No announcement yet.

vBulletin vs phpBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, for all the fun we can have comparing forum softwares, i would suggest this site:

http://www.forummatrix.org/

oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by ronoxQ View Post
      When I was looking for software, I tested on a broadband connection and a 56k modem, using both the default themes and the themes I was interested in using for testing comparisons. phpBB goes approx. 10% faster from my findings, 15% when I'm caching both sites.

It's proof that I got myself, which makes it the most accurate readings I can ever find.
      That's far from proof. It isn't reproducible and plus you introduce too many variables. Proof is needed to be in a controlled enviornment, where the same content is on the same forum, and the server hardware must be exactly the same. Server loads, server processes, as well as PHP and SQL versions must be the same (if not very very similar, like server processes) and the routing of data must be exactly the same.

The very fact these variables above can account for variances in speeds and load times. This in itself needs to be treated like a scientific experiment. A controlled enviornment must be established in order to conduct an accurate and to minimize any variables that will affect the results.

Routing of traffic, especially, can account for delays. During any given point in the day, data from the exact same server can be routed dozens of different days to your computer and they give you variable periods in load times.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

if you try to compare the serverload and the number of queries displayed when in debug modes, you will have false results with phpBB, as the counts are started AFTER the load of the primary system - that contain most of the requested data... and it stoped BEFORE the end of the output process... the only differ on vBulletin is that it loads after the datastore request... it is speedup when you store your data in cache!
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

When I was looking for software, I tested on a broadband connection and a 56k modem, using both the default themes and the themes I was interested in using for testing comparisons. phpBB goes approx. 10% faster from my findings, 15% when I'm caching both sites.

It's proof that I got myself, which makes it the most accurate readings I can ever find.
          Can't really understand how a badly coded html 3 site loads considerably slower than standardized xhtml 1.0 trans with CSS stored.

Comment

76.59% of all statistics are made up.

Someone should install both phpBB and vBulletin on their PC and see which one loads quicker because I'm not going to do it.

Comment

That's far from proof. It isn't reproducible and plus you introduce too many variables. Proof is needed to be in a controlled enviornment, where the same content is on the same forum, and the server hardware must be exactly the same. Server loads, server processes, as well as PHP and SQL versions must be the same (if not very very similar, like server processes) and the routing of data must be exactly the same.
              Doesn't change the fact that I found phpBB faster. I stated that that was what I found, and it was: just my own opinion.

phpBB's BIGGER advantage are that it's free, and that it has more available mods. I think I mentioned that, too. But in terms of speed, Vanilla outstrips all.
              Omega's Eye- A new way of gaming

Comment

Doesn't change the fact that I found phpBB faster. I stated that that was what I found, and it was: just my own opinion.

phpBB's BIGGER advantage are that it's free, and that it has more available mods. I think I mentioned that, too. But in terms of speed, Vanilla outstrips all.
                Yes indeed you may have found phpBB faster, however my point is your test is flawed
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                  Yes indeed you may have found phpBB faster, however my point is your test is flawed
                  Of course it's flawed. But it's still an applicable test, because it means that for SOME people, BB will work better.

And FYI, custom themes on phpBB tend to be MUCH smaller than themes for vBulletin. So there, at least, what I said makes sense.
                  Omega's Eye- A new way of gaming

Comment

Originally posted by OLD TONE View Post
                    That is a good question and I don't know the answer. I didn't even own a PC 10 years ago when I had the site designed. The site's designers and hosters have been brilliant over the years.

I do know that the Web Forum is an add-on to our main site.

Take a look and you will be able to tell me what software is used for our clunky old forum.

My site for PHC Horn Mouthpieces is at www.horncups.com

Cheers, OLD TONE
                    Looks like a modified version of wwwboard.

Comment

Flawed != Applicable. Ask anyone in the scientific community, and you will be told that can't use flawed data.

Comment

I am admin at a big-board site, we were on phpbb before we shifted over to vbulletin back in June 2005. The site is four times the size it was at that time but the good thing is that we still use half the bandwidth we used to use back then. Our bandwidth consumption would easily go as high as 200gb per month with phpbb now it hardly goes over 100 gb per month.

Comment

More mods != better;
                          More mods ~= less standard features;

Comment

Ok just a quick overview of why I would choose vB over phpBB

vB has a lot more features than phpBB. Next off, with vB your site is taken more seriously (imo!) becayuse you paid for it. vB has a lot more moderating options, and has a wysig editor (pretty much something that makes it really easy for users to post). I have signed up at phpBB sites and vB sites...my expeirence is better at vB sites.

Really though, all I can say is look at the demo yourself and try out phpBB. it isn't that hard

Comment

When we were going to switch from infopop/groupee I looked at phpBB but I found that all the features or ones similar to what I wanted were mods. vBulletin has most of the features I wanted and or the guys here have been helpful in the setting up of my board. Is it perfect ? No, but there is nothing perfect in this world.

In my opinion they are both good products but if cost is your concern then go with free but to me sometimes free isn't the best choice.

I choose vBulletin and I am really glad I did.

Most times we can make arguments for any product and everyone will have an opinion about it. Similar to the ole Ford vs Chevy truck statements. Is one wrong or right no. Just different.

All in all I think for me vBulletin was the best fit.

Thanks, btw great discussion.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by emerican View Post
                                Ok just a quick overview of why I would choose vB over phpBB

vB has a lot more features than phpBB. Next off, with vB your site is taken more seriously (imo!) becayuse you paid for it. vB has a lot more moderating options, and has a wysig editor (pretty much something that makes it really easy for users to post). I have signed up at phpBB sites and vB sites...my expeirence is better at vB sites.

Really though, all I can say is look at the demo yourself and try out phpBB. it isn't that hard
                                I highly doubt what board software you use has anything to do with how your site is perceived to the public. What matters is the content. Gaia Online is arguably the largest board in the world, and it uses phpBB at its core. People seem to take them seriously.
                                Forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X