Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB on Solaris...

Hello.
    My server - that will host my new BV - is almost ready.
    I was informed that it won't have Windows... but instead, it will have Solaris 8 (linux).

Will it be ok?
    I mean, will I have any probs at the installation procedure?
    And, is the installation procedure exactly the same as it is on windows?

Could anyone give me some hints/ideas/advices on this?

Also the server will have unlimited bandwidth and 400MB space. I guess the webspace is ok, right?

thanx in advance
    stark

vB will be just fine on a Linux server. Personally though, I would distrust any host who claims to offer 'unlimited bacndwidth'. Such a thing doesn't exist and it's less than honest to say it does.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanx smachol.
      What about the 400MB ? Is it enough?

A very good friend works in Forthnet - the biggest ISP company in Greece.
      Im 100% sure I can trust him... about the bandwidth.
      From the beggining I asked him about 2-4GB bandwidth at least.... so at least it will not be under that
      thanx for the advice though....

Comment

The size requirements really depend on how large and busy your forums will be. Generally 400Mb should be enough for now. If you have a lot of files attachments and the forums get very busy then you may eventually need more space.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

thanx

do u happen to know if the installation procedure is exactly the same as it is on windows?

Comment

Just FYI, Solaris is not Linux.

I have a vB3 installation running on Solaris 8 on a Sun Ultra 5, and maintaining it is pretty much the same as it would be on a Linux machine.

Just follow the instructions for a Linux install and you're away. (That said, a Linux install is hardly different from a Windows install anyway).

Comment

Ok, now thats what I was finding strange...

I know some things about earlier versions of Solaris... (I studied some general things on a Network Operating Systems module)and I knew that it was not Linux....

When I saw solaris v8 I thought maybe they decided to release Linux.... so... that made me confused

Could u direct me to a link for a Linux installation procedure?

Oh and another important question....
              I want to install the VB in a way so that when someone comes at my domain... he will be entering the forum straight away...
              So, in order for this to be happen I must install it on the ROOT directory?
              and if so... r there any security issues ?

thanx anyway
              stark
              Last edited by stark427; Mon 19 Aug '02, 4:16pm.

Comment

There is no 'Linux installation procedure' as such. Here's tis the installation guide:

http://www.vbulletin.com/manual/install.html

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Ah its the same... steps as in Windows...

thanx

Comment

May I ask if there is a downloadable free (limited - featured) test version of VB that we can download and install to see if our server is ...compatible?

Comment

No, the test version - vB Lite - was discontinued. There may or may not be another one in the future. Meanwhile as long as your system meets the minimum requirements listed on the featureas page, then you should have no problems:

http://www.vbulletin.com/features/

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X