No announcement yet.

vBulletin vs phpBB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, most i can give is my opinion. I used to run some ezboards and had looked into other message boards at times.

Then i joined a sort of "web team" and my friend came along with vb as a demo for the forums that the website will have. Straight away i knew it was something special and have never used other forums since

vb really is a great product, and i find it hard to pin point one thing i find especially good about it because i find the entire product really great

And if you are ever stuck, the support you can get on these forums is ace!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasC22
      Not to be a bug about it or anything, but no one has really answered my original question
      That is because there is no answer to your original question. It basically comes down to personal preference. Some people find that phpBB fits all their needs for a message board. Others find that vBulletin allows them to build the perfect community for their site.

You simply need to decide which one is best for you. We hope it is vBulletin. But we won't lie to you and say it is the perfect solution for you. For us to give an answer on that for you we would need some specifics like estimated traffic, topic, estimated posting levels and such. Evaluate each system and look at the larger sites using each software and see which fits your needs and projected growth.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thomas,

We rather not go insulting phpBB because first it would make us look like immature people.

Though they may or may not insult vBulletin, that's their decision. We'd prefer to have people make their own decisions.

I highly recommend you get a feel for vBulletin. There is a full interactive demo at http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo for you to play around with.
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by NathanBales
          If Jelsoft dies. vBulletin dies. Even if there is still demand for the product.
          If Microsoft dies. Windows dies. Will you use Linux because of that reason ?

VBB is great and I think it'll never DIE

Comment

I dont have VB on my site I use Phpbb 2.0.3 I think its very nice...and of course there isnt anything better than being free.

However.....

I am a member on a few VB sites.

I'm getting tired of patching my board and installing mod's all the time to try to get the features I want.VB offers exactly what I'm looking for but being a full time student with a part time job...and a huge car payment....the price keeps me with Phpbb. I think both are great. And have their own benefits. But VB should have more features and better support because you have to pay for it.And im not in my site to make money...so i dont want to start advertising stuff on my site and what not.....but as an admin. I think VB is great if you have the money.(and some time I will figure out how to get it)

Comment

Currently production for vBulletin 2.X series has ended with us many vBulletin owners waiting for an entire new vBulletin (version 3).

Version 3 has a lot more new features all which you can take for a test drive at http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3

You don't have to pay for support here. I've yet to pay a dime for tech support or sales support. I think you may be confusing us with UBB.

DO what I did to earn money for vBulletin. Pick up loose change on the street and wherever you go. You'd be surprise how much it adds up

I did that and Now I own a vBulletin Board
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

IMHO, vBulletin is the best forums software i have ever run. It is user friendly, easy to customize and install hacks, and i have even been able to teach myself coding though experimenting with the code vBulletin uses. It is the best!

Comment

Currently I am a user of phpBB2.0.1. I am considering moveing over to VB. One of my main issues with phpBB is file attachments within posts. Frequently my user need to post files larger than 200MB. phpBB2 connot handle this because my webhost puts on some type of php restriction. This is a known problem that many other phpBB users have. Does VB have any issues with large file attachements? Are there any known problems or restrictions? Is there a way I can install and eval the software?

-Thanks,
                  -Slick

Comment

If file uploads are restricted in PHP itself, you will experience the same problems.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

My New Forum

This is my first message posting here.

I have a web site for horn players with a forum which is free and open to use with no registration or log in needed. This was OK 10 years ago when I started but now, with rogue posters (who can post under any names they like) and threats of legal action from a dodgy car dealer I am going to have to go modern.

So my question is; is this the best software for my forum, easy to use and still fun to read? My current forum has lots of hits and is fairly anarchic.

Thanks, OLD TONE

Comment

Yeah, vBulletin is the choice for you. It offers you with all the tools to properly and quickly manage and control your online community.

Comment

Old Tone: what Wayne said 4 years ago holds true today. vBulletin won't be the best choice for everybody. It might be the best choice for you.

Modern, too, holds different preconceptions. What do you want your site to do? Does posting on vBulletin work perfectly for you? Or is there something that you're missing?

Here's the 5 software for forum I always consider before starting anything:

www.phpbb.com - phpBB - as forums go, this is the most generic. vBulletin has more features to start, but phpBB has many more mods available, and it's fairly reliable.

www.drupal.org - Drupal - this is my favorite, but I'm biased. Drupal does much more than a forum, which is why I pick it, though its forum is fairly basic. (www.drupal.org/forum for an example) It handles posting, though, so if you want a basic forum this is the way to go. (Yet again, I'm a biased Drupal lover.)

www.getvanilla.com - Vanilla - a minimalist forum piece. Users absolutely love this software, since it makes forum browsing easy as all heck. It's not as moddable, so you can't get an arcade or anything for it, but it's an amazing piece of work all the same.

www.invisionboard.com - Invision - a forum you have to pay for, vBulletin's main rival. They do many things worse than vB, but they help communities more than vBulletin does. They have nifty profile systems, too.

www.vbulletin.com - vBulletin - what you see before you. Better than phpBB and Invision, in my opinion, when it comes to posting, but more generic than Vanilla, and less powerful than Drupal. It all comes down to what you need in your software.
                          Omega's Eye- A new way of gaming

Comment

The truth is, most users are satisfied with even the lamest forum software out there. I know because I've seen some really simple software and people merrily use it. They just care about posting and reading topics which is the same even ten years ago. But vB has the most out of the box features of any forum software and will give users a better overall experience. They may not know why, but they will know it. If your forum is in a competitive field, using vB can give you a leg up if your competition has phpBB. To use a car analogy, a luxury car and sedan can both go from A to B but a luxury car will give a much better experience doing it. The driver may not be able to list the reasons, but they will say it's better and that's why people pay for luxury cars. Hope that helps.
                            A forum for local and regional admins: adminsphere.com

Comment

Calling vB a luxury car doesn't make sense. phpBB does EXACTLY what it does, though it presents it differently. It's not a matter of better, as was said a while ago. Each person has a different opinion.

It's more like Coke or Pepsi. No real answer to that question. (Well, there actually is: Coke. But Pepsi drinkers may disagree.)
                              Omega's Eye- A new way of gaming

Comment

I am starting a new forum, and I have been playing with phpBB for about a week. It runs fine, but it is is not as "user friendly" as vBulletin, at least the way I have it set up.

The big reason I am switching is because of the more standard features vBulletin has, without installing all of the hacks. I am definitely a novice when it comes to this stuff, and I need to learn on the fly. I think vBulletin will work better for me for that reason.

One other... I needed more mid-level control of the board, like the "super mod" feature vBulletin offers. With phpBB if I wanted to give someone control to, lets say ban a user, I had to give them administration privileges. I didn't want to give someone that control and end up with them un-intentionally screwing up something at the server level.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X