a less chance of being attacked etc.

When I worked for UUNet I worked on one department where we had to keep the servers up tp date, while one departments servers was getting attacked by code etc. We never had a problem because we kept our systems up to date. even if it meant applying fixes every day.

Comment

Read my SIG.
                  You're my Prince of Peace
                  And I will live my life for You

Comment

Originally posted by hypedave

Though some people say IIS is buggy and has a lot of security problems, any software is only as stable as you keep it. Run out dated IIS with secrity bugs, then have high chances of getting hacked etc. Run IIS and keep it up to date then you have a less chance of being attacked etc.
                    Same as Apache.

Oh, did anyone mention the drastic price difference between running W2K Server with IIS and RedHat Linux 7.3/8.0 with Apache?

Comment

Originally posted by baragon0
                      Oh, did anyone mention the drastic price difference between running W2K Server with IIS and RedHat Linux 7.3/8.0 with Apache?

Nope but we have saved alot of money since we switched over to linux.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X