Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some questions about vBulletin handling large amounts of visitors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about vBulletin handling large amounts of visitors.

Hi guys,

I have heard from people on another forum that vBulletin cannot handle large amounts of visitors because of the strain it is on MySQL. Can you offer some counter arguments for these?

Please note that most of these people usually know their stuff, but I'm not saying they're right.

"The problem with MySQL is that it only supports table level locking. This means that while a write operation is happening on a table, the whole table is blocked for any other access to avoid corruption. So, any time a user posts, all other people have to wait until that post is finished until they can continue using the forum.
    Even worse, vBB also has write accesses to the post table during display of the threads (namely for the updating of the view counts), so any thread views can only happen sequentially. And this is what usually breaks large forums."

"MySQL is also only fast when the concurrent connections are low. Get a high traffic site and it all starts to fall apart, and just about anything will out-perform it then. "

"If you want to improve vBulletin for heavy load environments, you have to get rid of the often called UPDATE and INSERTS. "

Thanks

Many busy sites switched to vbulletin... Why? Perhaps because it handles traffic well?
    HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Originally posted by HFT :: Techguy
      Many busy sites switched to vbulletin... Why? Perhaps because it handles traffic well?
      I know a forum that has 300 people on it at once usually, and vBulletin handles it very poorly. He had to take out all kinds of features and hire someone to optimize his code.

From what I gather, vBulletin is awesome and bandwidth handling, but when it comes to CPU cycles, it eats them up. It's flexible, but the downside of that is that it strains MySQL.

Can any techie comment on this?

Comment

Well, take a look at features sites on the vbulletin.com homepage, those usually have more than 500 online users at once, and have no problems. And vbulletin, from my experience is not CPU intensive.
        I recently switched from 'another' forum software and I am very happy with vb
        HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Yes there are plenty of large vB forums listed at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430 who get 600 - 1,500 users and up to 14,000 - 20,000 posts/day (granted you'd need 2 server setups when you get to that kind of activity)

the vB table locking issue is with mainly thread views updating and the searchindex, both of which in vB 3.x have been redone to drastically ease this issue.

Most (and not all) vB forums which claim to have performance issues with vB in fact have unoptimised mysql configuration settings causing the unwanted loads or place vB on under performing server hardware (like expecting WinXP OS to run the same on a P166MMX with 32MB ram as it does on a P4 1.6A, 256MB DDRAM or even a P3 1ghz, 256MB)

I'm basically the mysql tweaking guy, and I've probably handled 100s of support issues where the client's vB was causing high loads, and 85-95% of time it was due to poorly or inadequately configured mysql configuration settings or that mysql was left at default mysql settings which were originally meant for light mysql use.

there's plenty of ways to optimise mysql

http://mysql.he.net/doc/M/y/MySQL_Optimisation.html

http://mysql.he.net/doc/O/p/Optimising_the_Server.html

http://i4net.tv/marticle/get.php?act...le&articleid=3

Now the other 5% of issues, can usually be attributed to other server side application bugs (i.e. PHP 4.2.1's memory leak/handling bug, some linux 2.4 earlier kernels with memory management problems, mysql 3.23.x earlier versions with memory leaks and other bugs, apache bugs), unoptimised settings and yes mysql table locking issues for vB forums with very high concurrent mysql connections.

to find out if it's a table locking issue you'd have to look at the mysql processlist via shell as root user - the table locking mainly occurs on updating thread views and searches

for vB 2.2.x users who experience this they can apply 2 hacks from vbulletin.org, deferred threadviews and auto shutdown search based on specific load average

in vB 3.x you'll have admin options available to defer thread view updates to be scheduled to be updated at a later time easing the issues

Note: I'm not a vB developer only a moderator/tech guy
          :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
          :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
          :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Re: Some questions about vBulletin handling large amounts of visitors.

Originally posted by agentd
            post is finished until they can continue using the forum.
            Even worse, vBB also has write accesses to the post table during display of the threads (namely for the updating of the view counts), so any thread views can only happen sequentially. And this is what usually breaks large forums."

Thanks
            This has been solved, this information is stored seperatly (and updated on mass via a new inbuilt cron system) drastically reducing the problem mentioned here
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk
            DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X