Some pre-sales questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some pre-sales questions

I'm currently using UBB Classic. I'm thinking about switching to VBulletin.

1) Are there any performance issues with VBulleting regarging browsers like Netscape 4.5x versions? They seem to have problems with the UBB Classic that I'm using and I want to know if the same problems exist with VBulletin. If there are performance problem with Netscape vs MSIE I'd like to find out now, before I switch.

2) Also, are there any issues with regards to many simultaneous post attempts. That is, is there ever any problem with multiple people trying to reply to the same post (crosslinking, etc).

3) There is some import feature or such that allows importing an existing UBB into VBulletin. It seems unlikely that this is a 100% importing. What limitations are there to importing an existing UBB Classic installation?

4) Does VB have a VBCode for Flash objects or is there ever any plan to allow a Flash object similar to an IMG object?

5) Can forums be hidden from view so that the only way they can be found is by knowing a URL? Some other board software has a restricted feature where a password is required but that is a little inconvenient for members.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to simply hide a forum?

6) Related to 5: is there a way to have a grope members such that one group can have access to some forums and different group can have access to others, without the need for a 2nd password?

Grouping of members would be the only determining factor to which groups one could access.

Thanks,

1) the only issue might be rendering time which has nothing to do with the forum software itself. older browsers like netscape 4.5 have... problems

2) no problems. there are vBulletin forums out there that support thousands of simultaneous users with no problems. the software can handle it.

3) vBulletin comes with a UBB importer that imports all forums, threads, posts, and members. i think the only limitation is that the imported posts aren't linked to the users that posted them... the usernames are on the post but the usergroup of the poster for imported posts becomes "Guest."

4) you can add a new vB code for flash though the admin control panel.

5) vBulletin has a permission system that allows you to restrict access to certain forums for certain groups. there is also an option to hide the forum from view if the logged in user doesn't have permission to view that forum.

6) yes. you can set forum level group permissions in the admin control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
      3) vBulletin comes with a UBB importer that imports all forums, threads, posts, and members. i think the only limitation is that the imported posts aren't linked to the users that posted them... the usernames are on the post but the usergroup of the poster for imported posts becomes "Guest."
      Actually, it links posts with their Author's new accounts. It also imports styles and private messages. I don't think it imports wordlets.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

This brings up another question.

Does the import, bring in the account information as well? I mean if someone is a registered member in the UBB system, are they automagically a registered member after importing into VB?

I really can't tell much from the Lite version regarding the Admin capability. There is apparently an Admin Control Panel site but it does not let anyone log in to see what can be changed.

Is there a test site or something that can allow me to see what capability exists in the Control panel on the full version?

I can't even tell if I will be able to have different styles for different forums. Does the full version allow for different forums to have different buttons, colors, gradients, etc.

Can I add custom graemlins and avatars?

Is there an admin control that can allow or block user deletion and editing of their own posts and threads?

Is it or can it be time limited?

Is there any popup private message notification capability?

What is the best way to see the full capability of this software?

Thanks,
        Last edited by ipscone; Sun 14 Jul '02, 8:10pm.

Comment

Is there a test site or something that can allow me to see what capability exists in the Control panel on the full version?
          http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.html

I can't even tell if I will be able to have different styles for different forums. Does the full version allow for different forums to have different buttons, colors, gradients, etc.
          yep. you can create multiple styles and then set each forum to use a different style.

Can I add custom graemlins and avatars?
          yes

Is there an admin control that can allow or block user deletion and editing of their own posts and threads?
          yes

Is it or can it be time limited?
          yes

Is there any popup private message notification capability?
          yes

What is the best way to see the full capability of this software?
          visit the admin demo link at the top of this post

Comment

Sounds like it can do everything I want.

I have tried the Admin demo but it won't let me log in to see what it does as Admin. I have tried this account and also created another over there just to make sure it didn't require a new login.

But it won't let me login. Says invalid user.

Comment

Username: admin | Password: admin (Case Sensitive)

Comment

people get in there and screw with the admin account on the demo. it is reset on a regular basis.

Comment

Perhaps my last question before I decide. I think I'm going to get the full version.

Is there a feature for recent visitor list or stats that show who or how many are online at any given time?

The installation of the Lite version is about the easiest installation that I have ever seen. Is the full version just as easy?

Comment

Originally posted by ipscone
                    Is there a feature for recent visitor list or stats that show who or how many are online at any given time?
                    Look on the index... it shows the current users online. - There are many hacks for other "purposes." i.e. Users that were online today

The installation of the Lite version is about the easiest installation that I have ever seen. Is the full version just as easy?
                    Of Course!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X