Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie - UBB,threads vs. Vb - could anyone give me some advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - UBB,threads vs. Vb - could anyone give me some advice?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase either Vb or UBB threads.. could anyone share some information on comparing those two products?

I am looking for perhaps 5k-10k members

Paul
    Thanks

BTW while browsing vbsite got to the url that was hacked when trying to view admin page demo. Is the security of Vb pretty good?

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html

The security is top level. The software is examined by two (one in house, and one not in house) secuirty experts and any bugs are fixed very quickly.

The reason the admindemo site might be saying "hacked" is because someone altered the templates through the admin cp. The whole point of it being a DEMO is allowing you to login to the admin cp. That also unfortunately casues some 12 year olds to make it look like it was "hacked".

I've tried both ubbthreads and vb and I'm clearly more favoring vb. Vbulleitn has more features, a REALLY nice admin cp (compared to barebone one you get with ubb threads). Also if you looked at the preview site for the upcoming version 3 of vbulleitn (beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/) you should easily see how nice it is.

Here's something you should consider though. You're likely to get somewhat biased answers on these forums and ubb ones. But here's a question that you can ask to see how much nicer vb is... ask how many moved from vb to ubb threads on ubb boards, and ask how many moved to vb from ubb here. I'll bet you much more moved to vb from ubb.

Comment

I don't think either company will give you numbers (if they are even able to) on how many moved each way. As far as us, we can't because we provide a zip file of importers and hence can't track when the UBB one is downloaded so we have no idea.

That said, go ahead and ask over there. Then get ready to get peod when you realize they ban you for mentioning vB.

Comment

In all fairness I mentioned vBulletin over there a number of times and I haven't been banned.

I think security is better in vBulletin (no need to chmod any files). So is the general look and feel of the board, the control panel, etc.

Threads is better in that users can choose the language in which they want the forum software to operate in. Board look is also customisable through templates.

Has anyone ever done a speed benchmark for both programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad
          In all fairness I mentioned vBulletin over there a number of times and I haven't been banned.

I think security is better in vBulletin (no need to chmod any files). So is the general look and feel of the board, the control panel, etc.

Threads is better in that users can choose the language in which they want the forum software to operate in. Board look is also customisable through templates.

Has anyone ever done a speed benchmark for both programs?
          Languages among MANY MANY new features that ubb threads haven't dreamed of is in vb3. See the alpha site at beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/

Comment

To be honest I have both vBulletin and Threads licenses but I have not chosen which board to move to. Both companies have their pros and cons and I've still to make a decision which way to go.

Comment

making sure the UBBthreads version of yours can be imported to vB, i'd try UBBthreads first and them import into vB

or just install both and test them and their backend Admin functions out for a few weeks, you can give yourself practical experience with both and make up your own mind

i purchased a copy of vBulletin before i became apart of the vB team, and i'm 100% sure you'll find from your own experiences that vB as a product and it's support, will come out top on your decision

don't forgot to check out vBulletin 3 alpha preview at http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/ preview into what vB 2.2.x users will get as a totally free upgrade when it comes out
              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Right now I run a UBB license and the decision has been made to move to a PHP/MySQL solution. I tried moving to vB a while back but the delays in the import module (over three months...) and the problems associated with it changed my mind.

The same applies to Infopop, they seem to care even less about their importer, so I wonder how they upgrade peoples boards when someone pays them to do it.

Either way I'm holding off until vBulletin 3.0 & Threads 6.1 come out. Then I'll run a comparison, though to me the most important element is the multi-lingual capability.

What's the general ETA for vB3?

Comment

What's the general ETA for vB3?
                  Sometime in the future.

Nobody knows, not even the developers. They're working & working, and they just opened the vB3 Public Alpha Preview Site.

[edit]As I was unclear behind the reason for lack of ETA, it is as Eva said, to prevent disappointment in the event that they fail to meet it.[/edit]
                  Last edited by Andy Z; Tue 13th Aug '02, 8:05am.
                  - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

No ETA at all? Forget it, I think I've just made up my mind...

Comment

No ETA at all? Forget it, I think I've just made up my mind...
                      I'd wait until you hear a moderator contribute to this thread.
                      Email: [email protected]
                      Site: Under Construction

Comment

There is no exact time set for the release of vB3, we just opened the beta site last week, and we wouldnt want to set a date we couldnt keep as it would lead to disappointment.

You will see the progress at http://beta.vbulletin.com/vb3/ and after the beta site is done then theres the whole process of going through the preview releases (beta releases) then the release candidates before a final version even appears.
                        Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I was actually looking for a rough ETA, something along the lines of "first quarter 2003."

Comment

I was actually looking for a rough ETA, something along the lines of "first quarter 2003."
                            vb3 most likely will be in the fourth quarter of 2002 if that's what you're asking.

Comment

Thank you Codename49! All I wanted is a rough estimate - I wasn't after something along the lines of 16:00 GMT February 14th.

If late 2002 is the official ETA then that's good enough for me. It's better to give a rough estimate than no estimate at all.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X