Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to take the plunge.

Hi,

I am just about ready to take the plunge and purchase a VB license. I already have a virtual server package from Ventures online that has the required MySql and PHP versions. My questions are:

1) To what extent do I need to understand MySql and PHP to get the board running correctly?

2) If I purchase a license to run VB on my virtual server and at some point in time I need to upgrade to a dedicated server, will I have to pay for a new license? According to the sales information you are only allowed to download the software one time to one server.

3) I am totally new to this so what is the hardest thing about starting up a new board?

Sorry for the newbie questions. TIA for your responses.

Rob

1. You don't really need to understand PHP and MySQL to install and run your own forum. You just need to be able to read and follow instructions.

2. You do not need to purchase another license if you are moving your forums from one server to anopther.

3. Learn to listen to the vB Team Members. We are your friends!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I wanted to add my two cents, as a "still newbie" vBulletin administrator on my board.

(1) You don't need to know ANY MySQL or PHP to get started. And the little bits that you'll need to make optional changes or special inquiries to your database... you can ask for help, and someone can give you the code you need.

(3) The hardest thing for me was to become familiar with all the features in the admin control panel. vBulletin has so many features, making it so flexible. Especially hard for me has been to get used to all the places where you can change permissions, for users and for forums. But that will just take some practice.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X